Catskill Weekend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catskill Weekend

Last weekend the Conn. Section of the Green Mountain Club had their annual Catskill Weekend. There were 11 of us most of the time, and a couple more for a while.

The weather was warm both days, with high stratus clouds, more on Sunday than Saturday. There was very little snow, except on the north slopes of the peaks on Panther's ridgeline, but even that wasn't deep. There were many places with thick ice covering the trail, though. My microspikes kept going on and coming off both days, especially Saturday.

Saturday 27 Jan. - Panther

On Saturday 11 of us hiked Panther. Six did an out-and-back from Rte. 47. Five, including myself, did the traverse from there to Fox Hollow, where we had spotted some cars. I had previously done both halves of this hike separately as out-and-backs.

There were great views, especially from Giant's Ledge. We met a lot of hikers in the southern section, before the summit, and a few in the northern section.

My right kneecap was hurting me in the descents. I'm not sure what's up with that. When the descent would change to flat or uphill, though, the pain would go away within seconds.

Sunday 28 Jan. - Upper Kaaterskill Falls, Escarpment Trail, and North-South Lake

On Sunday 11 of us hiked the southern end of the Escarpment Trail, with a side trip to Kaaterskill Falls, and, for me, a futher hike to Boulder Rock and the lake.

I had hiked the beginning of this in 2016 with my son. In that hike we'd passed an abutment over the brook above the falls, but there was no bridge there. That bridge is there now. We took it, and it led to a viewing platform looking over the Upper Kaaterskill Falls. (You could barely see the Lower Falls.) The falls were running strong, with ice buildups whenever the water came near rock. It was very cool.

We then went back to the Escarpment Trail, past Layman's Monument, to Inspiration Point, which has a great view over the Kaaterskill Creek Valley, with Kaaterskill High Peak and Rount Top on the other side. From there the rest of them went back, but I continued on to Boulder Rock, and from there to the old Catskill House site, which has a great view over the Hudson River Valley. The section from Boulder Rock to the Catskill House site was pretty steep, but I barely felt it in my kneecap.

From there the route was a little confusing, but I found my way to the lake, passing a rock monster on the way, and then hiked west along its shore and then hiked back to my car.

Here are the pictures for Saturday (Panther).
    Here are the pictures for Sunday (Escarpment Trail).

--

Cumulus

NE111 in my 50s: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2)
    NE111 in my 60s: 56/115 (44/67, 11/46, 1/2)
    NEFF: 50/50; Cat35: 39/39; WNH4K: 40/48; NEHH 89/100
    LT NB 2009; CT NB 2017

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
    "Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
    - Lewis Carroll

Nice pictures and trip! Glad everyone made out ok with the ice.
    And because of all their tears
    Their eyes can't hope to see
    The beauty that surrounds them
    Isn't it a pity
    -George Harrison

Comment

the traverse is always nicer than an in and out. as for the knee, welcome to the club! I always carry a brace for the down hill section.

Comment

Maybe the putting on and taking off of microspikes, while I applaud you for it, tweaked your knee. Of course the extra traction can tweak, too. I went to Panther yesterday. It had snowed a bit on your condition. It was very slippery and I did not need spikes, not for one step. Lets not sugarcoat things. The hiking is very bad, for right now, if you like to have traction. I think the mountains would rather you tippy toe with your hokas. And its the only fun way to do it. Of course I even would not advocate that on the Devil's Path. Do not slide for a long distance and get your knee caught in the fork of a fir tree.

For those interested in crocheting, you could maybe pick up an F hook and a J hook, and some yarn. You don't have to hike, even if the list says you do. No spikes were harmed, or dirt, or rocks, in the making of this post.
        I might be kidding...

Comment

Working...
        X