Is there still snow?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there still snow?

If I were to try to get a few Catskill peaks in this weekend, am I likely to run into any residual white sh*t or is it more likely spring conditions?
    ADK 46*/46 CATS 5/35 FT 4/28 Saranac 0/6 Bristol 6/6

I haven't been up there since January, so can't say first-hand. But this was posted yesterday in the Catskill Trail Conditions Facebook Page: "Hiked Burroughs Traverse 4/9 from Woodland Valley. Microspikes helpful at higher elevations but as day wore on and mashed potatoes turned soupier the microspikes didn't provide much traction. Going up Slide from the east (Cornell) was pretty slippery, treacherous and slow going but, the very top portion of ladders was thankfully exposed, The west branch of Neversink at Slide parking/trailhead was completely passable - we skipped over on rocks,1-2-3. I suspect this will be variable due to melting snow pack and future precip- but- there is a big old tree going across and it is GROUND level, only a few feet off the ground, very doable."
    We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing ~ Satchel Paige

Comment

Got it. I'll wait another week, this 80 degree weather should clear it out soon
      ADK 46*/46 CATS 5/35 FT 4/28 Saranac 0/6 Bristol 6/6

Comment

We used snowshoes above 2800 feet on North Dome & Sherrill on Saturday. On Sunday, Doubletop was snow-free until about 3300 feet, and we only needed spikes for slippery spots to the summit.

Comment

I did Plateau from Mink Hollow on Saturday. Mostly snow the whole way except for a few bare spots. Microspikes definitely needed for the ice on the steep sections near the summit.

Comment

(4-13) Hunter via Becker Hollow snow free to 3500ft. - then snow and ice to summit. Microspikes were helpful for the descent. The snow/ice will probably linger at higher elevations for another week.

Comment

Working...
            X