Saturday May 9th, Maintenance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday May 9th, Maintenance

Time to do the spring maintenance. Probably some painting, fence tie back and repair, and light trail work.
    Could use a few strong woman, or men I suppose
    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
    Ed Viesturs

Sign me up.
    (maybe not strong but persistent...)

Comment

Thanks Ken!
      The party is just starting. Who else wants to get in on the fun🎉
      "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
      Ed Viesturs

Comment

Might have to be an early start to avoid being on the tower during thunderstorms Maybe get the tower work done first and use the rain for trail clearing on the way down.
        Ed Viesturs

Comment

Keep us in mind for future ones; I am running a 12 hr. Ultra on Saturday. Good luck with the rains.
          HPHikingmoo

Comment

Latest forecast is looking a lot better !
            Getting an early start at 7:00 for anyone that still may be interested
            Ed Viesturs

Comment

Originally posted by HPHikingMoo View Post
              Keep us in mind for future ones; I am running a 12 hr. Ultra on Saturday. Good luck with the rains.
              Way to go Moo - how are you and the Fam doing?
              Enjoying the journey with my favorite hiking partner.
              Please visit ADKGurl's Blog: 46-High-Peaks

Comment

• HPHikingMoo
                HPHikingMoo commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey Dacker Dan. All is well in Mooland. Son #2 gets married in a month. The ultra went well - 34 miles - not bad for an old lady!
                We will have to hike together soon.

Stop me if you've heard this one. An American a Candian and his 'hoe walk into the woods......😈

Kenmore arrived at the trailhead precisely at the prearranged time of 7:00 to assist in the spring maintenance run (walk, crawl) up Adams. As we sorted out the assortment of tools and other implements of destruction needed to complete the task the normally mild mannered Kenmore says " I think I will put the ho to work. Immediately taken aback I glanced at his vehicle in search of another occupant only to discover he was referring to the long handled hoe he would bring to help open drainage system and construct some new water bars.
              The plan was to head straight to the tower first and get the normal repairs done with the hope of avoiding thunderstorms that never materialized. Ken did the painting while I tied back the fencing that usually becomes loose from the snow, ice and winds over the winter.
              Even though it was a little hazy the view at the top and lack of deer flies that were starting to accumulate at the base made it the perfect place to have some lunch, or second breakfast. The tower work went quickly and it was time to head back down and do some trail work.
              Ken had put the hoe to some light work on our way up to open some of the blocked drainage system that Top of Gothics and I had trencher out last fall. Now it was time to do some real work and try to get more of the water directed away from the trail.
              Although the trail is still rather treacherous towards the top perhaps the chance of dry rock will keep folks from widening the trail more than italready has.
              We cleared a few decent sized dead falls and minor sidcutting as it appeared the someone recently had come ahead of us and trimmed the majority of it.
              It was interesting to look at the log and see that the tower had averaged over thirty people a month since January! Just a few years ago the average was less than ten visitors for the entire winter. I guess that winter fire tower challenge has been taken in earnest by some diehards.
              It was also nice to see that despite the numbers there was virtually no graffiti etched into the cab, thank you and only the remains of a illegal fire at the base was the only disappointment.
              The plexiglass that covered the map on the map table had shattered and half was missing so I decided to remove the remainder and the quad map that was in the center. It is my hope that people do not destroy the 1921 panoramic map before I have the opportunity to replace the plexiglass.
              Another great workday with Ken who has the biggest number of trips and hours on this project since its inception. Without the assistance from him and all the other volunteers the restoration would not have gone as well as it has. It is something we all can be proud of!
              Ed Viesturs

Comment

Thanks so much to Jack and Kenmore!!!!

Comment

Another nice hike to Adams on a beautiful spring day (that felt a lot more like summer by the time we got down). Jack and I made short work of the tower maintenance which left us more time to enjoy the views as we ate lunch in the cab. The trail work wasn't too demanding as we made our way down. Only a few trees to clear and some work trying to move some of the running water off the trail where we could. And let me tell you, the potential for jokes about putting my "hoe" to work were almost limitless!! A good and productive trip up the mountain. The Adams spring hike is always a reminder to me how different (harder?) summer hiking is to winter snowshoeing... and how much work I need to do to get ready for the upcoming season, so its always an enjoyable walk.

Posted a few pictures here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/790958...57650305938104

After Jack left, I took some time to walk around Adirondac - a little deeper into the woods than just the buildings by the road at Upper Works - and enjoyed looking back into the history there. Finally I started to head home and was "greeted" by a floatilla of fire trucks and other emergency vehicles screaming out of Newcomb (and coming from Minerva and Long Lake). Probably saw 30 vehicles hurtling past me as I drove away. Found a snippet about a fire which I hope wasn't too serious... Another reminder to thank the volunteer fire crews who give of their time in these kinds of emergencies.
                  A wild fire destroyed a camp on Saturday afternoon, and numerous departments rushed to fight the blaze.

Comment

Thanks guys and gals, the tower provides some of the best views in the mountains. Was there on Saturday the 13th.

Comment

Working...
                    X