Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't Trust the Rope at the Cornell Crack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Trust the Rope at the Cornell Crack

The red one is frayed and the white one doesn't look very strong. We used them to get the first hiker up but then set a decent rope for the others. Sorry, we took it back with us when we left.

Trail from Woodland Valley was hard packed in the morning, excellent for microspikes. There was a lot of exposed ice leading up to Witt. On the way back, temperatures had soared and the clear ice was more walkable than the snow because the snow would just slide off the ice underneath but not allow your points to get a bite. No balling. Maybe that was because of the spray we used (boot water repellent, not used cooking grease)...

+1 on not trusting a random rope. I actually had a conversation with someone about this very rope a few days ago. I would recommend packing out any rope left in the mountains as garbage.
    Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

Comment

I was at the crack on Monday and brought my own rope to assist my hiking partner with her ascent. I found there a red rope that was in good condition (albeit it covered in ice). I didn't mind that it was there.

Comment

Working...
      X