Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BH>BH

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BH>BH

Snow shoes. Up Escarpment to BH as it had not been post hoed, then down to the gap where it was PH'ed up to BD. Foggy , misty, and then a soaking drizzle. Conditions were excellent, repacking the trail as we went. Met the PHers who informed us that it was not a designated snow shoe trail so they were with in their legal rights. Got to love trail lawyers. Returned via Lockitt Gap.

Post-holing is a mind-boggling problem in some ways, isn't it? Sorry to hear that your eyes became foggy, misty, and then a soaking drizzle. If they'd known their holes would have that effect on you, I'm sure they wouldn't have done it. Were they wearing suits and ties and shiny shoes?
    I might be kidding...

Comment

The Beatles wrote the lyric "now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall." What kind of holes did they mean? We will never know how many holes, PHers or otherwise can fill the mountains.
      And because of all their tears
      Their eyes can't hope to see
      The beauty that surrounds them
      Isn't it a pity
      -George Harrison

Comment

No shiny shoes, suits or ties, just some type of high-tech cotton sweatshirts and pants, most likely traveling incognito. And we will never know how many holes it will take, still lots of room.

Comment

• CatskillKev
          CatskillKev commented
          Editing a comment
          Were they wearing microspikes? Are they just hikers, or do they seem to run sometimes? I saw this type on Giant Ledge heading to Panther once a couple years ago or more.

Originally posted by mudhook View Post
        Snow shoes. Up Escarpment to BH as it had not been post hoed, then down to the gap where it was PH'ed up to BD. Foggy , misty, and then a soaking drizzle. Conditions were excellent, repacking the trail as we went. Met the PHers who informed us that it was not a designated snow shoe trail so they were with in their legal rights. Got to love trail lawyers. Returned via Lockitt Gap.
        I've been of the impression that post holers think it's their birthright.
        Don

Comment

While hiking Sugarloaf on Saturday I was caught by 2 post holers carrying snowshoes on there back packs.
          I told them this was the second biggest snowfall I've seen in a bunch of years. I asked them what would it take
          for them to put on the snowshoes? If they can't go anymore they will put them on. It was like mashed potatoes,
          but I was leaving a nice trail to go down. Then they came along.

Comment

• CatskillKev
            CatskillKev commented
            Editing a comment
            Good work catdacker! Now we're getting in the mind of a post-holer or two. That's good. Now what do we do? Smile

Since they caught you, they weren't even slowed by their choice of footwear. This is very disturbing news. And if they're stopped, then they just put on the snowshoes and make holes another day. They have a system. There must be a Post Holer Magazine. With cool-looking enthusiasts on the front cover. Maybe there is a post-holing list.

I have to ask, Do post holers use poles? I'm guessing they don't. If the DEC would require poles, it might get the ball rolling on fewer holes, and yet not have the side effect of making us all snowshoe on concrete.

Of course, I do know some trail runners use poles, and can have a post holing mentality, so it would not be 100% effective.

They caught us because we spent too much time playing at the quarry. They were slip sliding along coming up as we were walking easily and with confidence in our snow shoes down hill. It was raining so we turned around, not wanting to just check off our hike to Sugarloaf in March to finish the month. We turned around to come back when we would have a view and sit at the view and ponder the meaning of life.

Comment

• CatskillKev
            CatskillKev commented
            Editing a comment
            That is thoughtful.
        Working...
        X