Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goodnow - next Mt. Adams?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodnow - next Mt. Adams?

Lovely hike up Goodnow Mt. on Sunday, July 24. Clouded in early, so I waited for the sun to burn it off.
    Wonderful 360 degree panorama of why we hike!
    I always go early to beat the crowds- and there they were as I descended!

Had the summit alone for 45 glorious minutes!

Adams looking like the next one!

Any pointers in advance (looking mid-August)?
    ADK 46 : 23/46
    Saranac 6er # 806
    ADK Firetower Challenge: 14/23
    Catskill 3500: 9/35
    "I once was lost...but now I'm lost and found"

Adams is a great hike. One of the top views in the Adirondacks in my opinion but you have to climb the tower to get it. Fairly steep... something like 1700 feet of elevation gain over a mile and a quarter or so from where the climb starts near the cabins. Make sure you stop in the observer's cabin as well. There are a few small displays on the wall inside and you can poke around the cabin. Worth a brief visit.

Comment

We thoroughly enjoyed Adams. Beautiful hike and view from the tower is outstanding. The bench at the base of the tower is a nice tough. I think it took us 1-1/2 hours to get to the top but we are pokey hikers. We did it in the fall.
      Enjoy it - lots of folks on this forum worked hard to restore it and the love shows!
      Moo
      HPHikingmoo

Comment

I'm heading up this Saturday but can tell you from being up there a time or two on a clear day the view from the tower is worth the effort. Like many tower trails this one is steep. There is 1,800' of ele gain with 1,000 of it in the last half mile.
        Some of us have named certain sections of the trail based on terrain. They are 200' of paradise, 100' of paradise and heartbreak corner. See if you can recognize them along the way. And when you reach the section with a cliff wall on the left and a slanted slab you can stay tight to the wall if it is dry.
        "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
        Ed Viesturs

Comment

Thanks for the great reviews--I look forward to punishing my aging body in the quest of a great view!

I am a bit confused about directions to the TH.. Any and all help would be appreciated. i am driving up overnight from central NJ via I-87.
          ADK 46 : 23/46
          Saranac 6er # 806
          ADK Firetower Challenge: 14/23
          Catskill 3500: 9/35
          "I once was lost...but now I'm lost and found"

Comment

TH for Adams is the same as Allen, also known as the East River trail (to Hanging Spear Falls and Marcy). It's on the Tahawus Rd about a mile before the Upper Works TH.
            Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
            2nd round: 16
            SL6r #596
            Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

MTVhike nailed it: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/44.08121/-74.05524

Paste these coordinates into Google/Bing Maps and use it to create a route from your home to the parking area.
              44.08121, -74.05524
              Looking for Views!

Comment

Working...
              X