Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014 Tower and Trail Maintenance.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Tower and Trail Maintenance.

Hopefully all the heavy lifting is completed and just minor touch up work for the foreseeable future.

IMPORTANT
    Under the new stewardship agreement with the DEC there is a new form that must be completed before any work is started by any volunteers. Even if you have been one great people who have volunteered before. So if you would like to help out on any of the projects this summer please let me know and I will send you the form.

May 25 (Sunday of Memorial Day W/E)

First trip of the year, Sweep trail and clear blow down , touch up painting and fix any fenceing that may have dislodged over the winter.

Future dates will be dependent on what we find.

Thanks in advance
    Jack
    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
    Ed Viesturs

thanks for maintaining the tower and the trail! we were there about 4 weeks ago, I think there was only 1 tree blocking the trail that could've been recent blowdown. We loved the map table in the cabin - it is a great resource.
    46/46 as of August 1st, 2014!

Comment

Kenmore did a scouting trip last weekend and sent me a very detailed report of the status of the trail and tower. The good news is nothing out of the norm, a few blowowns, some paint, fence work and some bog bridging .
      A crew of three or four could tackle all the tasks.

If you would like to help please let me know, I need to get some paperwork to the DEC prior to starting the work on Sunday May 25

Thanks
      "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
      Ed Viesturs

Comment

Originally posted by ADKJack View Post
        Kenmore did a scouting trip last weekend and sent me a very detailed report of the status of the trail and tower. The good news is nothing out of the norm, a few blowowns, some paint, fence work and some bog bridging .
        A crew of three or four could tackle all the tasks.

If you would like to help please let me know, I need to get some paperwork to the DEC prior to starting the work on Sunday May 25

Thanks
        Could you give some estimation of the date that you are looking to go up?
        High peaks: Summer: 46/46 (1st iteration); 26/46 (2nd); 8/46 (3rd); 3/46 (4th) Winter: 7/46 (1st); 0/46 (2nd) The other 56: Summer: 48/56(1st); 10/56(2nd); 3/56(3rd); 3/56(4th) Winter: 13/56(1st); 2/56(2nd); 1/56(3rd); 4th (0/56)

Comment

Originally posted by TBPDPTI View Post
          Could you give some estimation of the date that you are looking to go up?
          Ummm ....May 25th
          Ed Viesturs

Comment

Let me know if you need the Moo Saw. We can't make it as my niece is graduating in Pennsylvania that weekend and we will be there, but our saw could make the trip if you need it!
            HPHikingmoo

Comment

I didn't see anything big enough that would suggest the big saw for this trip. Unless Jack has other plans, I don't think it will be needed... but the offer is I'm sure - as always - very much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by ADKJack View Post
                Ummm ....May 25th
                Dirrr....I had meant to say which "dates", not "date"....as in, I wasn't certain as to whether or not this would all be one on day.

C'mon now, you don't really think I'd be THAT incompetent (although that's not beyond the realm of possibility).
                High peaks: Summer: 46/46 (1st iteration); 26/46 (2nd); 8/46 (3rd); 3/46 (4th) Winter: 7/46 (1st); 0/46 (2nd) The other 56: Summer: 48/56(1st); 10/56(2nd); 3/56(3rd); 3/56(4th) Winter: 13/56(1st); 2/56(2nd); 1/56(3rd); 4th (0/56)

Comment

Great Day 5/25

I had planned on today being a two man work day as Longaker had decided to lend a hand. On Saturday night T-Max informed me that she and TopofGpothis would be joining the party
                  So we spent the morning cutting, lopping, digging, placing rocks and all kind of fun things as we made our way to the summit. Once there we assembled in the cab to take in the scenery and then I started doing the touch up painting as Longlaker, T-max and TopofGothics started reattaching and tying the sections of fence that had come loose over the winter and placing metal ties alongside the remaining zip ties that have had a very high failure rate.
                  By 3:00 it was mission accomplished and back down we headed. Unlike the day before the blackflys were out today but not biting (well maybe a nibble here and there ) I suspect that it will start to get intense this week.
                  I was so very happy to meet Jim (longlaker) and not kill him with hauling a bunch of heavy stuff as he was a huge help, and wants to do more.
                  Also that T-Max and TopoofGothics lent a hand knowing fully that they had plenty of projects to do around the Hostel today but chose to let them go another day to help us out.
                  As always none of this would have ever come together if not for the generosity of our forum members.
                  Thanks again to all
                  Ed Viesturs

Comment

It was a great day! Thanks for letting us tag along Jack. You have done an amazing job spearheading the Mt. Adams project. Thank you so much!

Photos from the day here.
                    Going where the wind don't blow so strange
                    Maybe off on some high cold mountain range.
                    Robert Hunter

www.tmax-n-topo.com

Comment

Blue skies. Spectacular views. Great company.
                      Thanks Jack and Tmax and TopofGothics. I had a great day!

Comment

Fall Maintenance.....Done!

So I took the little walk up to the fire tower today and found the trail to be in good condition with just a minimal amount of trimming required. Cleaned and covered the most recent set of initials from a group of four written in sharpie on the roof panel (why people feel it is necessary to leave their mark on some place they will probably never visit again is beyond me )from earlier this month. Did some touch up paint on the window frames and painted some of the rails were there was some surface rust.
                        Met a couple while I was up there and gave them the history and another two gentlemen Dan and Don on the way down as they were just getting to the last half mile. I talked with them a while to give them a nice little break before climbing that last 1,000 feet
                        We are set for the winter as far as I can tell.
                        Easiest Year ever

Parking lot was full and overflow parked at the Furnace as I counted 48 people heading to Allen today including the Family Moo!
                        Ed Viesturs

Comment

Working...
                        X