ADKHighPeaks  
Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Go Back   ADKHighPeaks > Hiking > General Hiking Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
sciencedude288

Winter ADK hiking gear

I will be moving to Syracuse next year and wanted to take advantage of this to do some hiking in the Dacks; maybe even go after the 46. I have plenty of experience in the Catskills, but not the Adirondacks. I realize that snowshoes are, in fact, legally required on the trails. However, I know that the microspikes vs crampons debate is fairly contentious. I am certain that there are countless threads on this topics, but I will admit that I don't really feel like sifting through the search...any preferences? Finally, I saw that the ADK mountain club recommends an ice axe for winter climbs. Is this really necessary? Thanks.
sciencedude288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
Teleskier
Commander

I am a 46er
My two cents -

1) Get microspikes. (Or Hillsound trail crampons, which look even more aggressive.) To me, they're the best innovation in hiking in the past 25 years. Incredibly useful in a variety of situations. (Like walking up an icy Tuckerman Ravine trail in ski boots...)

2) Crampons - depends. I've owned them for the past 25 years and have hardly used them. Of course, when you need them, you really need them. To me it depends on your hiking style - if you're flexible enough to be a little selective about when you tackle the few peaks that are really rugged and alpine, you can climb anything up there without them. But, if you're the kind of hiker who thinks "I really want to climb Haystack this Saturday, pretty much no matter what the conditions", then you'll want them as one of your options.

I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions - since we didn't have much of a real winter, talking about winter gear is the next best thing!
Teleskier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Teleskier For This Useful Post:
Blackbear (04-03-2012), DelawareMike (04-05-2012), FoulHooked (04-04-2012), sciencedude288 (04-04-2012)
Old 04-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
TFR
Peek-Bagger

I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er I cross post at ADKForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencedude288 View Post
However, I know that the microspikes vs crampons debate is fairly contentious. I am certain that there are countless threads on this topics, but I will admit that I don't really feel like sifting through the search...any preferences? Finally, I saw that the ADK mountain club recommends an ice axe for winter climbs. Is this really necessary?
It's not a question of buying one or the other. Buy both. How badly do you want to summit?

Typically, you will only need one or the other, but they both have their place.

And I agree, Hillsounds are even better than MSs, and begin to blur the crampon/light traction divide.

Ice axe: Again, How badly? But seriously, it can come in handy on some of the steep ascents, like Saddleback. There are very few times you are climbing or crossing a slide in the ADKs, and they are usually not completely iced over. But they can be...

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
President Catskill 3500 Club
CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to
TFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TFR For This Useful Post:
Blackbear (04-03-2012)
Old 04-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Teleskier
Commander

I am a 46er
I like an ice axe a lot, too. (General mountaineering length, not a technical one) It's very useful at extending your reach when you have to grab something to get over some nasty bulge. And it's easy to put on your pack and out of the way when you don't need it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Teleskier For This Useful Post:
Blackbear (04-03-2012)
Old 04-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
vieWseeker
Winter46er

I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
You will certainly need some sort of traction for light duty.....second ... never needed my crampons till this year and oh boy did they come in handy on even the slightest hikes, ice axe, less uses than the crampons unless slide climbing....Years with deep snow one would never need crampons or ice axe for standard trails...But they look Cool on your backpack...
ADK 46-R #6750W
CL-50 - #51
CATSKILLS- 9/39
NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos
vieWseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vieWseeker For This Useful Post:
Blackbear (04-03-2012)
Old 04-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
pete_hickey
Slave Driver

I am a 46er
My ideas go a bit different. How are you for time? Are you in a rush to get all peaks complete, or are you just interested in hiking? Are you willing to turn back when conditions are tough?

Consider that microspikes did not exist 5 or so years ago. Look at how many people completedd their winter 46 before they existed. They are not necessary. They do make things easier in some conditions. They can let you be a bit faster in some conditions.

Some days, on some peaks, crampons may be necessary. Can you reach the treeline of some peak... look and see ice everywhere and say, "I'll come back another day." If so, you can get by without crampons. If you're the type that says, "I've come 95% of the way, and I'll be damned if I don't get this peak." Then you need them.

