ADKHighPeaks  
Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Go Back   ADKHighPeaks > Hiking > Adirondack Mountain Hiking
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
Inge
Commander

Question Whiteface Toll Road condition?

OK my usual question : does anyone know if the road is rideable yet? If so is it clear all the way to the castle w/ minimal walking?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
The Poopsmith
Stinker!

I am a 46er
The calendar on the Whiteface website says that the toll road opens May 18, which seems kind of late after our lackluster winter.
Inge (04-05-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Inge
Commander

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poopsmith View Post
The calendar on the Whiteface website says that the toll road opens May 18, which seems kind of late after our lackluster winter.
Yeah, I saw the sign for reopening at the gate last time I went up there a couple weeks ago. The road was mostly clear then and is prob most clear by now. I was just hoping for a confirmation since I will be biking this time.

Thanks!! Poopsmith? yikes that is a kinda scary name - any more details
Old 04-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
The Poopsmith
Stinker!

I am a 46er
The Poopsmith was a character from an internet comic, he had the worst job in town...shoveling poop. I got the nickname after a very unfortunate (for me) event on a hike
AdkWalrus (04-09-2012), Inge (04-05-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
DeepForest
Backcountry Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inge View Post
OK my usual question : does anyone know if the road is rideable yet? If so is it clear all the way to the castle w/ minimal walking?
Hold the phones...Inge, do you actually ride up the whole road top to bottom?....if so...very impressive

I'm a cyclist and I never even gave that thought...Now I'm putting it on my to do list.
Lets talk bikes.....what kind of bike do you have? carbon? Do you know what your biggest rear cassette gear # is? 28?

I think I would be hurting big time with my current bike set up for that climb.
DeepForest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeepForest For This Useful Post:
Inge (04-05-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
DougV
Consultant

adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
Why not just run up it instead?

http://www.whitefacerace.com/
DougV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
Inge
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poopsmith View Post
The Poopsmith was a character from an internet comic, he had the worst job in town...shoveling poop. I got the nickname after a very unfortunate (for me) event on a hike
OH Poopsmith! I am sorry to hear that, but it sounds like you have an awesome sense of humor!! Hope to see you on the trails :-)
Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
Inge
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepForest View Post
Hold the phones...Inge, do you actually ride up the whole road top to bottom?....if so...very impressive

I'm a cyclist and I never even gave that thought...Now I'm putting it on my to do list.
Lets talk bikes.....what kind of bike do you have? carbon? Do you know what your biggest rear cassette gear # is? 28?

I think I would be hurting big time with my current bike set up for that climb.
DeepForest!! Def put it on your list. I use an old steel mt bike (prob a 28?) but will probably get around to using a road bike - I have had carbon bikes, but now they are all steel and one titanium. Just remember though ... it is not the gear, but the engine :-) It really isn't that hard of a climb - it's paved and only an 8% grade. I've been up lots steeper - 15-20% but with pitches to give relief. A relentless single grade wears on one position/muscle group. I could talk bikes forever....but just want to encourage you to ride it! When they open, they charge $7/bike, I think...so bring some do-ray-me in your pocket. The descent makes it worth it.

DougV - I've done the footrace many times....1:13 from Wilmington comes to mind. 1st woman, top 10+/- finisher back in the day. Ran it last month until the icey sections, took about 1.5hrs. Highly recommend running up and /or down it! Love that stretch of "highway" :-) DougV, are you racing it?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
Kyler
Member of Parliament

adkhighpeaks Foundation Board of Directors I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougV View Post
Why not just run up it instead?

http://www.whitefacerace.com/
There are two races - a foot race and a bike race.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #10
DougV
Consultant

adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
Hi Inge, I ran it for the past few years. I have managed to finish in the upper half of my age bracket so far (50-60 ), and in the upper half of the overall field. Best time about 1:33. I always walk up to the summit after the race, but I always have ridden back down in the car, so I can't count them as ascents toward any of my "lists" I had an idea that you had done this before. 1:13 Wow, that's motoring . First woman, top 10, I'm definately impressed but not suprised.
DougV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #11
Inge
Commander

