White Mountains Suggestions...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Mountains Suggestions...

My daughter and I will be heading up to NH to climb some of the White Mountains late next month. Washington is a given for sure, we'll be up there for 3-4 days and I want to hit more than just Washington. I don't normally ask for suggestions since half the fun is in the planning, but I want to make the most of the time we're up there since she deploys to Africa at the end of the year. That and you guys and gals are one heck of a resource for trip planning. I may as well use every available resource right? So, any suggested multi-peak trips while we're there?

Steve
    46/46 - #9464
    7/46 "W"
    NE115 - 53/115

Washington is not a given in late November. Keep a close eye on the mountain forecast. The weather and wind can be horrendous.

If you do make Washington, there are of course several peaks along the same ridge, such as Monroe, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, etc
    Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

Comment

• NorthBay
      NorthBay commented
      Editing a comment
      You bet Tom...I understand Washington is not a given at all. It wouldn't be the first time I've turned around before reaching a summit. I definitely know when to call it. I've been eyeballing Madison, Jefferson and Adams in particular. I thought about trying a Presi Traverse, but I'm afraid that may be a bit much in November, especially for someone that has never been up there. And then there's the need for a second vehicle, that's not likely to occur. Looks like the huts in the area are closed for the season too.

So anyway, I do plan to climb all 48 at one point or another. I don't really want to save the easiest for last either, I am looking for other options / routes in case the weather on Washington is just not reasonable for a good climb while we're there. I didn't really want to just throw a dart and pick a mountain at random, hence this post. What are some good alternatives to start with if the weather isn't conducive or to strive for after we spend some time in the Presidential Range?

Steve

Steve there are lots of multi-peak options but if the weather changes you have to be able to adjust:

Some of my favorites Kinsmans-Cannon; Franc Ridge or break into Liberty Flume and Lincoln Laffayette; Twins, Galehead and Garfield (You may want to leave off Garfield); Tom, Field, Willey; Jackson, Pierce, Ike; Cats and or Carters. There are a ton of great loops depending on your skill level and desire. Bring winter gear and spikes. If weather gets colder bring crampons just cause.

Comment

• NorthBay
      NorthBay commented
      Editing a comment
      That's just what I was looking for...Thank you sir. These should be a good starting point. We'll certainly have full on winter gear, including crampons, with us just in case. It will be good carrying the extra weight for training purposes if nothing else. Thanks again for the suggestions, I can't wait to get up there and start climbing!

Steve

I would check and see if Grey knob cabin is open. A good base camp for the Northern presidentials. Not good for Washington. I would not get hung up on Washington. Staying at Grey knob and doing Jefferson, Adams and Madison will be very enjoyable.

http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/.../grayknob.html
    Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
    ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

Aha...Grey Knob may come in very handy. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll certainly look into that more. My options are wide open, I'm not necessarily hung up on any one mountain in particular. Washington is a goal yes, but it's certainly not written in stone at all.

Steve
      46/46 - #9464
      7/46 "W"
      NE115 - 53/115

Comment

Working...
      X