Fencing Problem March 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fencing Problem March 2017

FENCING HAS BEEN BLOWN OFF TOP LANDING ON THE MT. ADAMS TOWER.
    PLEASE DO NOT GO PAST THE THIRD LANDING.

Thanks to John Sasso who did a mid winter recon trip to the tower yesterday 3/4 and provided these photos.
    John did not go to the cab because of high winds, ice and exposure and felt it was not safe to do so. Which is definitely the right thing to do. One slip coming down the stairs from the cab could be fatal as there is nothing to prevent one from sliding right off the landing.
    There is no ETA on when this will be repaired.
    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
    Ed Viesturs

Originally posted by ADKJack
    FENCING HAS BEEN BLOWN OFF TOP LANDING ON THE MT. ADAMS TOWER.
    PLEASE DO NOT GO PAST THE THIRD LANDING.

Thanks to John Sasso who did a mid winter recon trip to the tower yesterday 3/4 and provided these photos.
    John did not go to the cab because of high winds, ice and exposure and felt it was not safe to do so. Which is definitely the right thing to do. One slip coming down the stairs from the cab could be fatal as there is nothing to prevent one from sliding right off the landing.
    There is no ETA on when this will be repaired.
    I just got the bulletin from the DEC. This forum did great work on mount Adams and if there is a need for help repairing the fire tower I'd love to lend a hand if I can. I need to start putting the money where my mouth is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• ADKJack
      ADKJack commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I tried to get the word out as soon as possible and reached out to the DEC and requested the post it with the updates.
      Right now the soonest I can get up there with some replacement fence would be the Sunday March 19th after the Gathering that Saturday.

I am looking at Saturday May 13th as the day to do the spring trail and tower maintenance.
    Work usually includes some trail cleanup including removing dead fall. The tower work will be replacing the fencing that came down, re-tying loose fence, touch up painting on cab.
    If interested please let me know in advance.
    Thanks
    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
    Ed Viesturs

Comment

A huge thank you to Kenmore who even after I cancelled the trip due to weather decided to head up anyway. It is this type of commitment from folks like Ken that has made this project so gratifying over the years.
      Ken has replaced the fencing, removed blow down and did some general maintenance.

BIG THANK YOU TO KENMORE
      Ed Viesturs

Comment

Way to go Kenmore!!!! THANK YOU!!!! I hope you got dry and warm quickly after your outing!

Comment

Many thanks for the nice words. To be honest, it was a bit of luck and a pressing need on my part to spend a few hours on a "walk in the woods". A busy schedule for the next few weeks meant I wouldn't get another chance to go for a hike for a while so I decided to head down Friday night and see what I could find (somewhere), even if Jack had canceled the work day. When I woke up, the weather forecast suggested I might have a brief window to get up (and maybe down) Adams before the rains arrived so I decided to go for it. A few sprinkles on top but the real rain held off until I arrived back at the car - so a lucky day indeed and time well spent in the forest.

Comment

Working...
          X