ADKHighPeaks  
Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Go Back   ADKHighPeaks > Hiking > General Hiking Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
NorthBay
Consultant

Bear Canisters

What do you guys use? Pros? Cons? I figured I better get one for the High Peaks area if I'm camping since its required. I just don't want to waste my money on junk and have to purchase another down the road.

Steve
Old 06-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
MountainWolf

We have the Backpacker Food Cache, both full and half size (so we don't have to carry a ton of weight if we are just doing one overnight).

We bought ours at EMS (http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...359843.3835286)

Works perfectly (though since no bear has TRIED to get in, I guess I can't say haha), but we have no complaints. It's a little heavy, but I don't know that you can really sacrifice weight with this item.

46er: June 9th, 2012

"We listened for a voice crying in the wilderness. And we heard the jubilation of wolves!" -Durwood L. Allen

MountainWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MountainWolf For This Useful Post:
DSettahr (06-07-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
vieWseeker
Winter46er

I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainWolf View Post
We have the Backpacker Food Cache, both full and half size (so we don't have to carry a ton of weight if we are just doing one overnight).

We bought ours at EMS (http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...359843.3835286)

Works perfectly (though since no bear has TRIED to get in, I guess I can't say haha), but we have no complaints. It's a little heavy, but I don't know that you can really sacrifice weight with this item.
seems to be the go to can but didnt know they offered the half size, i know bearboxer does. full size is not that heavy.. ive used it for two, holds 4 days of food easy...solo shorter trips its nice for food/snacks and garbage..
ADK 46-R #6750W
CL-50 - #51
CATSKILLS- 9/39
NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos
vieWseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vieWseeker For This Useful Post:
DSettahr (06-07-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
JoeCedar
Commander

adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er I cross post at ADKForum
No Bear Vault

Bear Vault is a great product for use anywhere except the High Peaks. See the paragraph at the bottom of the description. at REI.
JoeCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeCedar For This Useful Post:
DSettahr (06-07-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
lionelhutz
Consultant

I've used the advanced (double snap) BV model in the lake colden/high peaks region.
The story is bascially 1 bear figured it out and hasn't passed it on.
lionelhutz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lionelhutz For This Useful Post:
DSettahr (06-07-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
NorthBay
Consultant

Cool...Thanks for the info. I really hate to add this thing to my backpack with what they weigh. But I guess I'd rather have my food safe than in a bears belly.

Steve
Old 06-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
pete_hickey
Slave Driver

I am a 46er
The one I use needs a quarter to open it (someone will know the brand). I'm confident that bears cannot open this, since they have no pockets in which to hold their quarters.

On the down-side... it's one of the first, and is a bit heavier than the others.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
JoeCedar
Commander

adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er I cross post at ADKForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBay View Post
Cool...Thanks for the info. I really hate to add this thing to my backpack with what they weigh. But I guess I'd rather have my food safe than in a bears belly.

Steve
In making the requirement, I don't think DEC was concerned about the bears getting your food, they were concerned about the bears getting YOU.
JoeCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:22 AM   #9
goneja
ADK:46 C3500:10

I am a 46er
Bare boxer contender, it's the smallest, and good for one person. It's lasted me 3 nights, and could have gone longer.
goneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
DSettahr
ɹǝpuɐɯɯoɔ

I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er I cross post at ADKForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
I've used the advanced (double snap) BV model in the lake colden/high peaks region.
The story is bascially 1 bear figured it out and hasn't passed it on.
The problem with the bearvault "improvement" is that the bear is basically just ripping the lids of the canisters. Adding a second snap does nothing to make this any harder for the bear to do.

If you purchased it at EMS, they should take it back and give you a full refund. (At least, they did for me.)
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
SanDimas1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_hickey View Post
The one I use needs a quarter to open it (someone will know the brand). I'm confident that bears cannot open this, since they have no pockets in which to hold their quarters.

On the down-side... it's one of the first, and is a bit heavier than the others.
I was mugged by a bear last weekend. He stole my wallet and all the change from my pockets, so watch out, he's got the key to your food.
SanDimas1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #12
sukigraybaby
Banned

Quote:
What do you guys use? Pros? Cons? I figured I better get one for the High Peaks area if I'm camping since its required. I just don't want to waste my money on junk and have to purchase another down the road.

