Annual snowshoe rant - and a bonus at the end

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by All Downhill From Here View Post
    Since this thread has now wandered all over the place, I'll ask a related question - when wearing shoes, how do you keep from getting tripped up by the briars, underbrush, etc? I've done walks on snow-covered fields and backroads, and its fine, but I'd think it would be a nightmare in the woods.
    When the snow is not very deep, it can be tricky. Not sure what to say, except go slowly and carefully.

Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYivAQbYfoQ

Comment

• PA Ridgerunner
        PA Ridgerunner commented
        Editing a comment
        "It's OK. He's not talking about the Catskills."

Great thread subject but my question still needs answering. Will I need snowshoes this weekend?

Comment

• CatskillKev
        CatskillKev commented
        Editing a comment
        How can we in the Catskills measure the snow to the side of the trail where you usually go north of here, and make any kind of practical assessment? You do mean snowsquooshers, right?

If you're talking about snowshoes, you need to look at the forecast, and where exactly you're going. You might want to carry snowsquooshers as a back-up also, since a group may have already come through and ruined your snow.

All Downhill from Here commented: There's an actual fine?

To be more specific, since this thread is under Catskill Hiking, there is an 8 inches of snow snowshoe rule in the Eastern High Peaks of the Adirondacks. That is the dictating area.
      I might be kidding...

Comment

I have the MSR Denali Ascents which are good for basic trail snowshoeing. But my Bearpen explorations in fresh pow, called for something "floatier". I now also have something from Louis Garneau they are awesome in deep pow.

Comment

i thought this video was pretty cool - i think CatskillKev posted a link last year:

https://lureofthenorth.com/modern-vs...nal-snowshoes/

actually all of their videos for this outfitter are pretty interesting - this one was pretty cool too https://lureofthenorth.com/snowwalke...sinaibi-river/

Comment

If you dont want to wear your showshoes.. dont walk in the packed track!

Comment

Is there a certain date that the snowshoe restriction goes away? Let's say, (as happened in the Adirondacks a few years ago), there is a major late-May snowstorm that drops a foot or two on high elevations, would this rule be in effect in June?
              ADK 46*/46 CATS 5/35 FT 4/28 Saranac 0/6 Bristol 6/6

Comment

• bfinan0
                bfinan0 commented
                Editing a comment
                I guess that means May 6-7 isn't a good day for my hike this year, and to make sure I can get to the summits I should wait until the other side of blackfly season...

• CatskillKev
                CatskillKev commented
                Editing a comment
                May 6th could be early, unless you're hiking a south-facing pitch.

• bfinan0
                bfinan0 commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't really know or care where I go. I just know that I'll only have one day of having anyone to hike with me in 2017, and a 18-21 hour window to do it based on exact destination and bus schedule... late summer or early fall is probably smartest but I didn't want to wait that long.

I recently saw these from a company out of Norway called Fimbulvetr. They seem interesting though I'm not sure of their application when encountering bits of ice whilst on the mountain.

http://www.fimbulvetr.no/
              Last edited by Cool Chuck; 01-03-2017, 12:22 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
              "I will come again and conquer you because as a mountain you can't grow, but as a human I can." Sir Edmund Hillary 46/46 #9964 - 8/46W

Comment

• CatskillKev
                CatskillKev commented
                Editing a comment
                These are interesting because they are short and wide, not especially light, no matter what they might say (at least a weight of close to 5 pounds doesn't sound light to me). Milk crates without bread knives. Probably too expensive for people to dare try. Esthetically I don't like milk crates, and who knows if they work well even off trail, like with binding, crampon, etc. They might be a good off trail climber, though. Hard to say. Probably too wide for the standard trench, unfortunate as that may be.
            Working...
            X