Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Missing hiker near Wallface

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing hiker near Wallface

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoo...art_river_home

This guy is a friend of a friend... Signed in from Upper Works on sept 2nd for a 3 day trip and hasn't been heard from since. Car at the trailhead, lots of cold rainy weather last week. It doesn't sound good. If anyone has any more info please pass it along.

Thanks,
    Mike G

My heart goes out to his family and friends. Keeping my fingers crossed for a positive outcome.
    We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing ~ Satchel Paige

Comment

I don't like the part about "he was in a bitter frame of mind", quickly followed in the article that he was "not despondent or intending to harm himself" that I read in one report. Sounds like someone who might not be safe in his actions out there.
      Last edited by gebby; 09-13-2017, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gebby View Post
        I don't like the part about "he was in a bitter frame of mind", quickly followed in the article that he was "not despondent or intending to harm himself" that I read in one report. Sounds like someone who might not be safe in his actions out there.
        Your comment had me wondering.
        Turns out there's two posts on this and the article you referred to is in the other one under "General Hiking Information"

Comment

Forest Rangers located a campsite on the summit of Wallface Mountain, tracks and other signs leading from that camp which they determined belonged to missing hiker Alex Stevens.
        -Joe

Comment

Thanks for posting, Mike G. I got the call yesterday from the NYS Troopers and came here to add a post. Hope hikers who are going to be in that neck of the park (Indian Pass via Upper Works) can keep an eye out. I'm not on social media, but hopefully the story is also getting pushed on the Facebook forums.

Comment

• gebby
            gebby commented
            Editing a comment
            Being discussed on various Facebook pages.

Someone just posted on one of the 46er Facebook groups that Alex Steven's body was found. DEC was supposedly having a press conference at 430 PM. I haven't found anything definitive on this yet.

Comment

Press reports are saying his body was located near Wallface Pond today about noon.
            44/46

Comment

NCPR.org: Update: Missing man found dead after a search in the deepest Adirondack wilderness

​A few more details in the Post-Star: DEC: Missing hiker found dead

​Undoubtedly there'll be more information revealed tomorrow. ​

​My deepest condolences to his family and friends. I hope his discovery can provide some closure for you.

​My congratulations to the DEC and volunteers who worked tirelessly to locate Alex Stevens in very difficult terrain.
              Last edited by Trail Boss; 09-18-2017, 05:35 PM.
              Looking for Views!

Comment

• Makwa
                Makwa commented
                Editing a comment
                Your link to the Post Star article isn't working. Maybe mine will... http://poststar.com/news/local/dec-m...b0b022b59.html

• Trail Boss
                Trail Boss commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks. Fixed. The forum's software occasionally inserts an invisible control code into URLs (& 8203) and wrecks them.

• gebby
                gebby commented
                Editing a comment
                How disappointing that five people(to date) had reacted with a "funny" emoticon to that story in the Post Star. :(

Updated information here: http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise...face-mountain/

Comment

Newer and sadder info here as well... http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise...-wilderness-2/

Died of pneumonia just three days before his body was found. Some quick math suggests that if he was reported overdue in a timely fashion rather than 6 days later he probably would have been found alive.

Comment

• gebby
                  gebby commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If only he had left his itinerary with someone! :(

• NickWI
                  NickWI commented
                  Editing a comment
                  He was still alive when I heard the helicopter from Marshall on the 12th. While our preparedness levels were opposite ends of the spectrum, it still feels really close. My thoughts are with his family and friends.
              Working...
              X