Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Echo Lake (Indian Head Wilderness) fishing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Echo Lake (Indian Head Wilderness) fishing?

Going to hike up to Echo Lake soon. Is it worth fishing here? Online sites say there are trout. Any insight?

It's been years since I was there, but from what I remember, the lake looked pretty shallow, with a somewhat grassy and sometimes muddy shoreline. There may be fish, but I don't know how easy it would be to get to them.

You can see a few pictures of the lake here: https://picasaweb.google.com/dsettah...ightAtEchoLake

Comment

Curious if anyone has actually caught anything at Echo Lake in recent years. I've fished it a couple times in the past two years and not a single bite. Everyone I've spoken with has said the same. However the DEC still post it as trout waters.

On a side note the beavers have *really* taken over the place. Multiple lodges on the water now. Shoreline looks like a bomb was dropped on it. Any correlation between rising beaver population and declining fish?
      Think cold thoughts.

Catskill 3500 39/39 | 35/35W | 35/35 Ski

Comment

Spoke to a friend of mine who camped there towards the end of August. He brought his fishing gear with him but was unsuccessful throughout the weekend. Not even a nibble; regardless of what tossed out.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Comment

I remember an article (Adirondac maybe?) quite a few years ago about a winter group backpacking into Echo Lake. They dragged sleds with days worth of gear including ice fishing equipment.They were catching trout through the ice then. I haven't read of anything recent though.
          And because of all their tears
          Their eyes can't hope to see
          The beauty that surrounds them
          Isn't it a pity
          -George Harrison

Comment

Tony, remember the day we were on the Indian Head look out and the osprey flew by with the big trout? We thought it came from Echo Lake.

Comment

Yes that's right. That osprey looked like it was showing off its trophy!
              And because of all their tears
              Their eyes can't hope to see
              The beauty that surrounds them
              Isn't it a pity
              -George Harrison

Comment

Working...
              X