Missing Skier on Whiteface?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessmuk View Post
    I make it a practice to not comment on SAR incidents before information is made officially public. But in this case i had his son and several of his firefighting buddies on my search team Sun-Mon. Riding the ski lift different times with a couple of them, all said this kind of thing could never happen with this family guy,"he is definitely here injured off the ski trail someplace". The terrain off the ski trails is generally pretty miserable for any kind of travel.
    Myself as well; and of course I was careful not to say anything specific. "Learn it here, leave it here" is what I was taught. But this one is a real shocker. Naturally, everyone is very happy, because by about day three, we were certain we were on a recovery, not a rescue. It remains to be seen how he ended up where he ended up. No one should make conclusions yet, until the rest of the story comes out.

Toronto Fire spokesman handled these questions extremely well in the presser. Solid spokesman.

Comment

Toronto Fire dept's spokesman said they found him in Sacremento still wearing his ski clothing and helmet.

If you thought spruce-traps were bad, this guy fell into a space-time wormhole on Whiteface and popped out a week later in Sacramento!

... or some of this story's details are getting mangled.

Looking for Views!

Comment

• Makwa
        Makwa commented
        Editing a comment
        The Philadelphia Experiment comes to the Adirondacks?

More video...

http://www.wcvb.com/article/missing-...ornia/17805480

Comment

• Trail Boss
        Trail Boss commented
        Editing a comment
        " ...still was wearing the same clothing he had on ... including the helmet and goggles he was last seen in "
        "He was 'confused' and 'unable to give direct answers' "

Typical reaction to wormhole travel. Nothing to see here.

Originally posted by Woodly View Post
      Over 7,000 man hours spent searching for someone who left on his own accord? Wow. He'd better get his butt kicked and write a big check for everyone's misery who searched plus for those who believed they lost a friend. I'd say unbelievable but in today's world, what is?
      Appears maybe a 'medical issue' was involved. We'll wait and see.

Comment

A medical condition involving cross-country travel?

Is it wanderlust?
        Looking for Views!

Comment

There was an old Steven Wright joke... "I took my dog for a walk, all the way from New York to Florida. I said to him, There, now you're done."

Maybe this guy took up cross-country skiing, got to California and said, "There, I'm done."

Comment

Maybe he went looking for Steven Thomas? [remember him?].

Steven Wright is/was a funny man-is he still alive?

Comment

• Makwa
              Makwa commented
              Editing a comment
              Steven Wright is alive.

Which Steven Thomas? There's a few of note.

• Trail Boss
              Trail Boss commented
              Editing a comment
              The Steven Thomas that's the subject of Chapter 8 in 'At the Mercy of the Mountains'.

When I started hiking in the High Peaks (in the Disco Era), I saw his "Lost" posters nailed to trail-registers. Let me tell you, that's one sobering sight for a beginner.

• Makwa
              Makwa commented
              Editing a comment
              Ah... yes... read the book but did not recall the name. The others named Steven Thomas have nothing to do with hiking so everything now makes sense. Thanx.

Disco era, huh? Did you own hiking boots with Cuban heels?

Day 1: Skiing down Whiteface.
            Day 7: Found in a confused state across the continent, still wearing his ski clothes and helmet.

Props to his stiff-lipped fire-fighting buddies, That's one mother of a practical joke.
            Looking for Views!

Comment

Mental illness? Bi-polar depression?
              Project-100: 100 peaks, one winter. https://project100singlewinter.wordpress.com/

Comment

I've OFTEN fantasized while riding my motorcycle of just keeping on riding, often in the western direction. Maybe this guy just needed to get away.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                  Mental illness? Bi-polar depression?
                  Certainly possible. But the whole California thing has me thrown. How does one get cross country with no ID (not sure if he had money) and without anybody noticing he's wearing all his skiing gear, is in a daze, and possibly in need of some help? If they found him walking down Canada Street in Lake George the day after he went missing I could wrap my head around that he made it 75 miles without anybody somehow noticing him but almost a week and 2900 miles? This guy didn't run into anybody that tried to help him or that he could have asked for help from? Without flying it would take 50 hours of non-stop driving to get to California. With no ID, trains and buses are out. This guy is either the best hitchhiker of all time or somebody who knew him drove him there. Maybe he ran into a widowed shower curtain ring salesman and they teamed up to get cross country by any means necessary. That might make a good movie. Whatever the story ends up being I imagine it will be incredible.

Comment

• autochromatica
                    autochromatica commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "a widowed shower curtain ring salesman" hahahahahahaha

• Trail Boss
                    Trail Boss commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Those aren't pillows!

He skied pretty quick to make it to Sacramento in 5 days . Yes the Steven Thomas that was lost or walked off Marcy in what 76? was the one I referred to. I was there and a few years later swear I saw him on the trail and then he vanished [again]. Strange all around.

Comment

• Trail Boss
                    Trail Boss commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Jeans and long hair. All guys in the 70's looked like Steven Thomas.

I thought all along he might be in Sacramento.
                  I might be kidding...

Comment

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/wor...New-York-video

Well, obviously.
                    My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

• gebby
                      gebby commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The next run they cut at Whiteface, DEFINITELY needs to be called "The Wormhole"! :P

Originally posted by CatskillKev View Post
                    I thought all along he might be in Sacramento.
                    I had been thinking Fresno but obviously I was way off.
                    Project-100: 100 peaks, one winter. https://project100singlewinter.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X