Ellen Summit Proper?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ellen Summit Proper?

I'm fairly certain this is the summit of Mt. Ellen in Vermont's Green Mountains. I just wanted to run it by the consensus here. The photo is actually taken from the trail facing west. That is not the trail beyond the small cairn at the base of the tree. If I turn 90 degrees to the right and head north I run into (yet another) ski slope in maybe 50 yards or so. I know I passed all of the other peaks from Lincoln Gap - Abraham, Little Abe, Lincoln, Nancy Hanks, Cutt before arriving here at this cairn. So is this the summit of Ellen? I know there were flags and such before, but I think the wind may have dealt those a fatal blow (Ha...get it!)

46/46 - #9464
    7/46 "W"
    NE115 - 53/115

That's the summit. I wasn't too sure myself when I was there a year ago so I waypointed it on GPS to make sure.

Comment

Pitiful, isn't it? And almost in sight of a ski lift. A few years ago, the rocks weren't even there.

Comment

You got that right Joe...Heck, South Dix was even better than this. Not much, but at least it wasn't right next to a lift. Thank you both for the confirmation.
        46/46 - #9464
        7/46 "W"
        NE115 - 53/115

Comment

I am thinking of doing Ellen and Abraham soon. I guess Abraham is the one with the views. Supposedly, it looks down at all the farms below.

Comment

• NorthBay
            NorthBay commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes Abraham has the views...provided it's not socked in. There wasn't much to look at when I got up there. On the way back through the clouds broke up a bit and there was a bit more to see. Pretty good views after the clouds cleared. Ellen? Not so much. Have fun!

Are there any tent sites near Ellen or Abraham? I read online on GMC's web site that there are tent platforms on the Long Trail.

Comment

I didn't notice any tent platforms around the Battell shelter before Abraham, other than the caretakers platform anyway. I didn't hang around there looking for platforms either though. I'm not sure if there are any past Ellen at the Glen Ellen shelter or not. I did an out and back - from Lincoln Gap to Ellen and back so I'm not sure what lies north beyond the ski lift closest to Ellen's summit. Joe or somebody else may be able to answer that better than me.

I do know there are 3 nice tent platforms over at the Cooper Lodge near Killington's summit.
            46/46 - #9464
            7/46 "W"
            NE115 - 53/115

Comment

Originally posted by JoeCedar View Post
              A few years ago, the rocks weren't even there.
              A few years before that, though, there was a sign

--

Cumulus

NE111 in my 50s: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2)
              NE111 in my 60s: 47/115 (36/67, 11/46, 0/2)
              NEFF: 50/50; Cat35: 39/39; WNH4K: 39/48; NEHH 84/100
              LT NB 2009

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
              "Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
              - Lewis Carroll

Comment

• NorthBay
                NorthBay commented
                Editing a comment
                That's interesting. I wonder what happened to that sign. I thought it was odd that Lincoln, Little Abe and Nancy Hanks all had summit signs but there was nothing on Ellen. Thanks for sharing that.
            Working...
            X