This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mavs00 View Post
    I actually tried to go out an do a little hiking this weekend. I like to hike too

Maybe you should have been retired fat and old to run the forums and kinda use it as a pastime to wither away with your old age

I am glad you got out hiking so where is your trip reprt and what did you climb?
    OUTDOOR SHOTS

More hiking Pictures

EASY CHEESE and The Cheez Whiz 46/46 ADK
    Easy Cheese and Cheez Whiz 46/46 winter

EASY CHEESE and The Cheez Whiz 20/35 CATS

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Originally posted by 1ADAM12 View Post
      I just joined too through paypal. So why do I have the ribbon icon under my avatar and Bob does not if he has already paid?
      Cause you have the cheese Whiz!!!!!
      ADK 46-R #6750W
      CL-50 - #51
      CATSKILLS- 9/39
      NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

Originally posted by 1ADAM12 View Post
        Maybe you should have been retired fat and old to run the forums and kinda use it as a pastime to wither away with your old age

I am glad you got out hiking so where is your trip reprt and what did you climb?
        Haha, yes. I actually do hike. I coupled a little whacking with a reunion back home in Maine

Home for a few days, then back up to the Daks for a few days. Just off in some lonely woods somewhere, nothing exciting . btw Adam, where have you been? I never write reports anymore, unless I feel I have something unique to talk about. I also don't talk about what I hike or where I go either or lists or anything like that. It goes back several years. Nothing personal, but my value here is not my storytelling (thats Neil's job). I prefer to make myself useful in other ways.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some books and stuff to package and ship before I head back out on Wednesday.
        "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

Are you going up for the BBQ??? If so there is a few of us hiking the Trap Dike and then down the 1990 slide on Saturday the 8th if you and the family are interested.

Let me know and I did shoot you a PM if you got it. But I am sure you are to busy to answer to a pe-on like me

Take care,

Adam
          OUTDOOR SHOTS

More hiking Pictures

Comment

In and amongst some of the more "disagreeable" and "unpleasant" crap that had to be dealt with today. I had some very positive correspondence on the Mt. Adams front today with our DEC contact.

Our paperwork is gonna go in and we are "fo sho" adopting the tower (and trail to it) on an ongoing basis in the coming weeks. In the meantime, A DEC engineer will be sent up to the tower sometime this fall to do a final assessment of the tower work needed to be done. This winter, we'll make the necessary purchases and arrangements to have the work done in the Spring (weather permitting).

As a special bonus, in honor our our adopting the tower, the DEC will sometime in the future be rerouting the trail so that it is more environmentally friendly then the old one. It will be officially named "Neil's Miracle Mile". Okay, only some of that is true .

Bottom line, I've been asked to let you know that the trail will eventually be re-routed by the DEC, so when you use the old one, and you come across impediments or brushing in, do only the minumum to keep the path open and follow-able.

We'll be setting up a Tower Adoption Committee in the foundation soon to focus on this important project. If you are interested in becoming involved. 1) JOIN the foundation (if not already a member), and 2) Let me know via PM.

Oh yeah...............

The foundation membership has picked the second "target" of our fundraising efforts. I think you'll like it , but more on that later.

Comment

Originally posted by Peakbagr
              I need to put something together for the ADK on the tower project. Can you pull together some bullet points about your interaction with DEC and Kris and I can write something about what led up to it? Once combined I can run it by folks for critique and see about a press release, and/or article in Adirondac magazine. Do we wait until its 'official' and do we recognize whoever did the first restoration? Does Kris know the particulars of that? Who, What, When, Where and How?
              Yes, it's official, I (we) are working with Kris. The details are for the back-channel, but are essentially,

We (a group of us ) talked about this based on a recent post and made inquires that indicated that the tower was broken and would not be reopened. We stepped in and decided to "adopt" it using the official DEC "Adopt a natural resource" (AANR) program.

Kris went through his channels and cleared it (OSI and DEC), and wahlah "It happened". We have a few "tentative" estimates as to the cost (all well under our budget), and we will administer is through the foundation (a committee). The specifics will really be decided by the committee as to how in depth we go with our adoption. The sky is really the limit at this point.

Comment

Can Kris provide you any info/details on the first restoration a couple of years ago? Don't want those folks complaining that we overlooked how they saved the tower.

Alan
                Ummmm, the DEC kicked in a few bucks from their already exhausted budget to get the tower up and open. Mother nature said, "No thanks, I'll wait for someone that will wooo me, wine me, treat me like a queen and make me young again.

That would be us.

Let the article fly.

Comment

I am so looking forward to working on this project. Will this start to happen this year???? If so when????
                  OUTDOOR SHOTS

More hiking Pictures

Comment

I need to put something together for the ADK on the tower project. Can you pull together some bullet points about your interaction with DEC and Kris and I can write something about what led up to it? Once combined I can run it by folks for critique and see about a press release, and/or article in Adirondac magazine. Do we wait until its 'official' and do we recognize whoever did the first restoration? Does Kris know the particulars of that? Who, What, When, Where and How?
                    Allen-
                    This is a proactive move that is commendable.I,too,would like to see results of project and share with ''Readers Page'' in our paper. We are moving forward! Looncry

Comment

Good show, Tim. I'd like to help with the work.
                      "It's a beautiful day!" - Fellow hiker Shin Murnane's (5785W) last words at Marcy Dam 3/28/09
                      46er #5357W
                      Check out my "MOUNTAIN BLOG" http://bvanhise.blogspot.com/ AND ALGonquin Bob's Paddle Guide

Comment

I too Would like to help on this project, keep me in the loop...
                        ADK 46-R #6750W
                        CL-50 - #51
                        CATSKILLS- 9/39
                        NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

Is the restoration work done?Any further trips to Mt.Adams firetower? Looncry

Comment

Bump

Just saw on one of the other (Adams) threads there's another offering help, and has experience climbing towers. Sweet. I talked to Brian (Mace) and he is pretty sure that we have a "sponsor" to donate the wood, bolts, concrete, etc. He has a close contact at Home Depot. He has forwarded them the not for profit info, and it appears to be a go. Unfortunately, we haven't heard anything back from the DEC. Assuming this is still going to move forward, we need to get a material list together so we can provide it to Home Depot.
                            So, should we attempt to contact DEC again? Any way to find out what we can do to speed up the process? L (looks like I'll just have to paddle this weekend ;-) L

Comment

Squeeky wheel gets the grease?
                              If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

Comment

Yeay, its a GO

We have finally heard back from the DEC Engineers. They have reviewed our concerns about the footers and determined that the damage is not a structural issue (although we may need to do some cosmetic work). The tower is "deemed" salvageable.

We now have the "go ahead" to start doing our work. We need to schedule a weekend this summer (after the bugs) to haul up some wood (for planking) and some other minor material to work on replacing the stair. More to come n that, but we plan on setting that up in the coming days.

We will go ahead and put our order in for the fabrication of the roof panels. We may have to wait to fall to get them airlifted up to the site. There are significant restrictions on flights into the HP wilderness and ONLY the DEC can arrange for them. They are broke, as they get raped in the last budget cuts, but fortunately they are partnering with us on this project and are enthusiastic about is as much as we are. We are hoping to be piggy-backed onto the Lake Colden Station resupply, which must take place this fall (the fly period is between Sept. 15 and Sept 30.

So YES, this project is VERY much alive. We are just dependent on outside forces. Fortunately, the DEC is prioritizing this project, and will be facilitating our ability to make it happen.

Thanks all for your patience.

Comment

Working...
                                X