No announcement yet.

2012 Work Schedule on Mt. Adams Tower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice drop in temperature made it an ideal day for a hike. I decided I needed some "training" as I haven't been doing enough hiking this summer so I decided to go to Mt Adams. Good hike and I could get some "resistance work" in by hauling some concrete up with me. Looks like some work is being done on the Hudson bridge... but still a long way to go so the ford is still in order. Equally looks like a little work has gone into the Lake Jimmy bridge... but just a little. It seems passable now as a few pieces have been screwed together to make a semi solid platform. It's still pretty rickety so some care is needed when crossing the first couple of sections but I got across pretty much dry.

At the warden's hut I found the sack of concrete. Subdivided it in half. Unfortunately the garbage bags I brought (even doubled up) looked too flimsy to survive a trip so I took what was in the remains of the paper/contractor grade bag up with me and left the remains (+/- 40lbs) in my garbage bags in the wardens shed. Anyone wanting to take up the remainder should bring some sturdy garbage bags to put mine inside for secure haulage.

The hike up the mountain was slower than usual. Nothing weighs you down like a sack of rocks more than... well a sack of rocks! That said, with many breaks to ease the heart rate, I summited in reasonable time. Deposited my load and then "floated" back up the tower for a view. Hike down was speedy and I lucked in to meeting a couple of folks who are doing repair work on the wardens cabin down below. They have a full crew coming in on Tues/Wed to reshingle the cabin so it should be watertight by weeks end. Nice to chat with them and trade information on our two projects. They were just about done with their prep work and had driven in from the mine site (with permission) so they graciously let me ride in the back of the truck on the way out and played tour guide so I got a little extra local history out of the deal - Score!. Very nice to meet them and many thanks for showing me the sights.

I posted up some pictures HERE
    Last edited by Kenmore; 08-07-2012, 02:48 PM.

Comment

nice SCore...
      ADK 46-R #6750W
      CL-50 - #51
      CATSKILLS- 9/39
      NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

Mixing and Pouring

This Saturday 8/25 Need a group to help transport water to mix with the cement so we can repair a footing on the tower. Last strenous job for this year, can use all the help we can get. No experience required, just a willingness to carry a few gallons of water.
        "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
        Ed Viesturs

Comment

Mixing and Pouring

So you are looking for camels instead of mules this time?

I'll sign up either way. And I'm not even gonna enter into the discussion about the difference between cement and concrete... Long/slow hike to the summit means plenty of time for that discussion

Comment

Originally posted by Kenmore View Post
            So you are looking for camels instead of mules this time?

I'll sign up either way. And I'm not even gonna enter into the discussion about the difference between cement and concrete... Long/slow hike to the summit means plenty of time for that discussion
            Yup Camels will work fine as long as you do not intend on carrying the water internaly
            Cement and Concrete starts as one ends as another... symantecs jeez
            "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
            Ed Viesturs

Comment

Stuff needed for 8/25

Well here is a late list of items that will be handy to complete the masonry work on Saturday:
              Battery Operated Jig Saw for cutting form
              Small trowel and Float
              Masonery Chisel
              If anyone has any of these items they can bring with them please let me know ASAP.

The good news is that if we use all 240 Lbs of Cement for the footer the maximum amount of water needed will be 13 gallons. This is based on a .45 water to cement ratio which is recommended for footers in extreme cold settings.
              Want to see the math?
              240Lbs x 0.45 = 108Lbs Water
              108Lbs of Water / 8.33 Lbs per gallon = 12.96 Gallons
              Pretty impressive stuff for a non-engineer type person
              Ed Viesturs

Comment

Originally posted by Rik
                My understanding is that Dunbar plans to spend all weekend hauling water up that hill.
                Yes he did volunteer. I just sent him a PM hope it is not to late
                Ed Viesturs

Comment

Dunbar was signed in this afternoon - Friday 8/24 - for Adams.

Comment

Dunbar to the rescue!

Originally posted by uberturtle View Post
                    Dunbar was signed in this afternoon - Friday 8/24 - for Adams.
                    After trying several ways to reach Dunbar Thursday my only hope was that he might have enough cell coverage at some point on his drive from Keen Valley to upper works.
                    Did not happen
                    So on Friday Dunbar made two trips up Adams with 70+ Lbs of water and just to keep things even he hauled the last couple gallons up today

His Herculean effort allowed Kenmore, HAYDK and Myself to haul the rest of the tools (Sawzall, Circular Saw, Drill, Sledge hammer, Chisels, Rock Hammers, mixing tub, Floats, Scoops, Trowels, Hardware just to name a few) to the top.
                    After Dunbar and I broke up and chiseled away the old footing I let the smart guys (not me) work on designing and building the form for the new footer. I cut the straight pieces and Dunbar did the custom cuts to contour to the side of the granite slab the tower is pinned to.
                    Ken mixed and poured the cement while Haydk worked to rod the mix to keep any air pockets from forming.
                    All three of these guys worked hard to make the footer as solid as possible.
                    When that was complete Ken switched the blade in the sawzall and cut the cables that dangled from the tower for several years.
                    It was a great work day and I cannot thank these guys enough for all their hard work.
                    Ed Viesturs

Comment

Originally posted by ADKJack View Post
                      It was a great work day and I cannot thank these guys enough for all their hard work.
                      Oh we were working? I was just trying to impress chicks.
                      Hike Always.
                      http://dunbarsm.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dunbar View Post
                        Oh we were working? I was just trying to impress chicks.
                        Left that part out on purpose, Did seem like a good plan though when we did Goodnow... right son
                        Ed Viesturs

Comment

Another good work day indeed and another big (concrete) hurdle crossed off the list. Certainly felt a little pressure to get it right with everyones hard efforts to haul up the concrete and water. Inspite of all the tools we brought this time, we underestimated the incredible hardness of the Adirondack anorthosite. It laughed at Jack's concrete nails and made short work of Haydk's masonry bit... but next time (yeah, when exactly will that be?) I'll bring the (heavier)hammer drill and do it right. In spite of that error we still managed to get things formed up (thanks to Dunbar's creative work with a sawzall) and placed the concrete in good time. Looking forward to stripping the forms and seeing our handywork. Add to that the removal of the broken guy wires and a lot was accomplished.

My picture set from the day is here

Comment

Nice work, guys! Thanks so much.
                            Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

Thanks to those who lugged the water and concrete mix up the mountain. Another couple of tasks crossed off the " SAVE MT ADAMS" list. Anxious to see how the footing looks, after the form is removed.
                              South of the Border and North of the Blue Line.

Comment

Excellent work guys!
                                ADKHP Wiki

Comment

Working...
                                X