Camel's Hump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camel's Hump

My sons and I took a trip to Vermont President's Day Weekend. I had a rough plan to ski Stowe and hopefully hike one or two peaks. We found our way to Camel's Hump Park (Huntington side) on a sunny and warm (for February) morning. The Burrows trail had an impressive snowpack, softened a bit from the 50 degree temperatures of the day before. The lot had been full and there were several groups on the trail. I was surprised to see that hardly anyone wore snowshoes, although my 15 year-old assured me that it was a "good call" to bring ours. The post-holing seemed to be confined mainly to the sides of the trail and we trudged ahead, sweating profusely in a surprisingly warm sun. The boys had some moments of doubt upon seeing the mountain profile in, what appeared to them, the far distance. We were buoyed by the sight of those employing sleds on their descent. Vermonters have taken butt-sliding to the next level! This also may explain how the paths remained firm in spite of the almost complete absence of snowshoers. We reached the clearing in a little under two hours and were soon on the summit. The view was spectacular, not only encompassing the Worcester Range and Lake Champlain but also Killington and Ascutney to the south. The trip down was fast and furious. I had thoughts of adding Mansfield to our hiking itinerary but felt that that peak is probably best suited for a day of calm winds and after we have a few more peaks under our belt. I look forward to returning to Vermont!
Working...
X