Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The most current update is that "whoever wants to help" are invited to join a us to make a haul up to Adams on Saturday, August 24th. I'll be picking up wood early next week, cutting the treads and will have 41 2"x10"x24" stair treads at the trailhead that morning that we'll have to haul up.

Sounds like there are 5-6 of us, including at least one big time mule, so we'll haul up as much as we can. We'll stash it up top and then we'll be setting up another trip (hopefully in Aug) to head up and start retreading the tower (the steps that need it anyway).

We could sure use a few more bodies. each tread will likely be 2-3 lbs so if we can keep it each person to a reasonable load, it would be better. I suggest bringing some kind of "large" pack or at least some way to strap them on. I just plan on throwing my tread in a large overnight pack.

Getting them up there will be a big help that way we can start planning smaller parties to get up there and replace them without the worry of how they are going to get up there.

Hey Slammy, I'll PM you and give you me cell number to give to Mace. Have him call me about the wood.
    Last edited by Mavs00; 07-16-2010, 07:26 PM.
    "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

I will see you Saturday. What time do you want to meet?
      13/39 Cats 2W
      It all looks easy on the map.

Comment

Originally posted by Gmac39 View Post
        I will see you Saturday. What time do you want to meet?
        TBD right now...... Probably not real early.... I'll likely be there around 8:45-9 AM, but it's only about a 2 hour hike (taking it easy) up to the top, so there is no real huge hurry.

I'll let everyone know sometime in the next few days.

Comment

August 24th? Count me in. I am not a mule but according to the theory of evolution I share a common ancestor with mules.

I don't mind starting at 4am either.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavs00 View Post
            The most current update is that "whoever wants to help" are invited to join a us to make a haul up to Adams on Saturday, August 24th.
            Originally posted by Neil View Post
            August 24th? Count me in.
            Just to be clear, I assume the date is JULY 24, this coming weekend, and not sometime in August?

Dick
            "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while care will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir

Comment

Originally posted by Dick View Post
              Just to be clear, I assume the date is JULY 24, this coming weekend, and not sometime in August?

Dick
              Whoops! That changes things considerably, doesn't it?

I guess I won't be able to participate this time 'round.

Har dee har har, the 24th of August is a tuesday. I always have my pedicure on Tuesdays so there's been a mistake, eh?

Comment

You guys obviously are not used to working with the DEC. Aug 24 is a saturday... Aug 24, 2013.
                Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                  August 24th? Count me in. I am not a mule but according to the theory of evolution I share a common ancestor with mules.
                  I'm sure Sylvie's told you that many times over the years.

Recognizing you have a problem is the first step to recovery. I'm proud of you Neil.
                  Scooting here and there
                  Through the woods and up the peaks
                  Random Scoots awaits (DP)

Eat, sleep, hike, repeat.

It doesn't have to be viewtiful to be beautiful. (NL)

"Pushing the limits of easy."

Comment

Looks like I will be able to attend after all. Anything you need me to bring, besides my cheery disposition. Perhaps some type of feed for the mules. I was thinking apples and hay. Except for that one mule that will be making multiple trips. I have seen him eat we will definitely have to throw in a few carrots for him
                    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
                    Ed Viesturs

Comment

Originally posted by Dick View Post

Dick
                      Has this been addressed officially yet? My calendar is full for 2013.
                      "If a person never quit when the going got tough, they'd have nothing to regret for the rest of their lives." --Lance Armstrong, "Dodgeball"

Comment

Oooops, Not August............. July.

This Saturday is the date of the work party. SATURDAY, JULY 24, 2010.

No DEC involvement. Just a bunch of guys lugging lumber up the mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by NukedRocket View Post
                          Has this been addressed officially yet? My calendar is full for 2013.
                          Yes it is this weekend July 24 but seeing how we are working with government agencies I would "pencil in" Aug 24 2013 as well, couldn't hurt
                          "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
                          Ed Viesturs

Comment

Originally posted by ADKJack View Post
                            Yes it is this weekend July 24 but seeing how we are working with government agencies I would "pencil in" Aug 24 2013 as well, couldn't hurt
                            Aug 24 2013 is the DEC "rain date".

Comment

Originally posted by Mavs00 View Post
                              Aug 24 2013 is the DEC "rain date".
                              a.k.a. "2010 New York State budget deadline". Yup, I went there.
                              "If a person never quit when the going got tough, they'd have nothing to regret for the rest of their lives." --Lance Armstrong, "Dodgeball"

Comment

We'll be there

Mace and I are definite, haven't spoken to Ward, but I think he may be there as well. We'll be leaving from Speculator early Saturday morning.......not sure if anyone wants to meet us there Friday night? Mavs......Mace was calling you this morning with the Home Depot info........who is going to cut the steps to size? Something we could possibly do Friday night in Spec? L

Comment

Working...
                                X