Slide/Peekamoose Area

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide/Peekamoose Area

This is probably even more of a fools errand than my usual questions, but is there any reasonable way to get there without a car? I assume I would take a bus to NYC Port Authority then turn around from there onto something northbound. But has anyone done this, or do you know for a fact that it is possible?

So far it looks like the closest I can get is Woodbourne which would be a 22-mile taxi ride, and likely VERY expensive...

If it's possible, I would want to start at Peekamoose, go over the group of 8/bushwhack range, and finish either off of Slide (if it's reasonable to get a taxi and/or hitch from Oliverea Rd) or over Panther and down that trail to Shandaken.

Is this doable or am I looking at yet another impossible trip?
    ADK 46*/46 CATS 5/35 FT 4/28 Saranac 0/6 Bristol 6/6

You can catch the Trailways bus from Port Authority to the stops on Route 28 at Phoenicia, Shandaken, Big Indian and Pine Hill, all of which are within a reasonable walk to hiking trails. The closest public transportation near the town of Sundown (the Peekamoose end of your trip) is the Trailways stop in Mt. Tremper. You'd have to take a taxi from there to the trailhead on Route 42. My favorite taxi service to trail heads is Smiley's transportation in Tannersville (518) 589-6533. They are familiar with many of the Catskill trails and I've used them for Devil's Path and LP hikes. Another good taxi in the area is Woodstock Taxi (845) 679-TAXI (7766), but I'd call to make sure they're still around. I'd also suggest checking the Long Path thru-hiker's guide book to see if anyone is listed who provides hiker shuttle services to LP hikers in the Catskills. You might want to post a message on the Catskill 3500 Club's Yahoo group, or the Facebook page for Friends of the Long Path, or the FB group for Catskill Trail Conditions, to see if someone would be willing. If I have to use a taxi or shuttle, I prefer to have them drop me off at the start so that I can arrive at my destination on my own time and not worry about missing a ride or having them wait hours for me. There might not be very good cell service west of Phoenicia either, except on top of some of the peaks, so you might not be able to call for a ride when you finish.

Not sure if you're open to modifying your hike itinerary, but a good public transit option is to have the bus to drop you off at Allaben on Route 28 (west of Phoenicia) and walk on Fox Hollow Road to the Panther trail head, over Panther and Giant Ledge, follow the Phoenicia East trail to the Slide parking lot, then climb up to Slide, Cornell, Wittenberg and down the beautiful new section of the Long Path to finish at the Lane Street trail head, which is only about a 1 mile walk into Phoenicia, where you can get a tasty meal at Brio's and catch the bus back to Port Authority.

If you can get a ride to start at Peekamoose, and still want to bushwhack, you could hike Peek-Table, Lone, Rocky, Balsam Cap, Friday, then through the very tight pines of the Dink, over to Cornell, then Wittenberg, and down the LP to end in Phoenicia. This route skips Slide, but is more user friendly for those without cars than your current plan.

Another (much harder) option would be to go from Allaben over Panther and Giant Ledge, then on the Phoenicia East trail (with an optional trip up to Slide and down the lovely Curtis-Ormsbee trail) over to Table and Peekamoose, then on to Lone, Rocky, BC, Friday, through the Dink and up to Cornell, Wittenberg and then down the LP to Phoenicia. Not sure of how much time and endurance you have, but this would be a long, hard trip!

Don't underestimate the difficulty of the 4 bushwhack peaks, and make sure that your map and compass skills are ready. Although there has been recent (and hateful) marking of some trees on the way to these peaks, they are not the easy-to-follow unmarked paths of the ADKs. They are still more of a true bushwack that will require good route-finding skills for at least a fair part of the section. Have a bail-out plan if you find that you can't get through it all. It's not a bad whack from the fork in the Neversink between Rocky and BC to the trail in the col between Slide and Cornell, in case you need an early out.

I hope that you do get out for this hike, or ANY hike. But I also hope that you plan something that you'll enjoy.

Good luck and have fun!
    Last edited by debmonster; 04-17-2017, 06:49 PM.
    We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing ~ Satchel Paige

Comment

The thing is I can probably only afford one hike a year, so going down from 9 peaks to 4 is a big deal... and I wanted to get these bushwhack ones out of the way quickly before last fall's tree markings (and maybe this winter's tracks) are completely gone. I was planning on 24-28 hours for my hike, so I don't think time will be too much of a problem, unless I do have to start at a very low elevation (which is why I was hoping not to start in Phoenicia and take that extra 1500' hit relative to Peekamoose)

Comment

Understood. I didn't realize that you were peak bagging. The first route I suggested gives you a much more scenic hike, but of course what you choose depends on your priorities.
        We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing ~ Satchel Paige

Comment

I'm only at 5/39. However, I feel like I'm closer to the 39 than the 46 (despite being at 45.9/46), and I know those missed peaks would set me back another year (and will also only get more difficult as they return to normal after the tree-slasher). My main priority is just to make it to the top of some mountain each year, but it would be nice to actually finish a list, after putting so much effort into a failed attempt at the 46...

