ADKHighPeaks  
Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Go Back   ADKHighPeaks > Hiking > Other Places
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
Snickers
Commander

adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er
4/1/12 Bike - Keeseville to Plattsburgh Bay

We cancelled yesterday's ride due to the cold weather. Instead Brian and I went for a nice hike.

This morning we busied ourselves at home and waited for it to warm up before heading out for a nice 22 mile bike ride.

We left from our house and went out Thompson Road to Mace Chasm Road, which brings you to the back of Ausable Chasm. We stopped and took some pics of the Ausable River coming into Ausable Falls, then headed around the front to Rt 9. If you wanted to start your bike ride here you could leave a car in the top parking areas on either side of Rt 9. We took a walk out to the middle of the bridge to get some good pics of the falls and then returned to our bikes and headed down Rt 9 North to Ausable Point State Park.

Ausable Point State Park is a very special place. On one side of the park/road is spectacular Lake Champlain with great views over to VT and the Green Mountains, such as Mansfield, Camel's Hump, Abraham and Ellen. On the other side of the road going in is a beautiful wildlife marsh with a very active population of birds, osprey, ducks, frogs, beavers and other surprising animals. We took a ride around the state park and then back out to Rt 9 to continue north along Lake Champlain into Plattsburgh. As we approached Plattsburgh we followed the bike route signs to the bike path and down to Plattsburgh Bay and our car, but not without a stop at Claire and Carl's for some awesome Michigan's for lunch.

We did not continue on to Cumberland Head today, as it was starting to get pretty chilly out and my legs were starting to get tired from the prior two days of hiking and then today's ride.

Here are some pics, enjoy!!

Another great day with my sweetie Brian!!!

Last edited by Snickers; 04-03-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snickers For This Useful Post:
AlpineLamb (04-03-2012), Altbark (04-02-2012), Rockledge (04-04-2012), Trail Boss (04-09-2012)
Old 04-02-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
Altbark
W46?! OK 14/46

I am a 46er
Sounds like you had a great ride. The pic link didn't work for me.

What bikes are you riding? Al
Altbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
Snickers
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altbark View Post

Sorry you can't see the pics. I have them up on FB, I made them public, so I thought you would be able to see them??

As for the bikes, nothing special, we got them at Dick's. They are hybrid's and we love them.

I have the Diamond Back Vital II and Brian has the Diamond Back Edgewood LX. We are just touring around, so we are more interested in comfort than speed. They ride well, handle multiple terrain great, (dirt and sand) and are pretty light weight. I love the more upright sitting position that I get on my hybrid. We did put Avenir Comfy Soft Top Saddle Seats on our bikes. I have the woman's seat and Brian the men's, very, very nice.

Hybrid's are slower than road bikes. We usually average about 11/12 mph when we ride, no speed records being broken here.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
Snickers
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
There must be a biking forum somewhere...
You would think, but I can't seem to find it here and this is where I like to hang out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snickers For This Useful Post:
ADK46rfan (04-02-2012), Altbark (04-02-2012)
Old 04-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
Snickers
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altbark View Post

Al, I put the pics up in snapfish, hope you can see them here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snickers For This Useful Post:
Altbark (04-02-2012)
Old 04-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
Altbark
W46?! OK 14/46

I am a 46er
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers View Post
Al, I put the pics up in snapfish, hope you can see them here.
Thanks, I'm on my iPad right now and snapfish won't let me have a look. I'll go on the mainframe later. The FB link says that the pics aren't there. I post all my pics on FB and I usually don't run into problems unless I mess up the permissions when I do my upload. Fine business on the bikes. Just as with hiking gear (this is the connection for Rik), the right bike encourages you to get out and ride. I have a 1998 Specialized FSR mountain bike. It was my commuter bike when I was still working. I also have a 2010 Cannondale T1 touring bike with a Wike Tourite trailer. And my latest addition is a no name single speed road bike that I picked up in February. I've started to collect bikes like I used to collect packs. Fortunately, I'm down to four packs after selling five. My wife is very understanding. Al
Old 04-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
Altbark
W46?! OK 14/46

I am a 46er
Thanks. Loved the pics. Just had to log into FB and the pics popped up. Al
Old 04-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Faline

I cross post at ADKForum
Sounds nice! Think the route you took would have been suitable for a road bike? Or is the highway too choppy?
Faline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Snickers
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faline View Post
Sounds nice! Think the route you took would have been suitable for a road bike? Or is the highway too choppy?
It is a designated bike route, the roadies ride it all the time.

Check out Lake Champlain Bikeways for free maps of some great bike routes in Northern NY and VT. http://www.champlainbikeways.org/

Also the HG Vermont & New York Bike and Kayak Map for Northern Lake Champlain. The map has bike routes that use the ferries to go over to VT and ride as well as NY. You will see the whole route on that map, although they don't show that particular ride as one of their 13 bike routed.

Last edited by Snickers; 04-04-2012 at 10:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snickers For This Useful Post:
Faline (04-13-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
Barb Harris

I am a 46er
going home

One of my favorite bike rides along Lake Champlain:-) Going back to Keeseville you do know how to avoid the big hill on Route 9 after Carpenter Flats Bridge? :-) Sure fun to go down though!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #11
Trail Boss
Ascender

I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
Any chance of altering the FB permissions to view the pics? Snapfish also requires an account to view the photos.
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
Snickers
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb Harris View Post
One of my favorite bike rides along Lake Champlain:-) Going back to Keeseville you do know how to avoid the big hill on Route 9 after Carpenter Flats Bridge? :-) Sure fun to go down though!
Yes, there are many ways to avoid those hills on Rt 9, back into Keeseville. Looking foward to some good rides this weekend.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
Snickers
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
Any chance of altering the FB permissions to view the pics? Snapfish also requires an account to view the photos.
This pics are public on FB Teras, but you have to have a FB account and log in. I also have a link to snapfish pics, but again, you have to have a snapfish account, which takes seconds to set up.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
Trail Boss
Ascender

I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
I guess the word 'public' has a different meaning on Facebook. I was hoping for a sharing mode that doesn't need any form of identification (like Picasa and SkyDrive).

Ed: Speaking of kids, I have a photo of mine in my wallet. Would like to see them?
Ned: Sure!
Ed: OK, but first I have to see some form of identification. A driver's license will do.
Ned: Ummm, seriously?
Ed: Or you can join my inner circle of favored friends! It's free and only takes a moment to join. What's your address and phone number?

It's all good; my loss.
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
Altbark
W46?! OK 14/46

I am a 46er
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers View Post
This pics are public on FB Teras, but you have to have a FB account and log in. I also have a link to snapfish pics, but again, you have to have a snapfish account, which takes seconds to set up.
I logged into FB and the pictures popped right up even though there was no indication that they even existed on the original link. If you go to the album you can change the permissions so that anyone can look at the pics without being a FB member (assuming that you want to do that, of course). Al