Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 9

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LeftRightLeft View Post
    As I have said previously I am no speedster, in absolute terms, but as you surely know there is a serious joy to be had in spending a day out of breath in a beautiful place. There are many great ways to spend ones day and quads burning, sweat beading, breath speeding and eyes gleaming is definitely one of them.

You can definitely sit in the woods reverently when you're 30 but you might not be able to haul ass across the DP when you're 80. Push it while you can.

Besides, the idea that one cannot appreciate beauty while moving quickly is ridiculous and you really cannot move all that fast while on foot. Especially in the bushwhack range
    Exactly. The only people that have told me I shouldn't run are those that can't.
    "Going fast doesn't diminish the experience for some. It often seems it is only those that choose to go slow that think that it does."

-Rik

Comment

Great job Mike! I've been meaning to ask: how much time do you think you spent on navigation (read: pausing to think "where am I again")? Did you use a compass or GPS, or just remember your route really well from previous expeditions?
      ---------------
      http://QuixoticJedi.com
      \m/(>.<)\m/ Peakbagger.com Page

35R #1819/733W
      CHH: 46/102
      Grid: 254/420 (20/35 for July)
      ADK: 25/46

Sayings remain meaningless until they are embodied in habits.

Comment

I hiked the 9 on Monday, April 30th...... but it took me 14 hours ... It was my first time hiking the bushwhack range, and I wasted some time finding an optimal view between Friday and Balsam Cap, and some time at the absolutely spectacular "secret view" on Table. I started from the Slide Mountain parking area, hiking up the Ormsbee Trail first. Next time I'll start from Denning, but still hiking up Slide first to catch sunset from the glorious Table overlook- it's like the view at the summit of Peekamoose, only with a more north aspect, so the mountains are in full view.

Below is a picture of the view from between Balsam Cap and Friday. I'll take a picture of the view from Table and post it once I see it on a clear day. Every time I visit it, it's crappy and cloudy, Of course, 5 minutes after I left it, the sun came out on the mountains, but at that point I needed to keep hiking if I wanted to maintain daylight. One of these days... one of these days....

Comment

DUDE, youre nuts.
          "The lessons we learn from the wild become the etiquette of freedom." - Gary Snyder

Comment

Nice work! That view is spectacular huh?
            "Going fast doesn't diminish the experience for some. It often seems it is only those that choose to go slow that think that it does."

-Rik

Comment

Originally posted by niceguyted View Post
              Great job Mike! I've been meaning to ask: how much time do you think you spent on navigation (read: pausing to think "where am I again")? Did you use a compass or GPS, or just remember your route really well from previous expeditions?
              Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I'm still recovering just kidding, I just forgot.

I used a GPS the whole time. I checked it every few minutes on the descents, I don't really need it to show me which way is up. I had an old track to follow but it is pretty useless in there, you have to deal with the land in front of you regardless of where you were last time. I do have a fairly good memory of the area from being out there a few times but most of my hiking is in winter, so it looks a bit different without snow.

I spent about 2:45 on the bushwhack part even though it is only 5.75/19.6 miles!! This is where I can make up time if I do it again. Maybe chop 20 minutes if I do everything right. We'll see in the fall maybe.

-Rik

Comment

Working...
              X