Massachusetts Peak List?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massachusetts Peak List?

Of course there are the big lists in the ADK, Catskill, NH, NE 111, even a semi-ironic one in NJ, and a bevy of little challenges lately (Saranac 6, Tupper 3, Chester, etc), but what about the mountains of western Mass? Is there a Berkshire or Taconic award? Or even a list of all of the peaks in the area available?
    ADK 46*/46 CATS 5/35 FT 4/28 Saranac 0/6 Bristol 6/6

You could start your own. You could be the first registered 9'er, having climbed all of MA's 2,000 ft+ summits.
    My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

There's a lot more than 9... the Wikipedia list is quite incomplete which is why I asked!

edit: According to this site, there are 67, plus two at 1998 feet that could round up (since the latest USGS maps use meters). Massachusetts 69ers?

http://peakery.com/united-states-mou...massachusetts/

Comment

Holy $%^& I just figured out how to do this. It's possible to query CalTopo to shade all land over #### feet...

If it works for New Jersey, it works for Massachusetts! Add MA 0/67 to my list of peaks I'll never finish? I'm giving it a try this weekend though, it looks like I've found a mountain range that's actually almost easy for me to get to

Comment

This is what I have so far, using 2300 feet as the criteria. The ones missing a rank are on private land - which only becomes somewhat more frequent continuing toward 2000'
          1 Greylock 3491
          2 Saddle Ball 3255
          3 Fitch 3100
          4 Williams 2956
          5 Crum Hill 2844
          6 Berlin 2810
          -- Blackpoll 2785
          -- Bakke 2756
          7 Spruce 2710
          Prospect
          Misery
          10 Beaodic 2621
          11 Everett 2605
          12 North Spruce Hill 2584
          13 Stone Ledge 2582
          14 Rounds Rock 2566
          15 Spruce Hill (N Adams) 2559
          16 Ragged 2530
          17 Sheeps Heaven 2526
          18 Borden 2500
          19 Frissell 2454
          20 Whitcomb 2444
          21 Brodie #6 2434
          22 Widow Whites (Potter) 2418
          23 Brodie #5 2392
          24 Ashley 2385
          25 East 2382
          26 Jiminy 2382
          27 Race 2372
          28 Potter North 2333
          -- Judges 2303
          29 Smith/White Rocks 2300
          Last edited by bfinan0; 10-07-2016, 11:08 AM. Reason: missed a big one, Mt Misery is now on the list

Comment

#1, #3, and #4 can all be done in a day. They're all on the same ridgeline. Easy 10-mile loop.

The summit of #6 Berlin is in NY at 2818' but the 2810' listed must be just a few hundred feet off the rather flat summit area. It's right on the NY/MA border.

#18 Frissell is interesting because the high point of CT is one its southern slope. Once there you can continue west another quarter mile or so to the Tri-State marker where NY/MA/CT all meet.

I did all of these this summer. I guess I'm 5/28 on your new list.

Comment

• bfinan0
              bfinan0 commented
              Editing a comment
              If the mountain meets all the requirements except possible summits just barely over the state line, I included it, as long as some of the highest contour was in Mass, even if part was also in VT or NY, since neither of those states has a list that they would also qualify for. This affects Berlin, Misery and Smith with the NY border, and East with the VT border.

Berlin is an OK hike. It's NY State's "other" High Peak- the highest peak outside of the Adirondacks and the Catskills in NY. As Makwa states, the summit is technically in NY (just barely).

The views from the summit are a bit grown in, but on a clear day you can see both the Escarpment in the Catskills as well as the High Peaks in the Adirondacks. (Greylock has similar views.)

Greylock State Reservation has some nice places to camp. It's not hard to put together easy to moderate loop backpacking trips there. The area overall receives moderate levels of use. A lot of hikers seem to pass it up in favor of more well known destinations in the Catskill, the Adirondacks, and the Whites.

Comment

• bfinan0
              bfinan0 commented
              Editing a comment
              I think I'll like Massachusetts better than the Adirondacks or Catskills. More access to trailheads without a car for one thing. Also lower summit elevations = longer season.

I wanted to make the lower limit 1776 feet (because Massachusetts) but that left way too many things that aren't even mountains. If the MassPike goes over the "summit" of one, it shouldn't count...

Comment

• Makwa
              Makwa commented
              Editing a comment
              Or... if you still wanted to use the 1776 (since most people wouldn't argue with its use) cut the list off at 2500' (17 of them) and then add the 76th tallest peak in Mass to the list as a kicker and call it the Massachusetts 1776. Only 18 peaks total.

• bfinan0
              bfinan0 commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't want to use it LOL not after seeing how many "peaks" between 1776 and 2100 feet there are that aren't even mountains and/or have houses, farms, etc on top. Also lowering the limit would start to allow "peaks" that aren't in Berkshire county and make it a lot more widespread than I meant it to be.

• Makwa
              Makwa commented
              Editing a comment
              I meant "1776" for the name. Cut the list at 2500' and you have 17 mountains. Then add #76 on the list as a gimmick. Put the 17 and 76 together for the Mass 1776.

New question: Which one would be Massachusetts' A***n?

Comment

• jkauff73
              jkauff73 commented
              Editing a comment
              Why go there?!

• bfinan0
              bfinan0 commented
              Editing a comment
              Because this time I'm creating the list, I can choose what goes on it or not, so this would be the time to omit it, before the final edition is out!

I'm now at 6/29. And starting to think this is the range for me... shorter mountains, reasonable access without a car, longer season, plenty of long distance trails (AT, Taconic Crest, Taconic summit, South Taconic, Hoosac Trail, maybe more) that cover the vast majority of peaks.

Comment

Working...
            X