Sherrill from Spruceton Road question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sherrill from Spruceton Road question

The VO map shows a parking area on Spruceton Road about 1 mile east of 42 and then DEP land that can be taken to state land up to Sherrill. Anyone taken this route? I am curious if the parking pullout is obvious (if you are looking). I would likely hike the ridge that is West of Newton Brook and am not clear if I would need to hike the road up a bit before crossing West Kill and heading up or if the DEP land starts right there (the map scale doesn't make this clear).

We've never been on that ridge, not even sure where that parking area is ....... I also have the VO map and am now curious. At any rate, we've been up and down the next ridge over to the east. We call it Bennett Ridge because of Bennett Brook. There's legal access, but no parking. So we just park at the fisherman's lot when we climb North Dome and Sherrill and do the road walk. It's just under a mile. Bennett Ridge is a great alternative to Shaft Road and you don't need a car spot when doing both peaks. We also prefer the route up ND from the fisherman's lot.

Comment

Per DEP, the land in question is a public access area, and accessible without a permit for hiking activity. For purposes of your trip planning, the area map is available here:
      http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/pdf/maps...m_Mountain.pdf

Interactive mapping is available here:
      https://nycdep.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...0fe25bc2f25f53

I don't see any obvious parking areas on aerials, but there are a couple of possible pulloffs visible.

Hope that helps.

Comment

• LeftRightLeft
        LeftRightLeft commented
        Editing a comment
        the more I play with it, the more that interactive map stokes route ideas - much obliged, sir!

I have descended the ridge that terminates in the stream near Shoemaker Rd. One needs to be careful to stay west of the private property line. I assume it's OK to climb up out of the stream onto the bridge crossing Shoemaker Rd. Although it can be a bit dicey at high water. The descent off Sherrill is generally gradual and pleasant enough but always seems very long at the end of a bushwhack. The trick is to stay on the ridge especially near the top of Sherrill. In other words, when ascending I would aim for the western part of the summit rather than try to hit the summit directly and thus avoid some very steep and over grown terrain. I have also gone up ND from the DEC parking lot via the Hegedone Brook. The problem with that approach is avoiding private property. Hegedone Brook becomes very steep and wild terrain although it can certainly be done. I suggest following the western property line as it may be an easier ascent though I have never tried it myself.

If you are considering the ridge just to the west of Newton Brook, that looks like a very viable option. I don't know about parking.

Comment

Cool - thanks, folks. I have descended the Bennett Brook ridge and hiked them from DP and Shaft Road, so am just looking at alternates to get to know the area a bit more. I am headed there Sunday to hike Sherril, ND and Westkill, and the approach I am considering would shorten the shuttle a bit. Thanks for the links, Foulhooked. I will see if there is anywhere good to park over there (get the distance from 42 to DEP land from the map and re-set the odometer at the 42/6 junction). I will update you on what I find.

Comment

Sorry for any confusion, I've edited my post above.
          Also there is an interesting discussion of this area here:
          Use this section only for trip reports to the Catskill Region of NY.

Comment

We are always looking for interesting options for the Peaks. Park on PECK Hollow Rd go up to the ridge, then climb up to ND and over to S. We went out to Shaft Rd that time as a shuttle hike....

Comment

• LeftRightLeft
              LeftRightLeft commented
              Editing a comment
              The Peck Hollow route looks cool - thanks!

I have done this several times. The parking is just before the first bridge, not really obvious, but there are signs and an old gate made of bed springs. Some old roads for a bit, then up more towards Balsam and across the ridge to Sherrill. But there is room for several cars.

Comment

Yep, found the parking just fine - not super obvious, but if you know approx where it should be, it was easy to find (it is about 1 mi. from 42). We followed the woods roads for a bit eastish and then headed up the ridge that originates near Sherrill's Western shoulder. Nice route, I liked it.

Comment

Working...
              X