20th Anniversary Hike

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20th Anniversary Hike

On 10/4/1997, my wife and I visited the Catskills for the first time. We climbed Twin and Sugarloaf the first day and Indian Head the second. Since we were going on a trip this week I realized I could do a hike on 10/4 for the 20th anniversary. I am pretty sure I have done at least one Catskills hike in each of the 20 years. I'm very sure I have met a lot of nice people and made some great friends.

Since I am more fit now than 20 years ago, I raised the bar to the four peaks of the Eastern Devil's Path from Indian Head to Rt 214. Without a late start from driving down, I would have done it all.

It was a nice fall day, a bit warm, but I made good time in spite of the dusty and leaf-covered rocks, finishing in under six hours. It was a great day to be in the woods.

I can't promise, but maybe I will be back for another 20 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice warm day in the Catskills, Maddy and I are hiking today. Under 6 hours is great time ! No doubt you will do it in under 6 in 2037 ! Keep on hiking .
    "You are never really alone in the mountains. Something is there ,and you will find it in yourself "
    Ralph Ryndak

Comment

Happy Anniversary! I was thinking about you guys yesterday with it being such a nice day. Safe travels the remainder of your trip and y'all come back again soon.

Comment

Joe where did you hike before the first Catskill hike?

A couple of good choices for starters.

Twin is my favorite. I climbed it the first time via the Dolan notch but not before climbing Indian Head. I poured over the guide book description and the map with it before choosing it over the Pecoy Notch. And that day I didn't go over to the higher Twin either. So, I had to go back later to get it for my 35r list and then went by Pecoy Notch. Now that is now my preferred route.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by Hear the Footsteps
          Joe where did you hike before the first Catskill hike?

A couple of good choices for starters.

Twin is my favorite. I climbed it the first time via the Dolan notch but not before climbing Indian Head. I poured over the guide book description and the map with it before choosing it over the Pecoy Notch. And that day I didn't go over to the higher Twin either. So, I had to go back later to get it for my 35r list and then went by Pecoy Notch. Now that is now my preferred route.

Don
          I have a 30th Anniversary of my first Adirondack High Peak hike coming up next year.

Comment

Joe, your first Catskill hike was on the 10 year anniversary of the biggest ever early snow event. The next day, if I remember correctly, was not above 20 degrees for a high. It was definitely an all out winter day that Saturday, which was the day after the snow storm. I always remember that October 4th, 1987, and October 5th! http://bangladeshtornadoes.org/UScas...87wetsnow.html
            I might be kidding...

Comment

• mudhook
              mudhook commented
              Editing a comment
              that was a great storm for attending a wedding. However the real question is if this cool spell has brought you(KC)out of hibernation? Its been a long hot dry summer.

• CatskillKev
              CatskillKev commented
              Editing a comment
              Rarin' to go. Makin' some adjustments to snowshoes...

Originally posted by CatskillKev
            Joe, your first Catskill hike was on the 10 year anniversary of the biggest ever early snow event. The next day, if I remember correctly, was not above 20 degrees for a high. It was definitely an all out winter day that Saturday, which was the day after the snow storm. I always remember that October 4th, 1987, and October 5th! http://bangladeshtornadoes.org/UScas...87wetsnow.html
            I remember that 1987 storm. I was living in Manlius, NY, at the time. In central NY the snow was much less withlittle accumulation and damage.

Comment

I remember there were people stranded in the deep snow wearing shorts and sneakers on Hunter Mountain. If I remember right, rangers headed up with gear to help the people out. I was up Peekamoose the following weekend and most of the snow was gone.
              And because of all their tears
              Their eyes can't hope to see
              The beauty that surrounds them
              Isn't it a pity
              -George Harrison

Comment

Working...
              X