Thumbs up DougV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougV View Post
Hi Inge, I ran it for the past few years. I have managed to finish in the upper half of my age bracket so far (50-60 ), and in the upper half of the overall field. Best time about 1:33. I always walk up to the summit after the race, but I always have ridden back down in the car, so I can't count them as ascents toward any of my "lists" I had an idea that you had done this before. 1:13 Wow, that's motoring . First woman, top 10, I'm definately impressed but not suprised.
Doug!! nice job! don't be impressed - those days are behind me. Glad you are still hammering it out! I used to summit and add Esther just so I could count the peaks ---LOL!! LISTS!!
Maybe I'll see you this year. I'm getting a bit more serious about fitness again.
DougV (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
Teleskier
Commander

I am a 46er
Just an FYI that you all probably know, but they've moved the uphill run from June (a couple of weeks before the bike race) to September now. And if you want some training races before Whiteface, there's one on Mansfield (Race to the Top of Vermont, sponsored by the Catamount Trail Assn) August 26th and Greylock (sponsored by Western Mass Athletic Club) on Labor Day. These might even nudge me out of retirement...
Teleskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
Inge
Commander

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleskier View Post
Just an FYI that you all probably know, but they've moved the uphill run from June (a couple of weeks before the bike race) to September now. And if you want some training races before Whiteface, there's one on Mansfield (Race to the Top of Vermont, sponsored by the Catamount Trail Assn) August 26th and Greylock (sponsored by Western Mass Athletic Club) on Labor Day. These might even nudge me out of retirement...
Hey hey Teleskier!! Can't we resurrect the Mt Washington team - now that was a blast. Especially the campout nightbefore w/ my crazy funnygirl!
Old 04-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #14
Teleskier
Commander

I am a 46er
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inge View Post
Hey hey Teleskier!! Can't we resurrect the Mt Washington team - now that was a blast. Especially the campout nightbefore w/ my crazy funnygirl!
Too late for this year, lottery closed March 15th, but maybe next year? Personally, I like the fall uphill race idea better - gives me more time to train, esp. cross-train with some uphill cycling. Which, come to think of it, is where this thread started, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to Teleskier For This Useful Post:
Inge (04-07-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #15
JoeCedar
Commander

adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er I cross post at ADKForum
Can I forward this thread to my wife so she won't keep saying I'm crazy?
JoeCedar is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeCedar For This Useful Post:
Tmax (04-09-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #16
Teleskier
Commander

I am a 46er
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCedar View Post
Can I forward this thread to my wife so she won't keep saying I'm crazy?
You can, but keep in mind that by Inge's standards, running races up a paved mountain road is about as plain-vanilla as it gets!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teleskier For This Useful Post:
Cory D (04-06-2012), Inge (04-07-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #17
pete_hickey
Slave Driver

I am a 46er
Pffft.... Not much of a run.... There's only ONE hill.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #18
Inge
Commander

Thumbs up Conditions of the Memorial Hghwy 4/7

There is no snow for the first half - tracks of a cyclist proved that was the turn around pt. on the Toll Road. Tire tracks in the snow continued 'til the castle; thereby barebootable. I used mspikes for the slick descent down the red trail, including Esther's path; although many others were fine barebooting. It just seemed that the mspikes enable a bit great confidence and speed. Lots of smiling faces in the mts today!!

Def a vanilla ice cream day....love that stuff too!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #19
ADK French Louie
Louie Da Boy

Inge, thanks for the trail info as we plan on doing a Spring climb of Wf & E on the 15th so nice to know that we only need to carry microspikes.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #20
DackerDan
Commander

First of all, you can riude the road for free after they close it or early in the morning, I have done that several times. I have also done the race up it in June. For me the trick is to wear a HRM and just keep your self at an acceptable heart rate, Zone 3+ if you are into those things. Many times I have started the race, gotten past by a lot of riders only to pass them later becasue they burned themselves up early in the ride.

I am afraid I cannot do the race this year as my weight has ballooned and I can't get it low enough to not kill myself before June.