Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irene Related reports - Catskills (post here)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irene Related reports - Catskills (post here)

Looks like the Catskills got pounded by Irene in the last day or so, certainly with rain and likely with wind in the higher elevations too. Sounds like there is some localized flooding too.

In the coming days, we're gonna get TONS of reports of damage in the backcountry that will start to trickle in. Things like trail damage, new slides, etc.... Use this post to report things you see yourself, or you come across that will be helpful for fellow hikers in making backcountry plans. Having one place to find centralized information about conditions should be pretty helpful.

I hope I'm wrong, but it sounds like the landscape is gonna be changed a bit after this one.
    "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Saw this report posted on VFTT....

http://www.weather.com/weather/hurri...ene_2011-08-28

Comment

My son goes to SUNY New Paltz and there is a state of emergency in effect for the town and everyone is on a 7PM curfew. Town is closed tomorrow..... Some areas have significant flooding.

below is some video of flooding just down the street from the college. Several buildings on campus are flooded, including the Student Union.

Last edited by Mavs00; 08-28-2011, 09:33 PM.

Comment

I've been following this live blog from the Watershed Post.

http://www.watershedpost.com/

I do know that almost all of the bridges between Boiceville and West Shokan are damaged. The old Cold Brook bridge washed away and hit the 5 arch bridge on 28A. A large chunk of Watson Hollow Rd. washed away between South Hollow Rd. and the Kanape Brook PA.
        "If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite."

Wiliam Blake

Comment

roads from the east

I heard on the radio this morning, the only access from the east side of the catskill is via Platte Clove Road, 28, 23 & 23A are all closed
          I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.

- E. B. White

Comment

Please make sure to let the Trail Conference know of any trail related problems that you come across as you start hiking after Irene. We will use this information to mobilize trail maintainers and trail crews to fix serious issues first and then move on to other problems. Even if a trail is not currently maintained by our organization, we will forward the information to the appropriate groups and organizations (or agencies). You can also directly send me information and I will get it out to everyone.

Trail problem report form is here:
            http://www.nynjtc.org/webform/trail-problem-report
            Jeff Senterman, Senior Program Coordinator,
            New York-New Jersey Trail Conference
            jsenterman@nynjtc.org
            www.nynjtc.org/catskills

Join the Trail Conference in the Catskills on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by TrailConferenceCatskills View Post
              Please make sure to let the Trail Conference know of any trail related problems that you come across as you start hiking after Irene. We will use this information to mobilize trail maintainers and trail crews to fix serious issues first and then move on to other problems. Even if a trail is not currently maintained by our organization, we will forward the information to the appropriate groups and organizations (or agencies). You can also directly send me information and I will get it out to everyone.

Trail problem report form is here:
              http://www.nynjtc.org/webform/trail-problem-report
              It might be easier if we let you know which trails are NOT impacted!
              Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
              Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
              Past President Catskill 3500 Club
              CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

Comment

Tom - I totally understand the sentiment and the damage is overwhelming, but I need to be able to report back to DEC and to the Trail Conference with specific problems so that we can put together a list of projects in order of importance (say a major bridge is missing, that's more important than a newly eroded section of trail that is still passable). Information like the bridge being gone for the Escarpment Trail at Route 23 in Windham is very important.

I'd just ask that everyone take the minute or so it takes to fill out the form to let me know. If you don't like the form, feel free to email me (jsenterman@nynjtc.org) or call me (518-703-1196) - though cell service has been spotty, I think the tower on Hunter Mountain isn't running at the moment.
                jsenterman@nynjtc.org
                www.nynjtc.org/catskills

Comment

In addition, as those reports are coming in, the Trail Conference has created a page to alert hikers to these problem areas. This page includes all areas that the Trail Conference works in, including the Catskills.

http://www.nynjtc.org/news/postirene...il-maintainers
                  jsenterman@nynjtc.org
                  www.nynjtc.org/catskills

Comment

All of bridges between Boiceville and West Shokan are now open. Watson Hollow Rd. is completely gone past South Hollow Rd. So there is no access to the Kanape Brook PA or Peekamoose from the West Shokan side.

A large chunk of Moonhaw Rd. is washed out past Shultis Lane. So anybody thinking about a Friday/BC hike should take care when passing through that area. I wouldn't drive past that point, but I saw another car go through the roadblock.
                    "If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite."

Wiliam Blake

Comment

Here is some of what I investigated or heard:

WHP (rt 23): Bridge out
                      Blackheads: Inaccessible from Maplecrest
                      Bearpen/Vly: Inaccessible from the north
                      North/South Lake: Maybe
                      KHP: Maybe
                      Devil's Path: Maybe
                      Spruceton Road: Inaccessible
                      Hunter (rt 214): maybe

Any maybe's may mean fording creeks or high water. Severe erosion. Lots of down trees. Lots of blowdown. If you get injured, it may be quite some time before anyone can help you. Don't hike alone.

