Return to Seager 2-14-2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return to Seager 2-14-2017

❤️️ Back to Seager today with the Rips. Trails generally had little additional snow, except that the wind whipped up big drifts wherever there was a corner, a rise or a ledge. It also go deeper as we got higher. Sometimes over 3 feet! Plan was to hike Doubletop and Graham but we were content with just Doubletop. All of Saturday's herd paths were obliterated. Sometimes we could feel some substance under our feet, but mostly it was breaking new trails into the last 2 snowstorms. Could have used some 20 somethings in our group. Anyway, there's a 7 hikers up and 7 hikers down track to Doubletop. We replaced the old drunken sailor track with a new drunken sailor track...

Most likely too many 20 somethings in your group. 25 inch, 22 inch. That's no way to act, unless you're 80 pounds.
    I might be kidding...

Comment

You did pick a good mountain for the day, since you were sheltered on the north side. It was too warm a day otherwise, with that sun. Snow sticking to snowshoes is going to be a problem. Terrible weather we're having. I guess it might be worth at least putting some food grade oil on your crampons. I actually have not tried it, but need to. As far as oiling up the whole snowshoe, maybe, if the conditions are really bad.
      I might be kidding...

Comment

Yes, balling wasn't a problem. We had some nice sunny stops on the descent, but nearer the top we had to keep them short because of cold. I measured low 20's (twenty something) on my thermometer...

Comment

try putting oil used to fry fish on your SS, By the end of the day every mountain lion, bobcat ,weasel, fisher cat, bear will be following you. Best to get out before dark.

Comment

• CatskillKev
            CatskillKev commented
            Editing a comment
            There does lie a good point in there somewhere. But I don't want to use motor oil, so its got to be a little tasty, I guess.
        Working...
        X