Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mount Tremper 4/3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mount Tremper 4/3

The day started with a slight chill. Slowly the sun warm the air and the wind ceased. The hardwood and stones of the Catskill's have a special charm. I don't know what it is but for some reason I find them comforting.

The trail up Hoyt Hollow must have been an old road at sometime. The climb is steady but not overwhelming. Along the way some small cliff formations and nice stands of hemlock.

Once at the junction at the crest of the hollow the trail assumes the characteristics of many trails in the Catskill's, a slow steady rise to the summit area.

The Catskill's are so different than the Adirondack's. For one thing the trail, in this case, the Willow Trail, is not muddy. The trail is leaf covered and around 2500 feet there is still a slight covering of snow. It is a little over 7 miles RT and the firetower provides some nice views. The only shortcoming is parking, no trailhead site. One can use the post office. Very nice trail.
    What lies behind us, and what lies before us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nice report. I had to think for a moment where Hoyt Hollow was. Never started from there.

Tim
    Smile, things could be worse.

Comment

One other thing about Willow Trail, on the lower portion, the section right after you leave Jessup Rd., there is several areas with numerous Rhododendron-Azalea bushes. If you are into flowers. I remember down in Virginia on the AT how nice it was to walk through Rhododendron forest.
      What lies behind us, and what lies before us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
      X