Wittenberg and Cornell 4-29-2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wittenberg and Cornell 4-29-2017

Today I did something I've been meaning to do for some time. We cut off the ox bow section of trail with a short bushwhack. As you know, the trail from Woodland Valley Rd to Witt goes in a circuitous loop to reach the trail junction to the lean to. To cut off the loop, there's a short (0.2 mile) bushwhack uphill on a SSE course to intersect again with the trail just before it starts the steep that becomes the continuous set of scrambles. It shaved over a mile off the hike.

We cleaned up the litter at the crack, i.e., old undependable ropes that have been there all winter as TFR had recommended - "+1 on not trusting a random rope. I actually had a conversation with someone about this very rope a few days ago. I would recommend packing out any rope left in the mountains as garbage." Well, we did.

The weather was threatening but we never got a drop of rain. It stayed cool enough until we were down below 2000' and then it was uncomfortably hot. Lots of black flies as expected.

Lots of hikers out today (only a few less than the black flies)...

On Plateau Tuesday the trail was like a stream. Wet, wet, wet.

Comment

• Kitsune_Soba
      Kitsune_Soba commented
      Editing a comment
      After how dry it was last season, we're overdue for this.

Originally posted by MrMagoo View Post
    Today I did something I've been meaning to do for some time. We cut off the ox bow section of trail with a short bushwhack. As you know, the trail from Woodland Valley Rd to Witt goes in a circuitous loop to reach the trail junction to the lean to. To cut off the loop, there's a short (0.2 mile) bushwhack uphill on a SSE course to intersect again with the trail just before it starts the steep that becomes the continuous set of scrambles. It shaved over a mile off the hike.

We cleaned up the litter at the crack, i.e., old undependable ropes that have been there all winter as TFR had recommended - "+1 on not trusting a random rope. I actually had a conversation with someone about this very rope a few days ago. I would recommend packing out any rope left in the mountains as garbage." Well, we did.
    Thanks! It was just an accident waiting to happen. There are safe ways to go around the crack (climber's left) and using someone's discarded rope (why do you think it's there to start with?) is not one of them.

The whack back down is even easier, as it's almost impossible to miss the trail below you. Heading up, the trail bends to the climber's left, so you could be paralleling it. When I do this, I start where the descending trail takes a hard right, and aim 45 degrees down the slope. It's usually open woods and not too steep.
    Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

Comment

• MrMagoo
      MrMagoo commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, it was much easier than expected...

heading out to Burroughs Range in 2 weeks. Overnight stop off at primitive sites between Cornell and Slide. What are the odds I get some isolation at one of the primitive sites? Really hoping for a little solitude for this hike. I'm using a hammock so less pressure to be a clear site but much rather than trekking into the Bush. Thoughts?

Comment

• MrMagoo
      MrMagoo commented
      Editing a comment
      Most of the traffic was between Woodland Valley Rd and Wittenberg. Many didn't even go on to Cornell, especially those that hit the trail later in the day. I didn't ask everyone, but I think only one pair made the complete traverse.

Originally posted by EROCKLI View Post
    heading out to Burroughs Range in 2 weeks. Overnight stop off at primitive sites between Cornell and Slide. What are the odds I get some isolation at one of the primitive sites? Really hoping for a little solitude for this hike. I'm using a hammock so less pressure to be a clear site but much rather than trekking into the Bush. Thoughts? This will be may 20/21.
    A while ago, I recall seeing a rather small designated site on the north side of the trail (on your right if you're traveling from Wittenberg/Cornell towards Slide) in the col that was a bit tight and sloped for tents, but would probably be okay for hammocks. It's one of the first designated sites that you'll pass, so keep a close watch for the yellow "camp here" disk or you might miss it. Hope that you enjoy your hike!
    We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing ~ Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by debmonster
      A while ago, I recall seeing a rather small designated site on the north side of the trail (on your right if you're traveling from Wittenberg/Cornell towards Slide) in the col that was a bit tight and sloped for tents, but would probably be okay for hammocks. It's one of the first designated sites that you'll pass, so keep a close watch for the yellow "camp here" disk or you might miss it. Hope that you enjoy your hike!
      Thanks - I'll def look for it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone take this hike recently? How is the water source between Cornell and slide? Seeing there's usually a spring. And how about black flies??

Comment

The water source in the col should be running, given all the rain we've had. I'd filter it though. There is also one much higher up on the Slide side, and it is actually more reliable. I drink straight out of that one.
          Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
          Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
          Past President Catskill 3500 Club
          CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Trail in good shape this weekend. Gnats and flies out like crazy, if you stop moving they're all over.
              Limited water sources from what I could see until the Col. Took a detour to Terrace mt. Lean-to to decide if I should spend the night there and drop weight for the Wittenberg Cornell ascent. Very disappointed to see remnants of gear and a handle of vodka there. Not sure if kids we're partying overnight or if this was someone's home. Needless to say I left - really nothing worth walking down that trail. No views and that campsite wad super creepy.

Comment

Working...
              X