ADKHighPeaks  
Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Go Back   ADKHighPeaks > Other Places in the Northeast United States > Catskill Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Jim Kennard
High Peaks Explorer

I am a Catskill 35er
Catskill Triple Bagger Huntersfield, Richmond, Silver Hollow April 20, 2013

I haven’t been back to the Cats for almost a year after having had severely sprained my ankle last spring. The recovery has been slow. Thought I would hike a couple of the shorter distance Catskill Hundred Highest peaks to get back into hiking shape again. There were torrential rains in the Catskill’s on Friday night which probably washed away much of the snow remaining on the mountains. The Esopus and other creeks were running fast with all the melting snow. Saturday began as a wonderful cool sunny day.

Huntersfield Mountain: I drove up to the northern part of the Catskill Park and to the high point of Jim Cleveland Road. There is a small area just off to the side where one can park a vehicle. Across the road is the beginning of a very nice woods road that takes one almost to the Huntersfield summit. Just before the summit there is a trail (yellow markers) to the left that leads directly to the summit. The trail on the right leads to the lean-to. This is a really nice mile walk in the woods. From the lean-to you can view southeast to the Cave Mountains, Hunter, and Windham.

Richmond Mountain: From Huntersfield, I drove over to Richmond Mountain and to the PA just off CR32C. The logging road is in very good shape and you can drive up to the top of this road and find a spot off to the side of the road just before it starts to head back down. This is where you start bushwhacking east to the summit of Richmond. Stay to the SE side of the ridge to remain on state land. All I can say about this hike is beech whips & nettles, beech whips & nettles, etc , etc and graffiti on a tree at the summit. Richmond will not be my list of favorite CHH mountains. The best part of this experience is the great view to the northwest from mid-way up the logging road.

View from Richmond Mountain logging road

The ankle still felt pretty good and there was still time to hike one more mountain.

Silver Hollow: I found the parking area up on Notch Road off of CR214 just before the private road sign and slightly below the house before this sign. It is only good for parking two vehicles. One car was already there. On my way up the private road to the trail, I met two legendary hikers Dennis & Sonny. Dennis has completed the 770 (all the summits in New England and NYS of 3k or higher) and Sonny is getting close to completion. WOW!! The trail up an old woods road (yellow markers) begins to the left and across from the driveway to the house at the end of the private road. On my way up I realized that I had not let my son know about this hike. Fortunately cell service actually worked here…..amazing!! At the col the yellow trail continues on and the blue trail to the summit of Silver Hollow is on the left. About half way up I realized that I did not have any lights with me. If my ankle gives out on me and I have a very slow decent I could be in trouble. What to do!!!! I am going for it. Just be very careful! The hike to the summit switches back and forth as one gains elevation. No views at the summit. Bummer!!! I am all about the good views as a reward for the effort to reach the top of the mountain. Got back down with no problems and while I still had some daylight.

What a great day to be out in the woods and return to some good Catskill hiking. Cheers, Jim

Huntersfield, Richmond, Silver Hollow pics:
Catskill 3500 #1888 / #774W
ADK 37/46
CHH 68/102
Saranac 6er #590

ADK member: Genesee Valley Chapter
The Explorers Club member: Fellow National 2013

Websites:
www.shipwreckworld.com Discovery: USAF C-45 abandoned in flight - Posted 7/9/14
www.jimkennard.com
...Peak Experiences of a Catskill Senior Hiker

"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves."
- Sir Edmund Hillary
Jim Kennard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jim Kennard For This Useful Post:
barry_g (04-23-2013), Hermit (04-22-2013), Hiker41 (04-22-2013), Peakbagr (04-22-2013), SendHelp (04-22-2013), sparty (04-25-2013), TFR (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
mudhook
Forum Moderator

Good to hear from you again. I agree these may be in the highest 100, but they are certainly not in the top 100
mudhook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
TFR
Peek-Bagger

I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er I cross post at ADKForum
Jim, welcome back!

There is still a little snow up high in the firs, and on the North sides of the higher peaks.

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
President Catskill 3500 Club
CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to
TFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
CatskillKev
Commander

I am a Catskill 35er
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhook View Post
Good to hear from you again. I agree these may be in the highest 100, but they are certainly not in the top 100
The thing I like about Richmond is there happens to be a very lucky lineup of notches that lead to the greatest peak at the end. First there is the low point between Tower and Cave Mountains. Then there is Rusk's Evergreen and Packsaddle. And then beyond that notch is Mink Hollow between West Westkill and North Dome, and there beyond these three notches is Slide Mountain! Perfect.
mudhook (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Laurie Rankin
Commander

Location: Tillson, NY Avatar: My Granddaughter signs in for the first time!
I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er
Great to hear that you had such a wonderful return trip and are doing so well, Jim! and to meet such great folks out there as well!
Laurie Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
jtbigmoose

What, no pix of the legendary Messrs. Crespo & Martineau you were so fortunate to encounter?!
jtbigmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
Jim Kennard
High Peaks Explorer

I am a Catskill 35er
YEP,

I was kicking myself later for not getting a pic of those two legends. I got a business card.... does that half qualify !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbigmoose View Post
What, no pix of the legendary Messrs. Crespo & Martineau you were so fortunate to encounter?!
ADK 37/46
CHH 68/102
Saranac 6er #590

Websites:
www.jimkennard.com

- Sir Edmund Hillary
Jim Kennard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
Dennis C.

Jim, it was certainly nice to meet you on the Silver Hollow Road! We really didn't expect to meet anyone there. Sonny still has a bunch of CAT 3000s to do. We should plan to do some together when we're out that way again.
Dennis C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
Jim Kennard
High Peaks Explorer

I am a Catskill 35er
Dennis, Great to meet you and Sonny. The shipwreck search season is just starting up here but I will be trying to sandwich in some CHH hikes in between the good weather days on Lake Ontario. Getting pulled two ways between the searching in the lake and hiking in the woods!! Send me a PM on when you may be back in the CATS and what you have in mind for hikes. Cheers, Jim
ADK 37/46
CHH 68/102
Saranac 6er #590

Websites:
www.jimkennard.com

- Sir Edmund Hillary