No announcement yet.

Traverse from Buscuit Brook to Ryder Hallow - Fir, BI, Eagle, Haynes & Balsam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traverse from Buscuit Brook to Ryder Hallow - Fir, BI, Eagle, Haynes & Balsam

After exploring numerous starting and ending points, we decided on a more longer option, but this one would keep us on the trails as much as possible. We met at Ryder Hallow, left one car there and drove to the Buscuit Brook trail head to start the hike. The trail up to the lean to was in great condition, only a little wet in spots. The brook crossing was fine. It started to drizzle pretty much as soon as we started the wack to Fir and the air was very humid and misty... it felt like walking through a cloud. As my bushwacks typically go, I found something (mylar baloons) and lost something (a small blue OR waterproof baggie... most likely by the cliffs near BI summit). So if anyone comes across it, please let me know

I had to change my layers on Fir as I was too stubborn and focused on getting to the summit to stop and put on my rain gear, and it didn't really feel like it was raining due to starting out in the misty fog... but my clothing was wet, all right, as my back immediately felt the extra weight, ha-ha. Rain stopped shortly thereafter, but all the shrubbery made sure we were continued to receive some moisture I was surprised at all herd paths found around the summits, and the one approaching Fir looked like a superhighway... the HP around the Catskill divide was also very prominent. We ran into 2 guys (who would be the only people we saw all day) near the summit of BI, and they were headed to Fir. Later I saw in the logbook that they didn't make it and retraced their steps to BI.

Anyways, once we were back on the blue trail (Pine Hill-West branch), apart from a minor detour back towards Biscuit Brook (totally were in the zone and didn't even realize that we were on the marked trail... I am guessing most traffic goes that way anyways), the rest of the hike was pretty uneventful. The trail was more wet in spots than at the start, and the last mile or so to the parking lot was definitely the messiest one. We warmed up pretty quickly, but throughout the day we made use of gloves, hats and multiple layers. The next 8 miles took less time than the 1st 5.5 miles We finally got a view off the Balsam viewpoint, which was a major bonus to an otherwise view-less hike. However, hiking now, with no leafs, really afforded great perspective of the surrounding mountains and ranges in the far off distance. The tree diversity is really incredible here. Wildflowers are coming up strongly, including the lovely trilliums.

these 4 peaks bring us to 28/39.

Question - if you are looking straight ahead from the Balsam viewpoint, there's a small hill in the center with what appears to be a myriad of woods roads. Anyone know the story?
    46/46 as of August 1st, 2014!

We did put our rain gear on at the first sprinkle, but somehow I was still wet through and through and colder than I should have been for a late April hike. It was actually a cold day at altitude, something the weatherman forgot to tell us. btw, I have no idea about your question, sorry...

Comment

• YanaLG
      YanaLG commented
      Editing a comment
      I am very glad for all the layers I brought with me yesterday, that's for sure. Just last Sunday we were roasting in tank tops; this was a change...I am glad we stayed sheltered all day from the winds...imagine it would've been less pleasant on open summits.

A nice report. The wildflowers are coming into season, the next couple of weeks will be spectacular.
    ​From the look out on Balsam you were looking at the ridge where the Bellayre project was once slated to start; condo's , hundreds of hotel units, single family shacks, multiple golf courses going the length of the ridge past Bellayre Ski, ending at Highmount SKi area. The State has bought much of this, but a scaled down version is still in the works. Somewhat of a victory, there should be more on the 3500 website under conservation issues. Get these wacks in soon, good bushwacking season will soon be over until next December.

Comment

• YanaLG
      YanaLG commented
      Editing a comment
      thank you!! this is great info, will look into this more. And, yes - our plan is to get most of the remaining bushwhacks now before the nettles and the pricklers make an appearance (we saw lots of the latter near BI yesterday, but thankfully it is too early). I love spring wildflowers, and so happy to be hiking now. last year's spring I was mostly out of town, and have missed it all :(
Working...
X