There can be a few instances where an ice axe makes things easier. They can also be extra weight and a source of injuries. My suggestion here is don't get one until you know why and what for.

You can do your winter 46 with only snowshoes. Hundreds or people have.

Oh yeah.... something else. Gear can be cool and you can impress people with it. That may be another reason for getting all kinds of things.
adkdremn (04-04-2012), Blackbear (04-03-2012), FoulHooked (04-04-2012), Photobug65 (04-04-2012), sciencedude288 (04-04-2012), TFR (04-04-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
Dunbar
Always Serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_hickey View Post
Oh yeah.... something else. Gear can be cool and you can impress people with it. That may be another reason for getting all kinds of things.
This is the primary reason I carry an ice axe in winter. I don't recommend doing so in the summer as it just makes you look silly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dunbar For This Useful Post:
adkdremn (04-04-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
RTSpoons
Landscape Surveyor

Winter gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
This is the primary reason I carry an ice axe in winter. I don't recommend doing so in the summer as it just makes you look silly.
I always carry an ice axe and 100 ft. of climbing rope when I do Mt. Jo, just to look serious.

All kidding aside, microspikes are very handy for traction in many conditions, crampons have their place. Over the years I have only used my crampons a few times in the Dacks. So I would say, if your budget is limited buy microspikes first and than a less expensive pair of crampons. As for an ice axe, I have one and only used it once while hiking up north.

A good pair of snowshoes will get you through most situations in the Adirondacks but you should carry other equipment discussed to handle particular situations. Of the items mentioned the ice axe is the least necessary.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
RTSpoons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RTSpoons For This Useful Post:
adkdremn (04-04-2012), sciencedude288 (04-04-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
Photobug65
W46-R finish on Cascade

I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTSpoons View Post

Of the items mentioned the ice axe is the least necessary.
I wonder if the guy who slid into a crevasse on Mount Washington's Tuckerman Ravine was carrying one? Or wearing crampons?

Location, location, location... Conditions, conditions, conditions...

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...WS07/704049967

ADK 46-R 7090W
Saranac Lake 6er (3x) 11U, UW
Catskill 3500 2265; 921W
Photobug65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
sureño
inefficiency expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobug65 View Post
I wonder if the guy who slid into a crevasse on Mount Washington's Tuckerman Ravine was carrying one? Or wearing crampons?

Location, location, location... Conditions, conditions, conditions...

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...WS07/704049967

Was he on ice or snow when he slipped? My understanding is that self-arrest on ice is something of an urban legend.
sureño is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
Photobug65
W46-R finish on Cascade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Tuckerman's Ravine is now in the Adirondacks? Excellent...
Just saying... location (what High Peak or Mountain) and conditions (Deep fluffy snow, like last year or ice, more prevalent this year) dictate what gear may be helpful.

Haystack and some other bald peaks were pretty icy for some of this winter and ice axes and crampons were helpful... for me anyway.

ADK 46-R 7090W
Saranac Lake 6er (3x) 11U, UW
Catskill 3500 2265; 921W
Photobug65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
georgecarr
Takin' it all in!

I cross post at ADKForum
Quote:
Nice addition to the collection. Maybe that will finally make it the 47er's, so right now nobody has that patch.....

Trail Ready
georgecarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
Teleskier
Commander

I am a 46er
Quote:
Going to save me a lot on gas for spring skiing...
Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
Hear the Footsteps
552/552

I have the variety. Spikes, Crampons, Snowshoes. Spikes work well with gradual climbs, steps, and flats - not as good for severe pitches. Crampons have been good to have during winter 2011/12 and are better than spikes (heel and toe points) on more severe pitches and hard ice.

When you have ice gear you can walk on the ice and stay on the trail and you'll not be a part of making certain trail sections ever wider with each winter. I often wonder what the people who build rock steps think about in winter when they see paths on both sides of the steps made by people that lack ice gear.

Don
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hear the Footsteps For This Useful Post:
Holly Berry (04-04-2012), sciencedude288 (04-07-2012), Snav3 (04-06-2012)
Old 04-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #15
kmac

As the sayings goes, Be Prepared. Carry crampons, ice axe, snowshoes and micro spikes...you never know when you will need them.
kmac is offline   Reply With Quote