Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marys glenn - escarpment - colgate lake ok for an overnight?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marys glenn - escarpment - colgate lake ok for an overnight?

Planning on doing an overnight in the catskills with my two boys ages 7 and ten. My ten year old has already been on two trips with me but for the 7 year old it will be his first overnight. I am thinking of going with two cars and staring by ashley falls in North South campground area and finishing by the colgate lake parking area for a total of 10.3 miles. I am looking for relatively easy hiking which is why i chose this route. My main concern is with finding a good place to pitch a tent - any recommendations or input from anyone whose been on these trails? Also want to know if i can rely on there being water near dutcher notch for a refuel. Thanks so much in advance

There is a spring about 1.2 mile east of Dutcher's Notch on the DN Trail. It should be running with the rain we've had, but I've seen it as just a trickle int he summer. There is NO camping in the Notch itself. Quite a bit of this trail is within the North/South Lake Campground area and camping is prohibited. I'm told it's patrolled, but I have NEVER seen anyone out there patrolling. You have to reach state land, north of North Point and then do the 150' rule; there is no water nearby.

If you post this question at the Catskill Mountaineer forum, a hiker named Mike may see it and give you directions to a legal site past North Point.

Comment

• zomick@verizon.net
      zomick@verizon.net commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks. i wanted to post there but the registration for that site apparently takes longer and i still cant post. I am leaving early sunday so im a bit pressed for time.

There is a great campsite in a meadow just after the descent from Dutcher's Notch. There are streams nearby. (FYI - the spring east of Dutcher's Notch is about .4 miles down the trail that leads to Stork's Nest Rd. - it is fairly reliable if there's been recent rain.) I think this is a good plan - you should find solitude because very few hikers go up to Dutcher's Notch from Colgate Lake (but it is overgrown in spots).

Comment

• zomick@verizon.net
      zomick@verizon.net commented
      Editing a comment
      thank you very much for that information! I am super relieved to hear about the camping site. To clarify - the camp site with streams is to the west of dutchers north - towards colgate - but the spring is to the east in the opposite direction? Are the streams a reliable water source or might i have to find that spring? Either way, thanks again.

• aoc-1
      aoc-1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, the campsite is to the west, downhill from Dutcher's Notch. There are photos of the campsite on the catskillmountaineer website (see Colgate Lake to Dutcher's Notch). There are streams and a waterfall nearby (I'd filter). The spring is in the opposite direction - downhill east from Dutcher's Notch. No need to visit the spring if you plan to camp at the meadow campsite.
Working...
X