Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mt. Adams Firetower Restoration Project: ongoing

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mt. Adams Firetower Restoration Project: ongoing

We did it. We have partnered with the DEC and Adirondack Fire Tower Association (AFTA) to restore (and keep open) the firetower on Mt. Adams.

We will adopt the tower, and the trail leading from the observers cabin to the tower. That is one of the fundraising target for the Foundation this year. Very tangible, and very real.

Our first task? If anyone finds themselves, in the area, in the next couple weeks. take a jaunt up the trail and see what kind of shape it's in. The trail that is. Any significant blowdown? other issues? Send me a PM if you'd be willing to do it.

Of course, if you've been up it recently (this summer), go ahead and send me a PM too. That should suffice.

We'll update this thread as stuff happens with this project.
    Last edited by Mavs00; 07-28-2009, 08:47 AM.
    "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Excellent. The view from that tower is the most spectacular in the state. Congrats on the good cause.
    "It's a beautiful day!" - Fellow hiker Shin Murnane's (5785W) last words at Marcy Dam 3/28/09
    46er #5357W
    Check out my "MOUNTAIN BLOG" http://bvanhise.blogspot.com/ AND ALGonquin Bob's Paddle Guide

Comment

Awesome!
      "If a person never quit when the going got tough, they'd have nothing to regret for the rest of their lives." --Lance Armstrong, "Dodgeball"

Comment

Originally posted by Rik
        Let me know when we can start hauling supplies up to the tower. I need some exercise. Starting to feel fat.
        Ha! You have NO idea.
        Scooting here and there
        Through the woods and up the peaks
        Random Scoots awaits (DP)

Eat, sleep, hike, repeat.

It doesn't have to be viewtiful to be beautiful. (NL)

"Pushing the limits of easy."

Comment

Where is Mt.Adams?[I'm thinking of the 12,000 footer?!!] But ,in reference to Lake Placid? Tnx in advance Looncry

Comment

trail to Allen

Originally posted by looncry View Post
            Where is Mt.Adams?[I'm thinking of the 12,000 footer?!!] But ,in reference to Lake Placid? Tnx in advance Looncry
            Along the trail to Allen.
            MG

Comment

Mt. Adams 7/17/09

I hiked Mt. Adams last Friday. Trail was in great shape, it was a little wet and slippery, but that is just due to all the rain, not much mud at all.

The tower isn't in bad shape. The first landing has a loose board, all steps were in good shape, we climbed up to the top. Needs wire fencing around the steps and landings. All steps and landings are solid. Railing on the last flight of steps needs to be secured. The major work is with the cab and it needs a roof.

Cindy
              Snickers
              I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
              -Maya Angelou

Comment

This is a highly significant step in the progression of the Adirondack hiking boards.

What started out for Mavs and I and many others here as a place to shoot the breeze about the Adirondacks, yuck it up, meet partners and swap tales of hikes, paddles and the big one that got away is continuing to evolve.

Now this forum is owned and administered by a not-for-profit foundation whose goal is to raise and distribute funds for projects within the forest preserve.

The fire towers, as far as I understand them, are a link to the Park's history and in the present and future, a tourist/hiker attraction for the town's that are lucky enough to have one.

Refurbishing the Adam's firetower will require manpower and money.

Our belief is that the forums ie. you and me, are a grass roots, user-based means of giving back to the region we all love. As a result, in order to reach this goal (and put some money where our mouth is) we are running a fund raising drive and expect both this and ADKForum to show their generosity.

How can you participate? Let me count the ways.
                1. Become a member of the foundation for $9.99.
                2. Buy calendars.
                3. Buy a book.
                4. Make a donation.
                5. Fuel your next adventure with Hawk's Vittles. 10% of August's sales are going to the foundation.
                6. Get sponsored for a personal Adirondack related outdoors activity. (watch for a new thread and downloadable sponsorship form within the next few days).

On your mark, get set........
                Last edited by Neil; 07-24-2009, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                  This is a highly significant step in the progression of the Adirondack hiking boards.

What started out for Mavs and I and many others here as a place to shoot the breeze about the Adirondacks, yuck it up, meet partners and swap tales of hikes, paddles and the big one that got away is continuing to evolve.

Now this forum is owned and administered by a not-for-profit foundation whose goal is to raise and distribute funds for projects within the forest preserve.

The fire towers, as far as I understand them, are a link to the Park's history and in the present and future, a tourist/hiker attraction for the town's that are lucky enough to have one.

Refurbishing the Adam's firetower will require manpower and money.

Our belief is that the forums ie. you and me, are a grass roots, user-based means of giving back to the region we all love. As a result, in order to reach this goal (and put some money where our mouth is) we are running a fund raising drive and expect both this and ADKForum to show their generosity.

How can you participate? Let me count the ways.
                  1. Become a member of the foundation for $9.99.
                  2. Buy calendars.
                  3. Buy a book.
                  4. Make a donation.
                  5. Get sponsored for a personal Adirondack related outdoors activity. (watch for a new thread and downloadable sponsorship form within the next few days).

On your mark, get set........
                  Right on! The Forum ''walks'' with us,and we ''walk'' [or run,Dax] the trails-giving back doesn't hurt us after all Looncry

Comment

I joined.... sales tax on a membership?!
                    "It's a beautiful day!" - Fellow hiker Shin Murnane's (5785W) last words at Marcy Dam 3/28/09
                    46er #5357W
                    Check out my "MOUNTAIN BLOG" http://bvanhise.blogspot.com/ AND ALGonquin Bob's Paddle Guide

Comment

Originally posted by ALGonquin Bob View Post
                      I joined.... sales tax on a membership?!
                      I saw that........ no there is no tax on it. We'll send you the refund. For sure the state doesn't get it. There is no tax on it (it's essentually a donation, cept we give you beni's ).

I have to figure out why that happened. I'm in the mountains this weekend, so I'll do it when I get home. You're the only one that it happened to. Did you use the forum subscription? how did you join?

Comment

I joined through the "Become a member" link in Neil's post #9.
                        46er #5357W

Comment

I just joined too through paypal. So why do I have the ribbon icon under my avatar and Bob does not if he has already paid?
                          OUTDOOR SHOTS

More hiking Pictures

EASY CHEESE and The Cheez Whiz 46/46 ADK
                          Easy Cheese and Cheez Whiz 46/46 winter

EASY CHEESE and The Cheez Whiz 20/35 CATS

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Originally posted by 1ADAM12 View Post
                            I just joined too through paypal. So why do I have the ribbon icon under my avatar and Bob does not if he has already paid?
                            Because you paid through the "forum subscriptions" and Bob paid through pay pal direct (which is generally reserved for non-members). When you do it on the forums, it automatically cascades permissions that put the ribbon there and also open forums. When you pay the other way, it does not, and I have to manually add you. Which I am going to do for Bob now.

Generally, I try to manually enter people within a few hours if I can, but I actually tried to go out an do a little hiking this weekend. I like to hike too

The best instructions on how to join are found -HERE-. Doing it through the forum is certainly the best (but we'll work it out either way).
                            Last edited by Mavs00; 07-26-2009, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks Tim, good to hear you have time to go hiking. I just got back from kayaking in your "neighborhood" by Chimney Bluffs, and I still want my "W" rocker under that little 46er symbol thingie!
                              46er #5357W

Comment

Working...
                              X