ADKHighPeaks  
Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Go Back   ADKHighPeaks > Hiking > Adirondack Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
rbalbs
Adirondack Addict

I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er
Dix Range - 4/13/12

My dreams of a micro-spike speedhike didn't look very likely once I saw the snow covered peaks from the Northway. As it was the spikes never left my pack.

Bike made for quick time on the road in and out. Saved about 30 minutes round trip.

Trails were a mix of water, mud, and frozen earth, not too bad to the lower jct of the Beckhorn trail. Snow started almost immediately and within 200 or so vertical feet I was postholing up to a foot and there was enough cover for snowshoes. The shoes helped but the snow conditions made for slow going most of the day. Mix of mashed potatoes, slush, and no base underneath so often times I found myself sliding down the fall line on sidehill sections. It was tiring especially on the the Beckhorn slimb to South Dix and with the rapid warm up on this day the trees were litrerally raining on the trail, kind of a neat effect.

Route finding was key today and took a bit of time in a few spots to get on the path or stay on the path. I did pretty well, but a couple errant sections here and there between Dix and South Dix.

Saw a lone hiker's tracks going up East Dix via the Boquet River route, looked like they were fresh. Ran into a group of 5 backpackers who had just left the Slide Brook tent area ~ 4:45 on the way to Macomb. Had the Wilderness to myself other than that.

Alot harder hike than I had hoped for. Make sure to bring your showshoes if you are hiking this weekend in the High Peaks!

Couple Pics

A couple old junkers the Elk Lake Lodge folks fished out of the woods today

Last edited by rbalbs; 04-14-2012 at 06:07 AM.
rbalbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rbalbs For This Useful Post:
ADK French Louie (04-14-2012), Altbark (04-14-2012), bignslow (04-14-2012), ChrisCNY (04-14-2012), Crepuscular (04-14-2012), El Loco (04-13-2012), Holly Berry (04-13-2012), jelaxbroc (04-13-2012), RondackDave (04-24-2012), Snav3 (04-15-2012), veggielasagna (04-14-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
Hear the Footsteps
552/552

I wonder how Allen would have been if you'd left it for Friday.
Don
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Inge
Commander

Thumbs up THANKS so much!!!

[QUOTE=rbalbs;189008]My dreams of a micro-spike speedhike didn't look very likely once I saw the snow covered peaks from the Northway. As it was the spikes never left my pack.

Bike made for quick time on the road in and out. Saved about 30 minutes round trip.

Trails were a mix of water, mud, and frozen earth, not too bad to the lower jct of the Beckhorn trail. Snow started almost immediately and within 200 or so vertical feet I was postholing up to a foot and there was enough cover for snowshoes. The shoes helped but the snow conditions made for slow going most of the day. Mix of mashed potatoes, slush, and no base underneath so often times I found myself sliding down the fall line on sidehill sections. It was tiring especially on the the Beckhorn slimb to South Dix and with the rapid warm up on this day the trees were litrerally raining on the trail, kind of a neat effect.

Route finding was key today and took a bit of time in a few spots to get on the path or stay on the path. I did pretty well, but a couple errant sections here and there between Dix and South Dix.

Saw a lone hiker's tracks going up East Dix via the Boquet River route, looked like they were fresh. Ran into a group of 5 backpackers who had just left the Slide Brook tent area ~ 4:45 on the way to Macomb. Had the Wilderness to myself other than that.

Alot harder hike than I had hoped for. Make sure to bring your showshoes if you are hiking this weekend in the High Peaks!

THANKS RBALBS!!! Great report w/ all the info I needed and thanks for setting out a fine track indeed. I did the loop from 73, and was surprised to see so many others on the trail that didn't bring snowshoes - it certainly was easier w/ them. Thanks again...or I'd have been in the same boat.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
rbalbs
Adirondack Addict

[QUOTE=Inge;189050]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbalbs View Post
THANKS RBALBS!!! Great report w/ all the info I needed and thanks for setting out a fine track indeed. I did the loop from 73, and was surprised to see so many others on the trail that didn't bring snowshoes - it certainly was easier w/ them. Thanks again...or I'd have been in the same boat.
You are very welcome. I saw the same thing today on the trails to Marcy, Colden, and Marshall people postholing for miles on end. I wonder if they were having fun
rbalbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
adkdremn
Santanoni

I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
Beautiful!
It's the start of winter now....right??