Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baldface Range 9/10/2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baldface Range 9/10/2017

On Sunday I had the chance to hike the Baldfaces in the Eastern White Mountains, two peaks that had been on my radar for years. Getting an early start I added Eastman Mountain to the south as well as Eagle Crag /Mount Meader to the North making for a great 8 hour loop from the Baldface Circle TH. To bag these four 52WAV's I went clockwise starting with the Slippery Brook trail for an out and back to Eastman Mountain first before hiking the beautifully open southern approach to South Baldface (my route unfortunately also circumvented the unique open slab section of the lower Baldface Circle trail and on a certain return visit I will give this route a try)

From South Baldface then through to Eagle Crag the trail weaves in and out of woods with longer sections completely above treeline. The views are continuous and splendid - from the Presidentials to deep into western Maine. I couldn't help but stop frequently in complete awe and just take time to soak it all up.

After five hours of hiking I ran into another solo hiker and then later I saw a few other couples ascending Mount Meader as I was was making my way down. After a short road walk I was back at the now overflowing TH - I assumed most of these visitors were however there for the nearby swimming hole. The loop is a true gem and quickly became one of my top 10 favorite hikes...

The view into the Wild River Wilderness and the distant cloud shrouded Carter-Moriah Range
    Click image for larger version

Name:	baldface.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	2645

We hiked a similar loop in late July, going up the open rockfaces on the Baldface Circle trail. It was a really interesting stretch, not sure I would want to descend that way. My wife and I loved the views, loved the Basin Campground, and loved swimming in Kezar Lake the next day.

We saw about three people until right around Emerald Pools (pretty but small) on the way out. We'd like to hike this again later in the season. Looks like colors were just starting to emerge for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Eagan View Post
      We hiked a similar loop in late July, going up the open rockfaces on the Baldface Circle trail. It was a really interesting stretch, not sure I would want to descend that way. My wife and I loved the views, loved the Basin Campground, and loved swimming in Kezar Lake the next day.

We saw about three people until right around Emerald Pools (pretty but small) on the way out. We'd like to hike this again later in the season. Looks like colors were just starting to emerge for you.

As for fall colors - it's definitely started to turn in this area (I already saw some very bright reds) - it should be the place to be the next weekend or two.

Love this area along the NH - Maine borderlands, lots of great hiking...

Comment

I loved the Baldface Circle loop too. I wanted to post a photo of a crescent-shaped stone bench someone had built on the upper part of the trail going up S. Baldface, but as usual the software tells me the photo is too big.

Comment

Working...
        X