ADKHighPeaks  
Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Go Back   ADKHighPeaks > Other Places in the Northeast United States > New England Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
procook131
Commander

I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
Single Season NH 48

For me this was an endeavor that really seemed over my head from the start. How I was going to manage working full time (60+ hours) and trying to hike on just Sunday/Monday when weather can be so non cooperative in New Hampshire just didn't seem possible. The one stipulation I had was if the hiking ever started to feel like “work”, I would take a step back and reevaluate. But the calendar hit the solstice and it was time to give it a go, and looking back I would not have done it any other way.

I hiked forty two peaks solo, only exceptions were Cabot/Waumbek and a Zealand/Bonds traverse with JoeCedar. My overall time was a little slower than his due to my “inefficiency” at times, resulting in 124.75 hiking hours versus his 118. Vertical gain was somewhere around 100K feet over the course of 280 miles. Twenty five hikes over twenty two hiking days is not a bad way to spend the winter, not including the hiking I did in my backyard called Vermont.

My combinations can be viewed here.
http://www.48in1winter.com/johndavid...011-2012.shtml

Efficiency is key, and I did ok. Weather certainly played a roll a few times. I was blown off of the Franconia Ridge on Christmas Day, not letting me get all four and having to go back a few weeks later. The severe cold in mid-January forced me to hike shorter hikes even though I had more leg. Low visibility and high winds in the Presidentials forced me to keep waiting and pushing them back week after week. Living just about two hours away from any trail head in the Whites was a huge help, allowing me to sleep in a bit and be hiking by late morning on Sundays after hard weeks at work. I did get a few chances to break trail, and I wish there had been more. Lots more. Thankfully there is always next year.....

I cannot thank my family and friends enough for the support they have given throughout the winter from commenting on photo albums, getting back to the car to hear nice voicemails, chatting for a bit when I was in cheap motels in the middle of nowhere, etc, etc. But no one has helped more than my wonderful girlfriend. We went on our first date on December 19th at which point I told her about my crazy idea to do a “SS NH48”, and she stuck by me the whole time. Starting a relationship with someone who spent every day off during winter in not even in the same state takes a lot of patience, and she never wavered. Thank you Emily, I could not have done it without you!

Pics from a few of my faves......

Madison and Adams for the finish
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=dab728a0de

Zealand-Bonds with JoeCedar
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=64745f06b3

Brutal day in the Presidentials
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=3216390657

Freezing on the Osceolas
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=0e33f41f14
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.” John Muir

"Not the kind of "fun" you have to force yourself to remember you're supposed to be having, but the kind where you realize for the last half a day you've had this idiot grin on your face that you just can't seem to shake." -Mirabela
procook131 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to procook131 For This Useful Post:
Blackbear (03-24-2012), Crepuscular (03-28-2012), OnAClearDay (03-22-2012), Photobug65 (03-26-2012), Snav3 (03-24-2012), Tmax (03-28-2012), Trail Boss (03-24-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
TFR
Peek-Bagger

I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er I cross post at ADKForum
Congrats buddy! You picked 2 great peaks to finish on!

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
President Catskill 3500 Club
CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to
TFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TFR For This Useful Post:
procook131 (03-24-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
PA Ridgerunner
Lovin' Life!

adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er I cross post at ADKForum
Excellent, David!
Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PA Ridgerunner For This Useful Post:
procook131 (03-24-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
JoeCedar
Commander

adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er I cross post at ADKForum
Dave, I knew from the start that you could do it. The biggest challenges were the limited days of the week combined with the possibly brutal weather conditions on some mountains. You were systematic in your logistics and peak combinations, and that approach (along with generally decent weather) allowed you to minimize days you didn't reach your intended goal (only Franconias, right?). People who have not attempted something like this do not realize the amount of time which must be spent on logistics. With 48 peaks, numerous combinations, and the vagaries of weather, it is easy to waste days and time as a result of inadequate planning.

It was my pleasure to serve as adviser and coach sometimes, and to hike with you those two days, but this accomplishment is clearly and fully yours. Enjoy the feeling, and enjoy getting back to your 'other life'.

Last edited by JoeCedar; 03-21-2012 at 01:06 PM.
JoeCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeCedar For This Useful Post:
Blackbear (03-24-2012), procook131 (03-24-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
Mark

I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er
I don't generally check out this section of the forum, but I have been looking occasionally for this report. Awesome hiking. Glad you had so much fun.
Best,
Mark
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:
procook131 (03-24-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
sherbi

I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er
for your 48in1winter, doing it with a more than full-time job is no small feat.