Comment

I didn't see any tree slashing, so you really don't know what you're talking about.
            I might be kidding...

Comment

• bfinan0
              bfinan0 commented
              Editing a comment
              But I guess if that's the case, waiting a few more years for when it would at least be cheaper to take an Uber to the start and I might be able to find someone willing to go with me might not be too bad of an idea.

• CatskillKev
              CatskillKev commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, I think your preferred style would favor trailed hikes. Best not to jump into an area you don't know with a huge bushwhack hike. Its not like you're trying to hike all 35 in a winter and want to get a quick 9 before the snow comes.

• bfinan0
              bfinan0 commented
              Editing a comment
              No, but when I only might have one hiking day (or 24-30 hours, I'm fine with hiking all night and being completely burned out for the 10 hour bus ride home) each year I'd like to get as many peaks as possible, whether that turns out to be in the Adirondacks, Catskills, Whites or even Tatras considering the travel time and cost are roughly equal...

You could go Palenville to Phoenicia. That would be Kaaterskill High Peak, if you take a quick side trip to the peak, Indian Head, Twin, Sugarloaf, Plateau, Edgewood, Mount Tremper. 5 high peaks. That's about 35 miles. Nearly 2/3rds of the Manitou's Revenge. I warn you its not easy going down into Warner Creek and coming back out and over Mount Tremper. Easy to get in trouble. It seems like that's the kind of hike you're looking for, but I don't really see how you can do it without training.

About 9000 vertical probably, so a bit much, even for you? :-)
            I might be kidding...

Comment

Originally posted by CatskillKev View Post
              I don't really see how you can do it without training.

About 9000 vertical probably, so a bit much, even for you? :-)
              Yeah, a bit heavy on the vertical, especially when it's been years since I've seen Ellie Gaines, I'm sure she has it in for me ;-/

That's why I liked those other 9 peaks, get all those in a row without dropping below 3000...

Comment

Deb's advice was good, to do Panther, Giant Ledge, Slide, Cornell, Wittenberg, Cross, across the side of Mount Pleasant, Romer. That gives you 4 high peaks and a nice long hike that should be quite rewarding if it doesn't kill you. That's the Cat's Tail Marathon course. It might be close to 7000 vertical though. I'd have to check if its that much.
                I might be kidding...

Comment

Not a bad idea. I feel bad leaving so many peaks behind, but I guess leaving the four bushwhack peaks behind is exactly as bad as missing Panther, because either one will add another trip and another year to my quest for 35.

I just want to finish one list -- any list -- to make up for not getting my 46...

Comment

This one might have potential. Phoenicia to Arkville. Panther, Giant Ledge, Fir, Big Indian, (maybe go to Eagle and Balsam and come back, but long), Doubletop, Graham, Balsam Lake and Dry Brook Ridge. 6 or 8 peaks. The bushwhack from Fir to Big Indian is moderately difficult and then Doubletop and Graham become harder, so might not be a good hike for an inexperienced bushwhacker.
                    I might be kidding...

Comment

I'm not sure what I'll do. Like I said I was putting out feelers for four different regions, the Adirondacks, Catskills, Whites and Tatras, whichever area has the best options is the one I'll go to.

Comment

You can look into bringing a bike on the bus, too, if you didn't think your trip was complicated enough. Or, you can count on hitch-hiking, like the guy that just did the Devil's Path. I have never done such a thing myself, though.

Of course, bus to bus won't help with a bike I suppose.
                        Last edited by CatskillKev; 04-19-2017, 10:14 AM.
                        I might be kidding...

Comment

I AM very good at making things complicated. Maybe I should look into that, even though it wouldn't be all that useful.

Comment

That last one was too long. How about Phoenicia (or Shandaken or Big Indian) to Pine Hill or vice versa? Panther, Giant Ledge, Fir, Big Indian, Eagle, Balsam, Belleayre? 5 peaks

OR, Pine Hill to Arkville? Belleayre, Balsam, Eagle, Big Indian, (fir?) Doubletop, Graham, Balsam Lake, Dry Brook Ridge. 6 or 7 peaks

Last edited by CatskillKev; 04-19-2017, 11:49 AM.
                            I might be kidding...

Comment

Working...
                            X