Steve
I went with the Bearikade Scout; 1 pound, 11 ounces empty.

http://www.wild-ideas.net/index2.html
sukigraybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sukigraybaby For This Useful Post:
DSettahr (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 07:17 AM   #13
vieWseeker
Winter46er

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukigraybaby View Post
I went with the Bearikade Scout; 1 pound, 11 ounces empty.

http://www.wild-ideas.net/index2.html
thats alot of coin for 1#...
ADK 46-R #6750W
CL-50 - #51
CATSKILLS- 9/39
NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos
Old 06-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #14
NorthBay
Consultant

I was darn near sold on one of the Bearikades until I saw the price tag on them... Holy crap! They do look nice and well built and I'm a firm believer of "You get what you pay for", but man I think I'll have to put up with the extra weight on the Garcia. I wouldn't have a coin left to open the Bearikade.

Steve
vieWseeker (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #15
vieWseeker
Winter46er

Quote:
I was darn near sold on one of the Bearikades until I saw the price tag on them... Holy crap! They do look nice and well built and I'm a firm believer of "You get what you pay for", but man I think I'll have to put up with the extra weight on the Garcia. I wouldn't have a coin left to open the Bearikade.

Steve
i think you will be very happy with Garcia.... I am.. and only at $70 or so, you can fill it with many Cheeseburgers...
ADK 46-R #6750W
CL-50 - #51
CATSKILLS- 9/39
NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos
Old 06-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #16
Kescrusader

I know this will make me sound foolish, but you folks don't actually carry a coin for the sole purpose of opening the Garcias, right? I always use my knife or the square edge of the MSR cookware grip to open it. Again, I am sure that most (if not all) of you are now thinking I am an idiot for bringing up something so obvious, but you never know.
Kescrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kescrusader For This Useful Post:
DSettahr (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #17
sukigraybaby
Banned

Quote:

Steve
I've used it 20 times so far,(owned it since March); works out to be $9.95 per overnight, the price of a freeze dried dinner that I bring. Just gas from my home near Clifton Park to the South Meadow trail head is $18.00 one way. In another 20 trips, the cost will be $4.98 per overnight (should be by October). I have no other hobby other than waxing my sports car and at age 55 with two right knee operations for meniscus tears, every ounce helps me preserve what I have left in that joint. Some people wouldn't think twice to spend several hundred dollars on one golf club, let alone thousands on a complete set. Plus you can always rent it out when your not using it for like $5.00 a night. In 40 one night rentals it's paid for. EMS charges $8.00 for those behemoths Garcias for one night. No brainer for me on the value, lightness and cost factors.
sukigraybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sukigraybaby For This Useful Post:
DSettahr (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #18
DSettahr
ɹǝpuɐɯɯoɔ

I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er I cross post at ADKForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukigraybaby View Post
I've used it 20 times so far,(owned it since March); works out to be $9.95 per overnight, the price of a freeze dried dinner that I bring.
Holy cow... you pay $9.95 for a single meal in the woods?

I'd be broke if I let myself spend that much on food... That would be more than $2,000 a year in just backpacking meals for me...
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #19
NorthBay
Consultant

I'm not knocking you for spending that kind of change on the Bearikade. I'm simply saying I couldn't afford to do the same. I have a multitude of hobbies that cost me a chunk of change. Including climbing the 46...heck that costs me nearly $300 in fuel alone just to get to the High Peaks Region and back home. Plus the High Peaks is really the only place I would really use a canister. When I backpack, I usually just employ the rope/tree method. I simply couldn't justify spending that kind of change on something that would see limited use when there are other alternatives.

If you can justify your purchase then that makes it worth it no matter the cost.

Steve
DSettahr (06-07-2012), vieWseeker (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #20
pete_hickey
Slave Driver

I am a 46er
Quote:
........heck that costs me nearly $300 in fuel alone just to get to the High Peaks Region and back home......
That was the main driving force for me to try getting to the High Peaks by bicycle. Kind of interesting to have a trip down, climb a few peaks, a trip back, and total travelling expenses are less than $10.00.

(Fitness has nothing to do with it)
DSettahr (06-07-2012)