Fastpacking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastpacking

Hey All - looking to do a two day overnight fastpacking in the Catskills...can anyone suggest a good loop (preferably) or a point to point with an easy taxi shuttle? Out and back only if it's worth it....looking to do 30-35 miles...thanks for the help!

Here's an idea - although less than your preferred mileage: Start in Phoenicia and hike the Long Path over Romer and Cross Mts. to Wittenberg. Wittenberg, Slide, Giant Ledge and Panther. Short taxi ride back to Phoenicia. Camp in the col between Cornell and Slide. You could add Table, Peekamoose if you want to up the mileage.

Comment

• Murdock
      Murdock commented
      Editing a comment
      great option thank you. ...I have 2013 maps which have the Romer Mtn -> Cross Mtn trail still under construction...has it been completed?

• aoc-1
      aoc-1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, it's a great trail.

Another option, in the same neck of the woods is a lolipop: Fox Hollow -> Panther, Giant Ledge -> Slide -> Camp in the col between Slide and Cornell and then Cornell, Wittenburg -> Woodland Valley and back around to Giant Ledge and then over Panther again. Beautiful area and a very reliable spring just as you descend Slide toward camp. Also the Fox hollow leanto is rather close to the road, if you wanted to hike in on Friday night to stage for the weekend.

Comment

• Murdock
      Murdock commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

Another suggestion with a moderate car shuttle (contact Woodstock Taxi 845-679-7766) would be the 29-mile hike from Overlook to Tremper via the eastern Devil's Path; what I call the "Two Towers" hike. Here are 2 links to trip reports from 2016 and another from 2012.

Or, you could leave your car at the Long Path trailhead on Lane Road and have a taxi or the friendly folks from Cold Spring Lodge shuttle you to Pine Hill (arrange in advance). Hike south on the Pine Hill West Branch Trail to Belleayre and Balsam, continue to Eagle, Big Indian, and down to the Biscuit Brook trail head (or bushwhack over to Fir, Spruce and Hemlock). Walk the road 3.3 miles to the Slide Mt. trail and follow east over Slide, Cornell and Wittenberg until you reach the junction with the lovely new Long Path section. Turn onto the blue LP and descend to your car. The trailed route plus road walk is about 33.5 miles. Lots of options for camping along the way, depending on your mileage. I'd suggest aiming for the tent sites about 1.2 miles after the Slide Mt. parking lot, west of Slide's summit (get water at the piped spring before you start climbing up the trail).
    We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing ~ Satchel Paige

Comment

• Murdock
      Murdock commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Debmonster....I look forward to checking this out.
Working...
X