2012 Work Schedule on Mt. Adams Tower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ADKJack View Post
    Now that we have hauled up the wood for the windows this week get a slightly lighter load as we need to bring up 6, 43" lengths of angle iron to complete the railings. They weigh about 5 lb's each so it would be nice to have another 5 volunteers give us a hand.
    After we get them up top we will finish installing the couple handrails that need to be completed and then finish hanging the fencing on the remaining rails and landings.We got a good jump on this project last time.
    Once at the bottom we will divide the cement that did not make the flight to the top into smaller bags for the next foray in a few weeks.
    Please let me know if you can help by posting here or send me a PM.
    Thanks Again
    Jack
    BUMP

Looking a little lonely this weekend.
    how about Pretty Please
    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
    Ed Viesturs

Comment

a one day trip or staying overnight??
      ADK 46-R #6750W
      CL-50 - #51
      CATSKILLS- 9/39
      NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

Originally posted by vieWseeker View Post
        a one day trip or staying overnight??
        One day, I am working Friday night and Sunday Morning.
        "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
        Ed Viesturs

Comment

I think I can make it and I may have another willing victim, errr.... volunteer as well.

Comment

Crossing Lake Jimmy with cement galoshes?

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
              im guessing gonna bushwack around LJ ??

Im almost 100% I might will join you..
              ADK 46-R #6750W
              CL-50 - #51
              CATSKILLS- 9/39
              NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

Cross your fingers, the bridge should be repaired.
                ADKHP Wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Kenmore View Post
                  I think I can make it and I may have another willing victim, errr.... volunteer as well.
                  Thanks Ken, and vict....volunteer

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                  Fortunately the cement is already on the other side, and the task of getting it up top is not for a couple of more weeks.

Im almost 100% I might will join you..
                  Dont' know about the bushwhack rumor has it I have developed the same sense of direction as Neil
                  An almosst 100%maybe is good enough for me maybe the syracuse guys can carpool.

Originally posted by Kyler View Post
                  Cross your fingers, the bridge should be repaired.
                  Might take more than crossed fingers, but the Americorp crew is supposed to be in that area soon.
                  Ed Viesturs

Comment

Originally posted by ADKJack View Post

Dont' know about the bushwhack rumor has it I have developed the same sense of direction as Neil
                    Oh Stop. You have the sense of direction of an eagle!

in a wet paper bag

"I saw a squirrel!" - GIR

Comment

Rails and Fencing 6/30/12

Kenmore and his Friend Mike came down from Ottawa, VieWseeker and I came up from Syracuse to work on getting rail and fencing on the staircase. This was Rob and Mikes first trip to Mt. Adams and the adventure of water crossings especially Lake Jimmy.
                      Adding to the fun was that besides tools we were also hauling up 43" lengths of steel to complete the railings.
                      Fortunately we had been blessed with a somewhat windy but otherwise perfect day. The climb up Adams has not gotten any easier but both Mike and Rob soon discovered the payoff on the top was worth the trip.
                      We got right to work and finished mounting the posts and handrails and hanging fencing on the rails and landings, if nothing else you now feel less exposed on the climb up the tower and having handrails all the way decreases the odgita one might normally experience. We still have a small section of fencing to hang on one side of a flight and a final handrail on one side of the final climb into the cab.
                      I can not say enough about the people that have come out to help for the first time this year and the people like Kenmore who have been dedicated to the project since its inception.
                      We still have some major haulage to be done over the next couple of work dates. We have 240 lbs of concrete that has to be broken down into small packages to be brought up top to repair a footing, we will also need to bring and collect water for this project and build a frame for the new footing. I have decided that this will take more than the 2 day work weekend I originally schedules and will post more details in the near future.
                      The Foundation and I rely on the great group of folks that participate here as volunteers and I thank you for your continued support.
                      Ed Viesturs

Comment

Being my first time up Mt. Adams Jack assured me there was an escaltor once the real climing started, yet he forgot to tell me to get a lift ticket so I continued the hard way, and yes, its a long relenteless climb but few breaks it soon was over, being my first time back to any climbing since march, i was feeling it like i had Jacks 240# of concrete in my backpack.. Payoff was splended, what a different view and up close to calamity MTn..The four of us worked hard in between gazing at the Views.. was great to meet Ken and mike, thanks for all the fun guys....
                        ADK 46-R #6750W
                        CL-50 - #51
                        CATSKILLS- 9/39
                        NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

Another beautiful day on the tower. Good company and more steady progress on the repair work. Especially impressed with Rob's "zip ties in the sock" technique as we were tying off fencing on the stairs - clever hands free trick that I'll have to remember for other applications

I added a few of my pictures here. I have a few more in the "other camera" which I'll download and add to the set tonight or sometime tomorrow.

Mike seemed to enjoy himself. He told me originally he wanted to climb Adams once to see the views so he might as well help out with the restoration work at the same time... but the views were so nice that he'll probably go back again. In that case I'll try to sneak some concrete in his pack for the next trip I'm pretty sure he has often tried to slip some rocks in my pack on other trips so it seems like fair payback

Comment

Weekend of 7/14 -15

I had planned this weekend to set the forms and pour the footers hoping that the cement would already be on top. Unfortunately it is not. I am going to be up for both days in hopes of getting enough volunteers to help haul the cement.
                            See this post for details.
                            Ideally I would like to have a minimum of 12 people over the two days to keep the individual bags down to the 10 -15 lb range.

Please consider helping out if you can.
                            Thanks
                            Jack
                            Ed Viesturs

Comment

Please Note Schedule Changes in post #1
                              Due to an increase in work days around the concrete work I have added one day to the August Schedule and pushed back the trail work to the 15th of Sept.
                              I had a schedule conflict on September 8th as I am volunteering for yet another cause. This time the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation so I will be in the Mac's that day.
                              Ed Viesturs

Comment

I got the 20lbs half stash up to the firetower today, thanks to some good directions from ADKJack, I had not much of a problem finding both ends of the stash and carried the 20lb cache up to the firetower. Had to wade the hudson and remove my socks for Jiminy because I forgot my water shoes but not a big deal. I carried some small trash out on the way back and I noticed a few shards of glass along the ground that I tried to collect. Might of been from the cab or so, it doesn't look like a beer bottle anyway, but flat plate glass, like a window. So not that I think you guys are going barefoot, but FYI. Don't want to see anybody get cut or hurt by them.

Jay

Life is a short, warm moment
                                And death is a long cold rest.
                                You get your chance to try in the twinkling of an eye:
                                Eighty years, with luck, or even less.
                                -Pink Floyd

Comment

Working...
                                X