ADKHighPeaks  
Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Go Back   ADKHighPeaks > Hiking > Adirondack Mountain Hiking
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #41
DackerDan
Commander

Thanks Jack! Those repairs if they come fit my schedule for Alan this summer.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #42
JoeCedar
Commander

adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er I cross post at ADKForum
Lake Jimmy Outlet

Looking at the USGS topo map, it appears that the outlet of Lake Jimmy is in the north bay and runs NW roughly parallel to the hiking trail through a swamp to the Hudson just above the bridge. The very low slope and some blockage from Irene would explain the rise in lake level, which had not changed much for years.

Jack's bushwhack around the north bay would cross the outlet and then an inlet coming in from the north. That sounds like the way to go, till the level goes down.
JoeCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #43
DSettahr
ɹǝpuɐɯɯoɔ

I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er I cross post at ADKForum
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthrea...ver-the-Hudson!

I'm not sure what the poster's affiliation with the 46ers is, but it sounds like, in addition to being illegal, any hike that uses the closed bridge might not count towards completion of the 46.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #44
Photobug65
W46-R finish on Cascade

I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er
I'm just glad it was -20 F when we did it... no water worries!!

ADK 46-R 7090W
Saranac Lake 6er (3x) 11U, UW
Catskill 3500 2265; 921W
Photobug65 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Photobug65 For This Useful Post:
Altbark (05-06-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #45
Jack7957
Jr. Commander

adkhighpeaks Site Supporter
Myself and three others did the Mt. Adams hike in mid-April, at that time the Lake Jimmy bridge was still crossable. The section on the lower right of the picture was still attached. Except for some seesaw action on the first set of boards, it was an easy cross.

And for the Hudson River bridge, we walked over there and got pictures, but in no way would we have tried to cross it in it's present condition. Water was about up to my knees at the official crossing point. Funny thing was we were concentrating so much on just getting across that no one got any photos of us wading.
Jack7957 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack7957 For This Useful Post:
dailey7779 (05-09-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #46
MtnManJohn
Never too much mud!

I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er I cross post at ADKForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKJack View Post

It is a short bushwhack to the north end of the lake. Go about 50 yards past the beaver dam and you will find enough downed trees to cross the inlet. I put on my microspikes to get more traction on the wet tree crossing but it is not necassary. Once across you will hit an old logging road that will take you right back to the trail.

I'm told (and looking at the map seems to verify this) that the bushwhack to the north end of Lake Jimmy goes over private land, albeit in the Adirondack Park. Thus, would it still be permissible to do such a bushwhack as a "detour" around the LJ bridge?
MtnManJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #47
ADKJack
Sure, Why not!

adkhighpeaks Foundation Board of Directors adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
A short distance west of lake Jimmy heading N /NW is tagged as Private Property. There is an old logging road that enters from the left as you approach the lake on the trail that appears to be the edge of the PP. You will notice that the trees are marked with a yellow blaze and further in there is a posted sign from that point East you should be OK, so if you stay between that old logging rd and the Lake you should be OK.
"Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
Ed Viesturs
ADKJack is offline   Reply With Quote