ADKHighPeaks  
Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Go Back   ADKHighPeaks > Hiking > Other Places
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
sureño
inefficiency expert

Green Lakes State Park

Green Lakes State Park preserves the two lakes found within the Green Lakes Channel, Round Lake (a National Natural Landmark) to the west and Green Lake to the east. One of the unusual things a visitor to the park will experience is a good look at not only one but two meromictic lakes.

I spent my Easter Sunday 2012 driving from Berkshire County to the park with my (much, much) better half and then traipsing about the park for the afternoon. Given the holiday and the fact that the $8 seasonal parking fee was yet to go into effect there were quite a few folks at the park, especially at the beach at the eastern end of Green Lake. Nothing unpleasant, though, and it was nice to see folks out enjoying themselves.

I had visited the park a couple of times to snowshoe but this was my first look at the locale sans snowpack.

The post-Iroquois, pre-Park owners of the area never allowed most of the terrain to be lumbered and one of the attractions of the area is the old growth forest. There are also the Indian Ovens, outcrops of dolomite formerly used by the Onondaga as a bivy site and as hearths during nut-gathering season.

At the Indian Ovens.

Another cool aspect of a visit to the park is the amount of grassland—most of it within a big viewshed looking towards Oneida Lake—you have the opportunity to experience. (Deer experience it, too, and note that the park land is within the Lyme Disease-endemic boundary. Permethrin is your friend.)

The grasslands.

Sun goes down, deer come out.

If you ever get the chance to visit the park I do highly recommend it. There is a bit of relief but for those used to the Adirondack High Peaks it will be nothing to speak of. The real attractions are the natural and cultural features so rare east of the Mississippi nowadays.
sureño is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureño For This Useful Post:
CPalmatier (04-13-2012), procook131 (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
procook131
Commander

I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
I love Green Lakes! I lived in Syracuse for thirty years and spent plenty of time there being only about fifteen minutes from my house. Fun place to walk around for sure, also the beach in summer is great and the golf course is a challenge. Lots of good memories there; thanks for sharing!
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.” John Muir

"Not the kind of "fun" you have to force yourself to remember you're supposed to be having, but the kind where you realize for the last half a day you've had this idiot grin on your face that you just can't seem to shake." -Mirabela
procook131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
CPalmatier
Pitmaster

I cross post at ADKForum
I spent a lot of time at Green Lakes. I lived in the Syracuse area off and on for years, and still have family in the ares. Green Lakes is a great place with lots of fond memories for me . Thanks for the post.

Mr. P's Mountain Smokehouse
Schroon Lake, NY
CPalmatier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
ADKJack
Sure, Why not!

adkhighpeaks Foundation Board of Directors adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
Ten minutes from my house and it is truly a great and unique state park. One warning the area is already tick infested this year so if you hike back there check yourself thouroghly.
"Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
Ed Viesturs
ADKJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
Kyler
Member of Parliament

adkhighpeaks Foundation Board of Directors I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
If you are going to visit, the park office has maps of the trails, which are color-coded and marked. Some trails are designated for foot traffic only, and some are open to bikes.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
sureño
inefficiency expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPalmatier View Post
I lived in the Syracuse area off and on for years, and still have family in the ares. Green Lakes is a great place with lots of fond memories for me . Thanks for the post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by procook131 View Post
Lots of good memories there; thanks for sharing!
Some people talk about the Syracuse area as if it were blighted or something, but I think it has a lot of neat stuff going on. Of course, Stowe’s not bad, either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKJack View Post
Ten minutes from my house and it is truly a great and unique state park. One warning the area is already tick infested this year so if you hike back there check yourself thouroghly.
Being in the old growth is just a really different feeling
than being in a succession environment. As for the ticks, a couple of folks made mention to me when I passed them and I was like, “I’m visiting from western Massachusetts, let me tell you about deer ticks!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyler View Post
Some trails are designated for foot traffic only, and some are open to bikes.
If you take the little branch trail off the White Trail right here you can access a couple of decent whoop-de-doos.
sureño is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureño For This Useful Post:
procook131 (04-14-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
procook131
Commander

I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by sureño View Post
Some people talk about the Syracuse area as if it were blighted or something, but I think it has a lot of neat stuff going on. Of course, Stowe’s not bad, either!
It gets knocked all the time, everywhere I go. There is so much going on all around central NY, Syracuse especially. You realize just how awesome it is once you leave, and miss it just that much more!

Stowe's alright, but serves more as a "basecamp" for going anywhere I want in the Northeast within a few hours. Having views of Mansfield and Camel's Hump from any room in my apartment is pretty sweet I must say! Playground right in my backyard...
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.” John Muir

"Not the kind of "fun" you have to force yourself to remember you're supposed to be having, but the kind where you realize for the last half a day you've had this idiot grin on your face that you just can't seem to shake." -Mirabela
procook131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
CatskillKev
Commander

I am a Catskill 35er
I have been to Green Lakes. My aunt loves it there and has a way with the animals and owls. She hasn't told me about the meromictic lakes, natural landmark, etc. Syracuse has had one of the best, if not the best, basketball teams two of the last 3 years. Go Orange!

Last edited by CatskillKev; 04-14-2012 at 02:12 PM.
CatskillKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
WannabeALjr
"her sister"

adkhighpeaks Foundation Board of Directors adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er
Quote:
Originally Posted by sureño View Post
Some people talk about the Syracuse area as if it were blighted or something, but I think it has a lot of neat stuff going on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by procook131 View Post
It gets knocked all the time, everywhere I go. There is so much going on all around central NY, Syracuse especially. You realize just how awesome it is once you leave, and miss it just that much more!
Syracuse is a really great mid-sized city. Lots of city parks (Higher Onondaga, Elmwood, Sunnycrest, Thornden), lots of state & county parks an easy drive (Green Lakes, Pratts Falls, Onondaga Lake Park, etc), festivals every weekend in the summer, great diversity, places to eat, and pretty easy to navigate. Also, an easy drive to Canada, the ADKs, and NYC.

I went to college there and never left, and lived right in the heart of the city for fifteen years and still work there. I have such a soft spot for the place.

It is nice to see someone come and appreciate what it has to offer. Thanks!

46W +1W
AlpineAce: 46/46
AlpineNinja: 46/46

http://adkwannabe.wordpress.com/about/
WannabeALjr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WannabeALjr For This Useful Post:
sureño (04-14-2012)

Tags
central new york, grasslands, green lake, old growth, round lake