westkill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• westkill

broke out yesterday by the guy with giant snowshoes. today it was a pleasant walk with tiny snow shoes. get it quick, one set of micro spikes should expose the ice.

Those were my large ones. I used my huge ones on Doubletop today, though.
    I might be kidding...

Comment

Does snow stick to them well?

Comment

Yes, snow sticks to them very well when the evening warms up (the night before) and sticky snow fell on top of the crust (Talking Doubletop hike here). I had to keep bending down to push the snow off of the expansive front. Quite the challenge, but not much sinking. Sticking was the biggest problem, as I'm sure you're aware.
        Last edited by CatskillKev; 02-11-2018, 05:55 PM.
        I might be kidding...

Comment

yes, that 2'' of sticky snow was a pia, I was hoping it would either get colder or rain enough to saturate it so it wouldn't stick. But as always, I floated like a butterfly

Comment

Originally posted by CatskillKev View Post
            Those were my large ones. I used my huge ones on Doubletop today, though.
            How much snow did you have up there ? Wondering if there will be any left or all melted away by now.

Comment

• CatskillKev
              CatskillKev commented
              Editing a comment
              The north ridge of Doubletop had maybe 8 to 14 inches. If you make your own track, there probably will still be enough snow. My track got post-holed. We ran into a group of about 6, and made a different track, after meeting them. Saturday will be another crust morning, and a snow storm is supposed to be coming Saturday night. If your hike is Saturday, you can probably choose between barebooting on the broken trails, or snowshoeing your own track on a crust, especially if you go early, for the hard crust.
              Last edited by CatskillKev; 02-15-2018, 12:02 PM.

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

Comment

• CatskillKev
              CatskillKev commented
              Editing a comment
              While I'm sure the snow wasn't all gone up high, I'm afraid my prediction was a little on the optimistic side for much of a good snowshoe experience. Hope you had fun.
          Working...
          X