ADKHighPeaks  
Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Go Back   ADKHighPeaks > Hiking > Adirondack Mountain Hiking
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Tin-man

BearVault - Early models

I currently have an older version of the BearVault and reached out to them regarding replacement of the older version. Here is their response:

James, as of last month Yellow Yellow is no more…however… BearVault is working on a new model for the hikers in the Marcy Dam area of the Adirondacks for 2013. Once the new model is approved, we will have the new units located at the ranger permitting stations for the High Peaks area where you can swap out your current BearVault canister before a hike. The purpose of this new model is to address the ability of a bear(s) in the Marcy Dam area to open our current models. This swap out program will allow you to confidently backpack in the High Peaks area around Marcy Dam with a BearVault canister.

First we have to get the new model approved…we hope to have that happen by mid summer

Tin-man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tin-man For This Useful Post:
Altbark (11-26-2012), Trail Boss (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Kyler
Member of Parliament

adkhighpeaks Foundation Board of Directors I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
LOL, at least they are keeping up with ADK news. From what I understand, the rangers believe that Yellow Yellow taught some other bears how to open the BearVault. I sold my BearVault on eBay to someone out West and bought a Bare Boxer.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
DackerDan
Commander

I wonder if this means they will loan you a new one temporarily or if they are doing it on site so they don't have to swap them all out.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Tin-man

My understanding is that this is a permanent swap out program. After some research seems that they have done the same in the past with the Rae Lake area (Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks)
Tin-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
Commissionpoint
Alpine Addict

I cross post at ADKForum
I'm waiting to see if there is a glut of negative bear encounters this coming Memorial Day Weekend when a bunch of people return and potentially think the bear problem is over due to Y/Y's demise. I bet there is a whole bunch of people that get 'the gong'.
I know it sounds corny, man, but I like to bring folks joy, and I like to have a good time. I know folks like to be with somebody who's having a good time. You sure as hell don't want to be with somebody who's having a bad day.
-WJ

Commissionpoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
idratherbehiking
Consultant

http://bearvault.com/

http://www.rei.com/product/624081/ga...tant-container

Are you talking about bear vault as in the specific brand that has a record of failing? I have the Garcia model below. Other than being heavy and non-transparent does this also have an unsuccesful record?

ADK HP 36/46
ADK HPW 10/46

http://www.idratherbehiking80.blogspot.com/ My photos

"There's no such thing as failure who keeps trying, coasting near the bottom is the only disgrace." - John Popper
idratherbehiking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
DackerDan
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post

Are you talking about bear vault as in the specific brand that has a record of failing? I have the Garcia model below. Other than being heavy and non-transparent does this also have an unsuccesful record?
Those are approved
Old 11-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
vieWseeker
Winter46er

I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post

far as I know the Garcia has NO issues..
ADK 46-R #6750W
CL-50 - #51
CATSKILLS- 9/39
NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos
vieWseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
halocline
Consultant

I thought the new model bearvault would be ready before this upcoming summer. Now it looks like I'll be buying something else.
halocline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
goneja
ADK:46 C3500:10

I am a 46er
gotta respect a company that is willing to switch them out like that, even if it has been a few years.
goneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #11
gregpphoto
Barger

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneja View Post
gotta respect a company that is willing to switch them out like that, even if it has been a few years.
I feel like at this point theyd be better off redesigning the whole darn thing but hey, ill give credit where credits due as far as customer service goes.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:27 AM   #12
BradleyC1316

Does anyone know did this exchange program happen?
BradleyC1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
halocline
Consultant

Not yet to my knowledge. I'm on the list for an exchange. Last time I talked with them, they were supposed to be ready in August, so hopefully it will be soon.

There's a new canister I ran across online with a lid that doubles as a fry pan.
http://lighter1.com/

It looks suspiciously like a BV with a different lid. It's a neat idea, although I wonder about the wisdom of having the canister lid actually used in food prep; talk about broadcasting smell. Maybe it doesn't matter.
halocline is offline   Reply With Quote