No announcement yet.

2012 Work Schedule on Mt. Adams Tower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, wish i could, spending it with Dad fishing....Happy Fathers/Grandfathers day Jack
    ADK 46-R #6750W
    CL-50 - #51
    CATSKILLS- 9/39
    NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

Jack,

I'll be there, and I think I have two able bodied mules coming with me.

EDIT: One! One able bodied mule! ah ah ah ah
      Last edited by FlyingCow; 06-12-2012, 10:02 AM.
      "I saw a squirrel!" - GIR

Comment

Jack, I regret that the schedule you've posted doesn't jibe well with our summer schedule this year. Hoping we can at least come up in September for the trail work. Thanks so much for keeping this thing going!!
        Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

I'm planning on joining. Are you leaving from here on Saturday morning?
          ADKHP Wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Kyler View Post
            I'm planning on joining. Are you leaving from here on Saturday morning?
            Cool thank you!
            Yes, figure about 4 am in order to get there by 7:30 let me know if you want to carpool.
            "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
            Ed Viesturs

Comment

Albany Chapter ADK is running a trip to Mount Adams on Friday 7/13. I'm hoping that there will be fire tower access for some views at the top. I'm not sure how many will sign up and of those that do, how many would be willing to provide mule services, but please let me know if there is something to tote. I'm thinking we can get some concrete up to the top if the need is still there.

Comment

Originally posted by moosewood View Post
                Albany Chapter ADK is running a trip to Mount Adams on Friday 7/13. I'm hoping that there will be fire tower access for some views at the top. I'm not sure how many will sign up and of those that do, how many would be willing to provide mule services, but please let me know if there is something to tote. I'm thinking we can get some concrete up to the top if the need is still there.
                I hope the weather is great for you and the group that day, as I am sure you know the views from the tower are very nice. I am hoping that all the concrete is already up there waiting for me. I had dropped off 3 80Lb bags a month ago that the DEC was going to fly up for us on the Lake Colden interior out post resupply. If not I am going to need a lot of help
                Thank you for the offer and if something comes up where I need a hand hauling anything up Friday I will let you know. I had planned on doing a two day work weekend to redo the footer, hopefully that will still be the goal.
                Enjoy the hike.
                "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
                Ed Viesturs

Comment

Windows , rails and fencing 6/16

Haydk, Kyler, Kenmore, Flying Cow and his Friend Kevin volunteered to help mule up all the lumber and tools for the season on Saturday. We had a great weather day with moderate temps and little to no problems with bugs. The first heavy climb of the season went well as the upper slopes of Adams provided the normal amount of wear and tear on the body and mind as usual. Once on top The crew helped to re-assemble the window frames for installation in the Cab. Kenmore and I installed them fairly quickly (helps when you have the right measurements) while the rest of the crew ....well I think they were eating lunch until I started yelling at them to get to work hanging fencing on the rails Then of course Ken and I started eating our lunch until we could not stand the evil glares anymore and started drilling the angle iron to install some new railings.
                  Things are coming along nicely as we got a nice jump on the next project which is to finish the rails and fencing completely.
                  The one piece of bad news is that the 240 lbs of concrete I brought up to be flown in a month ago was not able to be included in the airlift so I will be looking for a lot of volunteers to help bring the concrete up top. I will break down two of the three 80 lb. bags into smaller more manageable packages of 10 or 15 lbs each and leave the last bag for Cory ( your my hero dude)
                  All in all the day went very well and of course I can not thank the folks that help on this project enough (I would like to thank more , hint hint) It is truly a unique experience.
                  Flying Cow took some excellent pictures as did others, please post links if you can.
                  Thanks
                  Ed Viesturs

Comment

Here's pictures!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1020157...eat=directlink

It was an awesome day!
                    "I saw a squirrel!" - GIR

Comment

Thanks for all your restoration efforts ! Your hard work is very much appreciated ! I have never been to Mt Adams fire tower but that one is on my list to visit in September .
                      Not all those who wander are lost....JRR Tolkien

Comment

Great work!!!! And many thanks to each of you!!!! What great progress in just a few short hours!!! Thanks again!!!

Comment

My set of pictures HERE

Another good day with a good group. Lots getting accomplished - must be the excellent project managment that is seeing that the "to-do" list gets shorter each time we go.

Only got slightly tense when I insisted on reading off the "Canadian" side of the tape measure. Fortunately things still fit (measure twice - in any system of units you choose, drill once) so no one was flung off the tower .

Comment

Originally posted by Laurie Rankin View Post
                            Great work!!!! And many thanks to each of you!!!! What great progress in just a few short hours!!! Thanks again!!!
                            Good Crew, I forgot to mention that some slave driver had the crew do some sidecutting down low and blowdown clearing up top.
                            Great bunch of folks
                            Ed Viesturs

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbear View Post
                              Thanks for all your restoration efforts ! Your hard work is very much appreciated ! I have never been to Mt Adams fire tower but that one is on my list to visit in September .
                              I think Sept 8th is supposed to be a perfect day
                              Ed Viesturs

Comment

Fun with Steel this Saturday 6/30

Now that we have hauled up the wood for the windows this week get a slightly lighter load as we need to bring up 6, 43" lengths of angle iron to complete the railings. They weigh about 5 lb's each so it would be nice to have another 5 volunteers give us a hand.
                                After we get them up top we will finish installing the couple handrails that need to be completed and then finish hanging the fencing on the remaining rails and landings.We got a good jump on this project last time.
                                Once at the bottom we will divide the cement that did not make the flight to the top into smaller bags for the next foray in a few weeks.
                                Please let me know if you can help by posting here or send me a PM.
                                Thanks Again
                                Jack
                                Last edited by ADKJack; 06-26-2012, 03:07 PM.
                                Ed Viesturs

Comment

Working...
                                X