The day you were freezing on the Osceolas, our group of five was freezing on a Bonds-Hale traverse .
procook131 (03-24-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
SummitHat
That was fun

adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
Kudos on an outstanding accomplishment and strong winter season! x48

Congratulations on fitting your quest within the scope of your life priorities,
and enjoying the journey without reservation.
SummitHat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SummitHat For This Useful Post:
procook131 (03-24-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
SoloJoe
Positive Thinking

adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I am a Catskill 35er
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitHat View Post

+1

x48

Very impressive, especially in light of time constraints. An odyssey such as this takes real commitment. Way to go.
SoloJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SoloJoe For This Useful Post:
procook131 (03-24-2012)
Old 03-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
procook131
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFR View Post
Congrats buddy! You picked 2 great peaks to finish on!
Doncha know?! Congrats yourself buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Ridgerunner View Post
Excellent, David!
Thanks! Glad to see you and MB getting out in the fluffy stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCedar View Post
Dave, I knew from the start that you could do it. The biggest challenges were the limited days of the week combined with the possibly brutal weather conditions on some mountains. You were systematic in your logistics and peak combinations, and that approach (along with generally decent weather) allowed you to minimize days you didn't reach your intended goal (only Franconias, right?). People who have not attempted something like this do not realize the amount of time which must be spent on logistics. With 48 peaks, numerous combinations, and the vagaries of weather, it is easy to waste days and time as a result of inadequate planning.
Thanks Joe! Having almost two non winter rounds over there helped for sure with the logistics, which I pretty much had wrapped up in October. Then it was just waiting for the season to start and go for the biggest, most exposed summits on the days you could do them. As you know, snow or not it was always winter over there this year through February with high winds and brutal cold. Killing it in January with twenty six peaks set me up nicely and was happy to have you around for some company on those hikes in February. Thanks again, "coach"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I don't generally check out this section of the forum, but I have been looking occasionally for this report. Awesome hiking. Glad you had so much fun.
Best,
Mark
Thanks Mark! Let's get hooked up next winter and button up your "W"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbi View Post
for your 48in1winter, doing it with a more than full-time job is no small feat.

The day you were freezing on the Osceolas, our group of five was freezing on a Bonds-Hale traverse .
Thanks! You had a nice winter too; congrats on your accomplishment. I was freezing on Cannon in the morning first, then the Osceolas
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.” John Muir

"Not the kind of "fun" you have to force yourself to remember you're supposed to be having, but the kind where you realize for the last half a day you've had this idiot grin on your face that you just can't seem to shake." -Mirabela
Old 03-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #10
procook131
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitHat View Post

Thanks! "Without reservation" is a very good way to put it, much like your winter season as well. Congratulations to you as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloJoe View Post
+1

x48

Very impressive, especially in light of time constraints. An odyssey such as this takes real commitment. Way to go.
Thanks! I had it initially planned at twenty six hiking days (which was as many days I would have off during calendar winter), so when I was able to double up or bite off more on certain ranges to trim the days down, it was a big relief. Last winter I finished my W46 on the last day, and did not want that pressure this year. I still think the hardest part was getting out of a warm bed in the morning with the sweetest woman still sleeping in it

Old 03-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
Trail Boss
Ascender

Congratulations!

Wonderful photos! You've inspired me to hike in the Whites next winter. But I certainly won't be attempting a Single-Season finish!
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trail Boss For This Useful Post:
procook131 (03-26-2012)
Old 03-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #12
El Loco
Commander

I cross post at ADKForum
Congratulations, Dave. An amazing goal and amazing accomplishment. Knew you could do it! Ya gotta feel extremely proud!
46R - #4541W
CL50 - #100
Northville-Placid Trail :
Saranac 6 - Winter
El Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to El Loco For This Useful Post:
procook131 (03-26-2012)
Old 03-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #13
ADKJack
Sure, Why not!

adkhighpeaks Foundation Board of Directors adkhighpeaks Site Supporter I am a 46er I cross post at ADKForum
Congratulations Dave, a truly incredible accomplishment both physically and logistically. Great life/work balance
"Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
Ed Viesturs
ADKJack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ADKJack For This Useful Post:
procook131 (03-26-2012)
Old 03-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
procook131
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
Congratulations!

Wonderful photos! You've inspired me to hike in the Whites next winter. But I certainly won't be attempting a Single-Season finish!
Thanks! And why not attempt it? You never know what you are capable of unless you try.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Loco View Post
Congratulations, Dave. An amazing goal and amazing accomplishment. Knew you could do it! Ya gotta feel extremely proud!
Thanks Keith; amazing might be a stretch but proud nonetheless. It'd be nice if you could join for some fun next winter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKJack View Post
Congratulations Dave, a truly incredible accomplishment both physically and logistically. Great life/work balance
Thanks Jack! The logistics at times were harder than the hiking, and I longed for it to be the other way around. Missed you at the dinner the other night!