ADKHighPeaks  
Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Go Back   ADKHighPeaks > Hiking > Adirondack Mountain Hiking
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
NorthBay
Consultant

Whiteface via Lake Placid

I was just browsing through one of my guide books and noticed this as a possibility to go up Whiteface Mt. My daughter and I both have kayaks and thought about maybe paddling up from the south shore of LP up to Whiteface Landing and making the climb from there. There appears to be some options for a campout as well at the landing or back acoss to the Moose Island Lean to(s).

Has anybody else tried this?
DSettahr (04-14-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Gregory Karl

Sounds like an excellent plan. Have you thought about where and how to stash the kayaks while you are hiking? Also, have you considered camping at the Whiteface Brook lean-to, which is about a mile from the landing?
Gregory Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
NorthBay
Consultant

Quote:
Have you thought about where and how to stash the kayaks while you are hiking
Honestly, I haven't made it quite that far into the planning stage yet. There is also the option of toting my canoe along instead of the kayaks. The Whiteface Brook lean-to is certainly an option as well. Though, my daughter seems to like the idea of camping out on the island. We'll see what happens there.

From what I have seen and read, paddling up Lake Placid then ascending via the slide sounds like the way to go if one wants to avoid the crowds. At least until you reach the summit anyway.

Steve
Old 04-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Rock Hopper
42/46

Don't get your hopes up for the Moose Island lean-to. I checked it out two years ago and it is not in good shape.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝpuɐɯɯoɔ

I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er I cross post at ADKForum
I wouldn't worry too much about crowds on the trail if you're going up from Whiteface Landing. Most hikers climb Whiteface from the north.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Gregory Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBay View Post
From what I have seen and read, paddling up Lake Placid then ascending via the slide sounds like the way to go if one wants to avoid the crowds. At least until you reach the summit anyway.
Steve
The slide is one option. But the three-mile trail from the landing up Whiteface gets far less use than the trails from the north, so crowds are unlikely except on the summit. Toward the top you are on a lot of open rock, so it is a fun and scenic approach.
Gregory Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
veggielasagna
Consultant

I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
I just camped at Whiteface Landing and climbed WF and Esther this past Sat./Sun. I can't help you with the water approach aspect, but the camping spot at the landing is decent and there is a fire ring as well. There is also a fire pit on the shore.

It is a moderately flat walk 1.2 miles to the WF Brook Lean to from the Landing, but it gets a bit muddy (not that bad really).

From there the trail starts to climb and has a pretty good pitch until the summit. There are nice views back towards Lake Placid as you start to rise on the trail (sans leaves). Last weekend there was still significant ice and snow, but that will be a non-issue soon enough.

All and all a very pleasant trail, I thoroughly enjoyed it along with camping at WF Landing. There is a fair amount of foot traffic into the Landing, but that is as far as most venture. I would imagine even on a pleasant summer day that you would see very few people until the summit.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
NorthBay
Consultant

Snow and ice shouldn't be an issue when we head up for Whiteface. I'm not planning to do this trip until August or so. I just like to plan ahead...waaayyy ahead. That's half the fun. RMy daughter mentioned wanting to do a slide, so that is likely the route we will go.

Question for ya VeggieLasagne? (Love the name) What kind of time frame should we expect from Whiteface to Esther. I realize these two are climbed together quite often and I may just make that happen on this trip. That should wear us both out for a good night sleep.

Thanks for the info everybody.
Steve
Old 04-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝpuɐɯɯoɔ

I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er I cross post at ADKForum
I'd say you could probably get to Esther from Whiteface in about an hour. Coming back up and over Whiteface a second time will take longer, since you have a lot of elevation to regain to return to the summit.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:20 AM   #10
veggielasagna
Consultant

I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I'd say you could probably get to Esther from Whiteface in about an hour. Coming back up and over Whiteface a second time will take longer, since you have a lot of elevation to regain to return to the summit.
Right on...took me about 55 mins to descend to the start of the Esther HP and i think 60-65 to get back to the summit of WF from the start of the Esther HP. Mind you this was on a completely snow covered trail on the North Side. Having only climbed WF and Esther in the Spring I couldn't tell you what the trail is like under the snow
Old 04-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #11
NorthBay
Consultant

That should be doable in midsummer then. We'll likely paddle up the night before and stay in one of the lean to's. Then get an early start in the morning to head up the WF slide. That should allow plenty of time to hit Esther as well. We'll just stay in the lean-to that night too. That sounds like a good plan for August, thanks for the info. Now I have to plan some trips June and July.

Steve