Fir and Big Indian 12-12-2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fir and Big Indian 12-12-2017

Definitely a white knuckle drive to Biscuit Brook PA this morning. Used snowshoes right from the car. Big Indian had the most snow, probably 10 - 12 inches. My snowshoe muscles are out of shape, slow and tiring and exit after dark. Quadraceps were tight as a drum.

Saw that Catdacker had been there on Saturday.

I saw you drive by the jobsite at the base of Fir, it was snowing and blowing. I thought you would stop in with coffee. Today was howling, yesterdays snow is well consolidated.

Comment

Wish I knew it was you - had a full thermos in the car.

So I'm going to have the group carry showshoes from Moon Haw on Saturday. Expect that we'll be wearing them before we reach the rim trail and certainly between Friday and BC. Am I making the right call? Not that anyone would complain about carrying showshoes all day and not using them....

Comment

I knew you would have coffee. You can't go wrong in bringing them. And it is easier to wear them than carry IMO. Microspikes, which many consider the Catskill Norm anymore, just don't cut it when the snow is getting to this stage, I have heard a reliable tale of around 8''.

Comment

Mr. Magoo,

My buddy lost his knife on Balsam Cap today. He's pretty sure he dropped it by summit canister when we sharpened pencil. If you find it please let me know or PM me and I'll gladly reimburse you for postal costs. You mentioned your going from Moonhaw Rd. tomorrow......

Benchmade folding knife, forest green handle, SKVP etched on blade

We broke a track to both BC & Friday cans

Disclaimer: parts of our route might not always be the best option, we had some difficulties picking best path, stomped the hell out of Friday summit to find can, went smoother last time we did it maybe 6 years ago....

Thanks again
          Last edited by Nivek; 12-16-2017, 12:34 AM.
          Catskills: 39/39, 26W/35W
          ADK: 46/46

Comment

About 10" snow up high

Comment

Bummer, just reading your note after returning. We certainly could have dug around at the canister. Hope someone finds it and returns it...

Comment

No worries. Thanks Magoo

Comment

Working...
                X