Panther and Giant Ledge from Fox Hollow 12-19-14

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panther and Giant Ledge from Fox Hollow 12-19-14

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sred...pFg&feat=emailThe Catskill 3500 club broke this trail out 12-14 , but we had some more snow and ice since then , so I broke it out a little bit more. Above 2600 ' over a foot of snow , so I wore s.s's most of the day. It snowed on the summits during the day , and the wind drifted some of the snow.It's a good snowshoe trail from Fox Hollow to Giant Ledge ,and I met a couple of guys that came up from the hair pin turn and they said that the trail is broken from that direction.A nice solo hike . Here are a few pictures.
    "You are never really alone in the mountains. Something is there ,and you will find it in yourself "
    Ralph Ryndak

Thanks for the update Ralph! Better watch out for those two characters you saw on top!

Comment

They told me that they cleared branches off the trail from the hair pin turn. I cleared what I could from Fox Hollow. It looks the upper sections got a ice storm since last weekend. Wednesdays storm should change the conditions again.
      "You are never really alone in the mountains. Something is there ,and you will find it in yourself "
      Ralph Ryndak

Comment

Hi Ralph nice to meet you on top of Panther on friday. Steve and I are the two characters and we often clear the trails as we work on the grid.

Rick

Comment

So glad to meet other hikers that are working on the trails clandestine.
          Ralph Ryndak

Comment

Steve and Rick are not really clandestine - they are always at the 3500 club trail maintenance hikes and always a pleasure to work with or hike with!

Comment

You folks do great work. I remember some years back Harry Rampe was leading a hike over Eagle and Balsam mtns. and asked me to join because he wasn't feeling well and I may have to take over,which I did near Balsam Mt.. It was after a big ice storm and the trail was covered with large and small branches.The group of 12 cleared tons of branches off the trail,very rewarding feeling and team work.Although Harry told me later a couple people complained.Oh well there is always a couple in the crowd.I may be wrong here,but I feel that hundreds of people use the trails and that the burden of maintaining them should not fall on just the trail maintainers and rangers. We should all chip in,even if it's just removing reasonable size branches off the trails.Well if off to Leavitt and Hunter now,but I won't touch a branch or limb on the railbed
              Last edited by Hermit; 12-21-2014, 08:00 AM.
              Ralph Ryndak

Comment

Working...
              X