Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KPH 3-5-17 + Winter 3500 Finish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KPH 3-5-17 + Winter 3500 Finish

With a week and half off work I focused on finishing Catskill 3500 winter list and sprinkled in some ADK hikes and rest days.

I ended the holiday with KHP and finished my winter 3500 peaks.

During the holiday time I finished off Graham-Doubletop-BLM; did a quickie to Hadley (my home county fire tower); went back to tag Vly and Bearpen; then back during a warm weather stretch to the ADKs for Colden-Tabletop-Phelps; and then Macomb-Carson-Grace; and finally KHP. Except for the Bearpen half of climb it was winter like temperatures and firm snow.

Because of the warming temperatures I delayed KHP a couple days and was rewarded with winter like temperatures. On Sunday it was pretty cold but I started 8am much later than sun-up and went from the Gillespie Road PA. This route requires a short bushwhack to the snowmobile trail. I made it there a couple hundred yards from the loop junction. I found a long tree branch and set it up to a tree to mark the return.

After that I was walking the icy snowmobile trail past Round Top often in the full sun. Then turning to climb the steep trail to KHP. I'd only brought micro spikes and my new crampons. The new crampons came in handy because the trail was covered in water ice at the most difficult parts. Quickly I was on top, looked around for the USGS markers but they were buried under ice, then headed to the Hurricane Ledges. There was great sun and blue skies on that side of the mountain.

I decided to not backtrack but to continue toward the KPH Roundtop col and then drop down back to the snowmobile trail. Along the way I thought I was on a very good heard path more than half the time. When I finally hit a stand of conifers I decided it was time to head back to the snowmobile trail. The snow was packed and icy and required a careful descent. But soon I was at the snowmobile trail, at the tree branch I'd set up, and my vehicle.

Just two pictures https://flic.kr/s/aHskSLEBia

Don
    Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 03-08-2017, 05:31 PM.

Congrats on the grand finale, Don!

Comment

Congratulations! Always nice to finish on the fancy Catskill alternatively Dutch-spelled peak that used to be Roundtop.
    I might be kidding...

Comment

Congrats! Coming to the Dinner?
      Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
      Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
      Past President Catskill 3500 Club
      CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
        Hear the Footsteps commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I'm hoping to work the dinner into my schedule.
        Don

Congratulations, HTF
      Cats: 39/39, 26W/35W......ADK: 32/46

Comment

Congratulations Don!

Comment

Congrats Don ! I finished my winter round there too. I have a few nice memories of Hurricane with sun and blue skies as you describe. Such a great spot.

Comment

• NorthShore
        NorthShore commented
        Editing a comment
        Finished my regular 35 on KHP on a beautiful allegedly winter day. The ledge was fantastic that day. I'll formally finish my second round there too because for some reason I've only hiked KHP once.

• Hear the Footsteps
        Hear the Footsteps commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey I finished my regular round on KHP also. When I got down to the short list finishing on KHP made sense.

Don

Don - Congrats on the W35-finish! - I was wondering when you'd get away from the Adks to get the W done!

Comment

Originally posted by CatskillKev View Post
        Congratulations! Always nice to finish on the fancy Catskill alternatively Dutch-spelled peak that used to be Roundtop.
        I didn't know there was a former name. But then there is a lot about the Catskills I don't know. That is other than it is a fun place to hike.

Thanks very much.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by OnAClearDay View Post
          Don - Congrats on the W35-finish! - I was wondering when you'd get away from the Adks to get the W done!
          Thanks Peter,

I had been putting it off. Then one Sunday in January I was able to work in North Dome and Sherill on a wintery day. That got me going in the right direction and encouraged me to finish. All the days to finish were wintery this winter except the day I climbed Windham High Peak and crossed paths with people mountain biking.

Don

Comment

Working...
          X