Plateau, Sugarloaf, Twin Mountain Catskills, NY 5-20-17

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plateau, Sugarloaf, Twin Mountain Catskills, NY 5-20-17

This weekend I decided to do the loop of Plateau, Sugarloaf, and Twin from the Roaring Kill trailhead. The humidity was out of control and everything was fairly wet and slippery. The bugs weren't much of a nuisance, only got one bug bite all day. All in all it was a good day out.
    Total mileage 11.40miles, ~4200ft elevation, 6 hrs total

Full report and photos below!
    https://operationalaska30.com/2017/0...ls-ny-5-20-17/

Hi,
    I'm an occasional Cats hiker. The plank bog bridges are new to me. Nice to see the DEC is trying to improve things.
    Not much to the summit of Plateau is there?
    Dibbles Quarry. A favorite part of any trip.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by Hear the Footsteps View Post
      Hi,
      I'm an occasional Cats hiker. The plank bog bridges are new to me. Nice to see the DEC is trying to improve things.
      Not much to the summit of Plateau is there?
      Dibbles Quarry. A favorite part of any trip.

Don

Hey Don,

I hike there only occasionally as well. The true summit of Plateau was definitely uneventful, the hike up was the real highlight. There might be more interesting spots along the ridge but I didn't walk the whole thing so I couldnt say.

Comment

The far ends of Plateau are where the best views are, so if you go up from the 214 side, and walk all the way to the summit along the ridge, (and down a short pitch), you can see both view points. The summit of Plateau is typically considered to be the very small bump just East of where the trail makes a sharp turn (left if heading East, right if heading West). I've thrashed around a few times up there and found nothing higher.
        Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
        Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
        Past President Catskill 3500 Club
        CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

Comment

Nice hike! Thanks for sharing. Are you working on the Cat list? Completed? Just hike for fun? I'm about a 1/4 of the way through but not hurrying.
          Crepuscular Rays: Dissolve into evergreens

There's always gonna be another mountain
          I'm always gonna wanna make it move
          Always gonna be an uphill battle
          Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
          Ain't about how fast I get there
          Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side...
          It's the climb
          -Miley Cyrus

Comment

Originally posted by Crepuscular View Post
            Nice hike! Thanks for sharing. Are you working on the Cat list? Completed? Just hike for fun? I'm about a 1/4 of the way through but not hurrying.

I guess you can say I am working on it but its not really a priority. I figure I will finish them when I finish them. The Catskills are just considerably closer for me than anywhere else so its an easy way to experience some new peaks and places with single day trips. Although I have been doing a lot of them lately so who knows, I may finish faster than anticipated hah.

Comment

Working...
            X