Please note: The eastern escarpment had very high winds, but less rain. On the mountaintop, more rain and less wind. Prattsville is reported to have been wiped out. Accessible by helicopter only (Windham Police).

One death in Lanesville. Two deaths reported Maplecrest. May be many deaths in Prattsville.

Rt 23 is open to Windham.
                      Rt 296 is open from Windham to Hunter.
                      Palenville is reported to have a bridge out.
                      From Palenville to hunter Rt 23a is good (if you can get to Palenville).
                      Driving accessibility to the TH will be a challenge.

On Sunday it took me 3 hrs to go from East Windham to Haines Falls. The roads are better. But, you need to beware of missing pavement without warning cones.

Comment

Please stay AWAY!

"I wouldn't drive past that point, but I saw another car go through the roadblock."

I hope anyone who drives around a road block is arrested and heavily fined! This goes passed stupid!

"Any maybe's may mean fording creeks or high water. Severe erosion. Lots of down trees. Lots of blowdown. If you get injured, it may be quite some time before anyone can help you. Don't hike alone."

If YOU get injured, then I or someone else WILL come out to attempt to rescue you and thereby endanger our own lives! Don't hike alone? How about don't hike in ANY of these areas until some cleanup has been done. No one should be entering these areas to hike until at least this weekend and that may be too early!

Sorry to be so strident but people died, people were injured, people lost everything they had in these areas and we are talking about hiking!

Comment

Road conditions have been variable. When I traveled down Rt 23 on Sunday, it was like a war zone. Road missing in places. Boulders everywhere. Trees, stumps, and limbs littered the road. Dirt and grass everywhere. But, no road closures. One guy didn't see a gapping hole in the road and drove his pickup into the gully with raging water. Next day, the road was cleared, but the holes were still there. Another guy hit some protruding asphalt and ripped open the sidewall of his tire. Still no road closures.

The side road to Hensonville was flooding, so there was a road closure. You could have driven through it, but it was closed. Some local people went down there anyway. Today, the road closures were gone, but you have a 50' section of road missing. Go figure.

Today, they had road closure signs at 296/Rt 23. But, thousands of cars went past it. When they got to the center of Windham, the police sent them up Church St.

If there was a real good reason to close the road, the police blocked it, or the DOT put trucks across the road. I can't speak for all regions. But, road closures didn't mean much. No matter where you went, it was dangerous. I am not advocating that you should go past them. But, they seemed to have different means over the past couple of days.

I should also point out that some of the cell towers are not working.

Comment

Originally posted by CatskillHiker View Post
                            Sorry to be so strident but people died, people were injured, people lost everything they had in these areas and we are talking about hiking!
                            Don't apologize for being strident.

This a hiking forum and we express our ideas within the context of hiking.

I can promise you, that almost everyone up here on this forum shares a concern for the people affected by Hurricane Irene and not just in the Catskill and Adirondack regions. A very deep concern for the people, places and things we have come to know and love through our outings in their backyard.

My thoughts about this are that we as community, have joined in their community by our love of hiking in the beauty of the Catskills and Adirondacks.

Both communities want a return to livable normalcy. We all share a sense of loss.

We also express our desire for their return to peace by expressing a desire to hike again in their backyard. For me, personally, I have a strong desire to get 'back in the saddle' as part of the healing process for all involved. I know I will see some friends I have made who are residents, and we will share a moment of 'OK, this is starting to feel right again'.

One element to consider, when the hikers return, another element of peace and normalcy is restored.

My heart reaches out to all those affected by this powerful storm - many blessings to all affected and may their inevitable suffering be for the benefit of all. In Peace.
                            Last edited by Zer0-G; 08-30-2011, 02:36 PM.
                            Natural environment sustains the life of all beings universally. Trees are referred to in accounts of the principal events of Buddha's life. His mother leaned against a tree for support as she gave birth to him. He attained enlightenment seated beneath a tree, and finally passed away as trees stood witness overhead. H.H. D. L.

"experience is something you don't get until after you need it, that's the problem." - Joe Simpson

As I was walking - I saw a sign there
                            And that sign said - No tresspassin'
                            But on the other side - it didn't say nuthin'
                            Now that side was made for you and me!
                            - Woody Guthrie -

Charter Member of the Tongue-In-Cheek Club (TIC)

Comment

Zer0 is right...... let's keep this thread to it's intended purposes...... discussing backcountry-relate damage reports (which obviously includes road closures that effect backcountry recreation).

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X